View Single Post
Old Thursday, May 14, 2015

IslamabadKid is on a distinguished road
Post Crude Explanation: How LED works

Answering to the picture shared in this thread regarding light emitting diode- which is being displayed on my mobile(2 hours before loaded page), but not on my PC mysteriously(refreshed an moment ago), I am going to elaborate its functionality in a layman's jargon so as to parcel out more to the people here having no science-background. At least let me try to present it in an informal, less technical way.

Please see the picture below in this thread, as all the illustrations are messed because I did not know that this forum did not support the "wide-spaces!"(unlike stackoverflow etc)

Suppose you have two boxes, one filled with + signs(let's call it p) and the other filled with - (minus signs; bold one lol; lets call it n) as depicted below:

--------|
++++ | <--- Box "p" filled with +s
--------|

--------|
-----| <--- Box "n" filled with -s
--------|

And assume that + repels +, but attracts -(minus | bold); and -(minus | bold) repel -(minus | bold), but attracts +.

Now let's suppose that you have two rods, vertically aligned besides each other; one big(three vertical lines with + sign) and one small(one vertical line with minus sign at the top) as illustrated below(which technically is the sign/representation of a battery):

+ | -
--- | |----
|

Now let's join the p and boxes(which is an oversimplified explanation, but to get some idea, let's do it! lol)
FIGURE 1.1

|------|-------|
| ++ | - - |
|------|-------|
| | |
| v |
| B |
v v
P-BOX N-BOX

B above represents the "BOARDER" between two boxes!

You must have a question: "HEY YOU SAID THAT + attracts - and vice versa, but here both are present in their boxes, not attracted towards one and another?"

If you asked this question, you are surely going in the right direction. lol

PLOT TWIST: Assume that when + crosses the boarder, it will leave
- behind; and when - crosses the boarder, it will leave + behind.

It means upon every crossing, both will cancel each other out.

However, at the end, there may be more +s in P-box than -s in N-box; or the other way around, which is there may be more -s in N-box than +s in P-box.

Now connect the boxes(FIGURE 1.1) with the battery like:

+ | -
-----------| |----------
| | |
| |
| |
| |------|-------| |
|--| ++ | - - |-----|
|------|-------|

The + rod will push the +s in P-box towards right, and - rod will push -s in N-box in the left direction. You must be wondering how? (Silly, partially incorrect explanation is coming up) As I stated before that + repels +, but attracts -; and - repels -, but attracts +.

Are you imagining what is going to happen?
YES! - will CROSS the barrier because the smaller rod( - at the top) will push the - in the box constantly while saying, actually yelling:"HEY! HEY! I HATE YOU! STAY AWAY FROM ME! KEEP THE DISTANCE! NO? OKAY! I AM GOING TO PUSH YOU AWAY! AWAYYYYYYY!"

During this all process, -s in the N-box WILL CROSS BOARDER, and whenever a battery(which in our case are two vertically aligned rods) attached to boxes, and -s crosses the boarder, ENERGY WILL BE RELEASED IN THE FORM OF PHOTONS(in simple, less accurate terminology, LIGHT)!

That's how this whole LED works!
P-Box is made of special material; so is the N-Box.

How they are made, will be discussed later(if necessary) as my leisure time ends here, so is the little bit crude knowledge regarding LEDs and my pathetic try to teach you guys a little bit of science(in really really oversimplified way, just to give you the flavour. Obviously, there are a lot of thing I have skipped during this process, and violated many different technicalities! However, this process will at least help you remember the CIRCUIT diagram for future purposes!)

PLEASE CHECK THE SYMBOL OF LIGHT EMITTING DIODE IN THE PICTURE MENTIONED BELOW:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tion-LED-E.svg
(Black one)

Dinner ends; leisure times ends; so I need to zip my lips as well.

-israr

Last edited by IslamabadKid; Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Messed up illustrations