View Single Post
Old Monday, April 14, 2008
Perfectionist!!
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Best Moderator Award: Awarded for censoring all swearing and keeping posts in order. - Issue reason: 2011Moderator: Ribbon awarded to moderators of the forum - Issue reason:

Thanked 1,345 Times in 584 Posts
marwatone is a splendid one to beholdmarwatone is a splendid one to beholdmarwatone is a splendid one to beholdmarwatone is a splendid one to beholdmarwatone is a splendid one to beholdmarwatone is a splendid one to beholdmarwatone is a splendid one to behold
Default Awards Of Pakistan

Awards Of Pakistan

Military Awards

Awards and decorations of the Pakistan military are military decorations which recognize a member's service and personal accomplishments while a member of the Pakistan armed forces.

1.Nishan-i-Haider
This is Pakistan's highest decoration for the greatest acts of bravery in battle. The decoration may be awarded to any member of Pakistan's armed forces, regardless of rank or branch of service, for extraordinary bravery in the face of the enemy. It is, therefore, in the same category as Great Britain's Victoria Cross. The decoration carries with it an award of Rs. 10,000, plus monthly allowances for junior commissioned officers of Rs. 50/month and for non-commissioned officers and men of Rs. 25/month. Recipients may use the abbreviation N.H. after their names. The decoration takes its name after the famous military hero, Ali Haider (1722-82 C.E.).
Established:
16 March 1957, by the President of Pakistan.

Recipients

Captain Muhammad Sarwar Shaheed (1910–July 27, 1948)

Major Tufail Muhammad Shaheed (1914–August 7, 1958)

Major Raja Aziz Bhatti Shaheed (1928–September 10, 1965)

Major Muhammad Akram Shaheed (1938–1971)

Pilot Officer Rashid Minhas Shaheed(Air Force) (1951–August 20, 1971)

Major Shabbir Sharif Shaheed (1943–December 6, 1971)

Jawan Sowar Muhammad Hussain Shaheed (1949–December 10, 1971)

Lance Naik Muhammad Mahfuz Shaheed (1944–December 17, 1971)

Captain Karnal Sher Khan Shaheed (1970–July 5, 1999)

Lalak Jan Shaheed (1967–July 7, 1999)

2.Hilal-i-Jurat

Hilal-i-Jurat is the second highest military award of Pakistan. It is admissible to officers of the three services for act of valour, courage or devotion to duty performed on land, at sea or in air.

The award carried the right to use the post nominal abbreviation H.J. This decoration is a rough equivalent to the British Distinguished Service Order.

Established: 16 March 1957, by the President of Pakistan.

3.Sitara-i-Jurat

Sitara-i-Jurat, is the 3rd highest Military medal of Pakistan. It is admissible to all ranks for gallant and distinguished service in combat. It is normally awarded to officers /junior commissioned officers.

The award carried the right to use S.J. as a post nominal abbreviation. Junior Commissioned Officers were eligible to receive a monthly allowance of Rs. 30. The decoration is roughly comparable to the British Military Cross.

4.Tamgha-i-Jurat

Tamgha-i-Jurat, is the 4th highest Military medal of Pakistan. It is admissible to all ranks for gallantry and distinguished services in combat.

The award carried the right to use the post nominal abbreviation T.J. and, for non-commissioned officers and enlisted men, a monthly allowance of Rs. 15. The decoration is roughly comparable to the British Distinguished Conduct Medal.

5.Sitara-i-Basalat and Tamgha-i-Basalat

Awarded to all ranks of the Pakistani military for valor, courage, or devotion to duty while not in combat. The award was originally established as the Tamgha-i-Basalat, Class I and Class II. The name was later altered. It is not clear what changes in design - if any.
Established: 16 March 1957, by the President of Pakistan .

Civil Awards

According to the Article 259(2) of the Constitution of Pakistan 1973, along with the Decorations Act 1975, the President of Pakistan confers civil awards on Pakistani citizens in recognition of gallantry, or distinction in academics, sports, or nursing.

The scope of the awards is as follows:

*A Gallantry means an act of bravery, heroism, courage and the rendering of dedicated services with selfless devotion in human rights and public service.

*Academic distinction includes:

Research, achievement or performance in Medicine, Science, Engineering, Technology, Philosophy, History, Literature or the Arts, and

*An invention of national importance.

In addition, the President’s Awards for Pride of Performance can be conferred for outstanding achievements in the fields of Art, Literature, Science,Sports and Nursing.

Citizens of Pakistan are eligible for awards in the Order of Shuja’at, Imtiaz and President’s Awards for Pride of Performance while foreign nationals can be given civil awards in any Order for eminence and outstanding services to Pakistan in a significant field of activity.

The announcement of civil awards is generally made once a year on Independence Day, 14th of August, and their investiture takes place on the following Pakistan Day, 23rd of March.

Pakistan Civil Awards, instituted in 1958, comprise following five Orders.

1.The Order of Pakistan
2.The Order of Shuja’at
3.The Order of Imtiaz
4.The Order of Quaid-i-Azam
5.The Order of Khidmat

Each Order has four descending categories namely, Nishan, Hilal, Sitara and Tamgha. The seniority of the Awards, including the President’s Pride of Performance awards, is as follows:

01- Nishan-i-Pakistan
02- Nishan-i-Shuja’at
03- Nishan-i-Imtiaz
04- Nishan-i-Quaid-i-Azam
05- Nishan-i-Khidmat

06- Hilal-i-Pakistan
07- Hilal-i-Shuja’at
08- Hilal-i-Imtiaz
09- Hilal-i-Quaid-i-Azam
10- Hilal-i-Khidmat

11- Sitara-i-Pakistan
12- Sitara-i-Shuja at
13- Sitara-i-Imtiaz
14- President’s Award for Pride of Performance
15- Sitara-i-Quaid-i-Azam
16- Sitara-i-Khidmat

17- Tamgha-i-Pakistan
18- Tamgha-i-Shuja’at
19- Tamgha-i-Imtiaz
20- Tamgha-i-Quaid-i-Azam
21- Tamgha-i-Khidmat

Nishan-i-Pakistan

Awarded for the highest degree of service to the state. Established: 19 March 1957.

Nishan-i-Shujaat

Awarded for military and civilian acts of courage under circumstances of danger to oneself. In general, these are not acts of bravery performed under hostile fire or in combat situations. In very general terms, the decoration is similar to British's George Cross and George Medal.

Nishan-i-Imtiaz

Nishan-i-Imtiaz is the highest honor given to a civilian in Pakistan. Usually it is regarded as the highest award one can achieve in Pakistan as the top most award Nishan-e-Pakistan is awarded to the foreign Heads of States.

Nishan-i-Imtiaz, which translates as the sign of excellence, is an honour given by the Government of Pakistan to both the military and civilians. For those in the military it is given after distinguished service and is also the highest medal award that can be awarded to those at the rank of General.

Nishan-i-Quaid-i-Azam

Awarded for meritorious service to the state, both civilian and military. The decoration is named to commemorate the founder of the nation, Quaid-i-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah.

Nishan-i-Khidmat

Awarded for general meritorious civilian service to the state. While not uniquely a civilian decoration, the Nishan-i-Khidmat essentially filled this niche, with the Tamgah-i-Khidmat serves as a military division.

Hilal-i-Imtiaz

Hilal-i-Imtiaz is the second highest honor given to a civilian or a military personnel in Pakistan.

Hilal-i-Imtiaz, which translates as the crescent of excellence, is an honour given by the Government of Pakistan to both the military and civilians. For those in the military it is given after distinguished service and is also the highest medal award that can be awarded to those at the rank of Major General/Lieutenant General.

Sitara-i-Imtiaz

Sitara-i-Imtiaz is the third highest honour given to a civilian or military personnel in Pakistan.

Sitara-i-Imtiaz, which translates as the star of excellence, is an honour given by the Government of Pakistan to both the military and civilians. For those in the military it is given after distinguished service and is also the highest medal award that can be awarded to those at the rank of Brigadier/Major General.

Tamgha-i-Imtiaz

Tamgha-i-Imtiaz , which translates as the medal of excellence, is fourth highest honour given by the Government of Pakistan to both the military and civilians. For those in the military it is given after distinguished service and is also the highest medal award that can be awarded to those at the rank of Colonel.

Pride of Performance

Pride of Performance is a civil award given by the Government of Pakistan to Pakistanis who did any respectable jobs in their fields. Established on 13th January 1983 by president Zia-Ul-Haq. It is awarded to a Pakistani nationals in recognition of notable achievement in the fields of art, science, literature, sports or nursing. This award does not have any particular standing in Pakistani civil decorations hierarchy, but is regarded as one of the highest honours in Pakistan. The award of the medal may be accompanied by a monetary award. The president of Pakistan reserves himself the right to confer the award, unaccompanied by a monetary award, upon persons who are not citizens of Pakistan.

Tamgha-i-Jamhuria / Republic Medal

Awarded to commemorate the inauguration of the Republic of Pakistan, 23 March 1956. Awarded to members of the Pakistani armed forces, police forces, selected civilian officials, and selected non-officials. The medal was also awarded in gold to heads of foreign delegations attending the inauguration ceremonies as official State representatives. Established: 16 March 1957, by the President of Pakistan.

Last edited by Last Island; Monday, April 14, 2008 at 09:00 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marwatone For This Useful Post:
A Rehman Pal (Monday, April 14, 2008), Princess Royal (Monday, April 14, 2008), spectrum (Monday, April 14, 2008)