View Single Post
Old Sunday, March 06, 2016
45th CTP (IRS)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2016 - Merit 135

Meme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergenius View Post
You did it the right way using the tangible and non tangible elements of national power.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Hey,

So the thing with a subject like IR is that there is no one right answer, it has a lot to do with the theoretical perspective one empasizes. And there are many different Ir theorists each with a specific way of looking at each concept especially power.

You have the very famous theory by Lukes who treats power as having 3 faces; agenda setting etc.
Now this question used the word national power so I'm guessing here one had to talk about how states acquire power relative to other states. In that context surely hanna you answered correctly.

But as I pointed out above there could have been different ways of looking at national power, you could have talked about the transnational influence of big corporations and how they are a form of neo imperialism, a source of national power.

Surely time will tell how the examiner wanted this question interpreted. But I'd like to put it out there that perhaps questions shouldn't be phrased using terminology such as the basic ingrediants because every Ir theorist and theory has given its version of what power is. Just my two cents.

Regards,