PAPER - I (Marks - l00)
- The Pre-Islamic Arabic Literature.
- The Quran, its language, contents and style: its influence on the subsequent literature.
- Quranic semantics and etymology with special reference to lhn Manzoor's Lisan al' Arab and Raghib al-Asfahani's Mufradat fi Gharib al-Quran.
- Literary Hisfoiy and I.iterary criticism-literary movements. classical backgou nd, socio-cultural influences and modern trends. Origin and development of modern literary genres, including drama, novcl, short story, essay.
- Contribution of Arabs in the fields of science. philosophy and lin guistics with special reference to the views of the lhn Khaldun, al biruni. al-Jahiz. Ibn Maskawaih, lhn Maja, al-Kasai and Sebawaih
- A short introduction to Pakistani Arabic literature in the fields of prose and poetry.
- The contemporary Arabic literature in Egypt, Lebanon and Iraq with special emphasis on the literature of al-Mahjer and its out standing representatives such as Jabran KhaliI Jabran, Ilia Abu Medhi, Mckhail Naeema. and timer Abu Risha.
- A short Essay in Arabic.
PAPER-II (Marks - 100)
This paper will require first-hand reading of the texts prescribed and will be designed to test the candidates critical ability.
- 1. Imarul Qais : His Maullaqah :- "Qifaa Nabki mim Zakraa Habibin Wa Manzili" (Complete).
- Zohair Bin Abi Sulma His Maullaqah "A Min Umme Aufaa Dimnatun lam takalami" (Complete).
- Hassan Bin Thhit .' The following five Qasaid from his Daiwan : From Qasidah No. I to Qasidah No. IV and the Qasidah :-- Lillahi Darru Kaaba Nadamtuhum.
- Labeed: Af'atiddiyaru Mahalluha Wa Maqammuha Mahmud Timur: Story : "Ammi Mutawalli" (From :)
- Taufiq Al-Hakim : Dramas : Sirrul Muntahiraa" from his book "Masra-hiyaatu Tu fiqal Haki rn'.
- Dr. Rana M. N. Ehsan Elahie : Nafais al-Adab, [P.U.B.A. (Hons) Course].
- Dr. Jalal al-A hawat arid others "Jarikh-ul-A bad-il-A rabi-il-Hadith"
- Dr. Taha Hussain : Hadith al-A raba'a
- Isa an-Na'uri : Adab al-mahjer
- George Saidah : Adabuna wal- Udabafi Adab al-Mahjer
- Dr. De Boer: The History of Philosophy in Islam
Candidates will he required to answer some questions carrying not less than 25% marks in Arabic also.