Thursday, October 01, 2020
09:56 AM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > Beginner's Guide > Tips and Experience Sharing

Tips and Experience Sharing Your unique experience and tips can be highly valuable to thousands of them who plan to appear for exams this year or in the future years.You can share your experiences and golden tips with us.

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old Tuesday, May 02, 2017
sky the limit's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: IN a beautiful place
Posts: 21
Thanks: 12
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
sky the limit is on a distinguished road
Smile why CSS candidtes fail an essay paper

Aslamoalikum everyone,
I hope you guys are doing fine and working hard for CSS-2018. Good luck
Since the CSS examinations is the matter of luck and hard work , many aspirants use the wrong strategy and fail in an essay paper .I have seen a number of aspirants focusing on all subjects by ignoring a very crucial subject .AS per their views , by making outlines will be enough for this subject. I think , this subject is equally important and can only be improved by practicing giving more time .I thought of making a threat for knowing seniors’ views and CSPS members regarding essay paper

It is requested to all respected members to throw some light on a very significent topic.
Regards
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sky the limit For This Useful Post:
étoile brillante (Sunday, August 27, 2017)
  #2  
Old Tuesday, May 02, 2017
quantumX's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Lahore
Posts: 288
Thanks: 142
Thanked 167 Times in 123 Posts
quantumX is on a distinguished road
Default

Having read your thoughts on essay paper, I conclude that you have rightly pointed out the factors which are responsible for the failure of most of aspirants in essay paper. And you also said that practicing and giving more time were the key to make one enable to get through this paper. In the syllabus, there's something important written about the essay that candidates are expected to reflect comprehensive and researched based knowledge. And I guess, these two points sum up everything. One can only be able write the comprehensive essay when he has thoroughly carried out a research on the the topics and one can develop this ability by reading and writing extensively. As you mentioned that most of the aspirants are of the opinion that making outlines for the essay topics are enough for the preparation which is really a wrong strategy for this paper and due to which most of the aspirants fail. What needs to be done is that one first marks the repetitive topics by going through the past papers and then study thoroughly one by one along with practice.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to quantumX For This Useful Post:
sky the limit (Wednesday, May 03, 2017)
  #3  
Old Tuesday, May 02, 2017
44th CTP (PG)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2015 - Merit 213
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: In the Blessing of God
Posts: 32
Thanks: 4
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
letsfly is on a distinguished road
Smile Simple art of essay writing

Essay writing is an art . I never failed in Essay because I knew how to tackle it. I qualified CSS /Pcs all attempts but was not allocated thrice. Now, I have retired from CSS/PCS preparation.

Tips for Eng Essay

1- Understand the topic
2- Develop thesis statement
3- At least 6 to 8 strong arguments to prove your thesis statement.Your every paragraph after intro paragraph should restate your thesis statement
4- Reproduce your introduction in ur conclusioun
5- Interesting and effective concluding lines.

Finally practice is imp

I believe that you can never fail in essay if guided the right way.

Best of Luck CSS Aspirants
Especially Nadir, Asif, and Nayyar Bhai
__________________
And those who look only to past & the present are certain to miss the future
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to letsfly For This Useful Post:
Duxbux (Wednesday, May 03, 2017), sky the limit (Wednesday, May 03, 2017)
  #4  
Old Tuesday, May 02, 2017
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 30
Thanks: 1
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Here2Learn is on a distinguished road
Default

Part of the reason why they fail could be not maintaining the skills of communication:
- writing more or less than what's required
- being irrelevant
- being untruthful
- using heavy terms

To get deeper understanding, you may look out Paul Graci's work on Speech Art. The best place to read his philosophy of communication is https://plato.stanford.edu
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Here2Learn For This Useful Post:
sky the limit (Wednesday, May 03, 2017)
  #5  
Old Wednesday, May 03, 2017
trotsky59's Avatar
Senior Member
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2008
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Karachi
Posts: 125
Thanks: 8
Thanked 110 Times in 56 Posts
trotsky59 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky the limit View Post
Aslamoalikum everyone,
I hope you guys are doing fine and working hard for CSS-2018. Good luck
Since the CSS examinations is the matter of luck and hard work , many aspirants use the wrong strategy and fail in an essay paper .I have seen a number of aspirants focusing on all subjects by ignoring a very crucial subject .AS per their views , by making outlines will be enough for this subject. I think , this subject is equally important and can only be improved by practicing giving more time .I thought of making a threat for knowing seniors’ views and CSPS members regarding essay paper

It is requested to all respected members to throw some light on a very significent topic.
Regards
I have come across number of CSS students who have been completely misguided regarding important paper of easy.
Here are some of these misconceptions:
1) Paper of essay is topic based and you have to “prepare” a certain topic. People often ask “which topic should we prepare for this year’s essay?”

2) There exists an “authentic knowledge” outside the aspirant’s mind and he has to come closer to that “authentic knowledge” by preparing that particular topic.
3) Essay Guides and CSS academies are the main source of that authentic knowledge

Along with these misconceptions the main practice which is followed for the preparation of Essay writing is :
1) Acquire authentic topic based knowledge by collection facts and figures and a huge data as a supporting evidence for the argumentation.
2) Memorize that material as a passive receptive reader without critically reading it
3) Find the topic in paper in which your memorized data can fit and reproduce it in paper.
Now here is the right method to prepare for essay:
First of all paper of essay writing is not TOPIC based but it is DISCOURSE based. Now read any of the past paper and see what is written on top of the paper. You have to engage yourself in a certain discourse. There are four types of discourses
1) Exposition
2) Narration
3) Argumentation
4) Narration
(For reference see: Modern Rhetoric by Cleanth Brooks page 32 )
The proper way to ask is “what are the current discourses from which essay paper is expected” Look at the past papers these are all based on current discourses such a Colonialism/Post colonialism, Globalization, Terrorism, Good Governance, Feminism, Economic issue etc.
Secondly in paper these discourses are in the form of CLAIM or TOPIC
Topic based essays are mainly descriptive. In descriptive essay the examiner assumes that he knows nothing about the TOPIC and you have to describe it with clarity.
CLAIM based essays are mainly argumentative such as
Modernity is an unending project (2017)
Literature is a lonely planet of idealist (2017)
Are modern wars not holy wars (2017)
In argumentative essay you have either to attack or defend the main claim (Most of the students think that you have only to defend the main claim). Secondly in argumentative essay the examiner assumes that you possess a certain knowledge about that topic such as Colonialism or Feminism so you are not required to give definitions. (Most of the students start argumentative essay with defining and describing the Key Words which is a blunder)
Preparation of essay writing stars from the way you read. Most of the CSS student study as “passive receptive readers”. Means they just memories what they read and purpose is to reproduce it in examination. The very basic thing needed to prepare an essay (and other papers too) is to study any text a an “ Active Analytical Reader” Means asking questions about the topic, analyzing, criticizing it and developing one’s own remarks on the certain topic. In short read to conceptualize things. For essay writing one has to follow this process
1) Active analytical reading
2) Comprehension
3) Conceptualization
4) Organization
5) Expression.
There are lots of things to discuss regarding preparation of essay but due to shortage of time I am leaving now. In few days I will discuss in detail:

1) Three Main parts of Discourse: Introduction, Main Body, Conclusion.
2) Active Analytical Reading
3) Types of Discourse (Exposition, Argumentation, Narration, Description and their use in essay)
4) Unity and Coherence
5) Emphasis
6) Style
7) Language and Tone of Essay
8) Conclusion.

For assessment of essay send your essay on my email.
Regards
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to trotsky59 For This Useful Post:
Duxbux (Wednesday, May 03, 2017), Libraa (Wednesday, May 03, 2017), ShehzadYousafzai (Monday, May 08, 2017), sky the limit (Wednesday, May 03, 2017), spring snow (Thursday, July 27, 2017)
  #6  
Old Wednesday, May 03, 2017
sky the limit's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: IN a beautiful place
Posts: 21
Thanks: 12
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
sky the limit is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumX View Post
Having read your thoughts on essay paper, I conclude that you have rightly pointed out the factors which are responsible for the failure of most of aspirants in essay paper. And you also said that practicing and giving more time were the key to make one enable to get through this paper. In the syllabus, there's something important written about the essay that candidates are expected to reflect comprehensive and researched based knowledge. And I guess, these two points sum up everything. One can only be able write the comprehensive essay when he has thoroughly carried out a research on the the topics and one can develop this ability by reading and writing extensively. As you mentioned that most of the aspirants are of the opinion that making outlines for the essay topics are enough for the preparation which is really a wrong strategy for this paper and due to which most of the aspirants fail. What needs to be done is that one first marks the repetitive topics by going through the past papers and then study thoroughly one by one along with practice.
Thankyou for your useful suggestions . Mostly aspirants have access to stereotyped resources. owing to this ,they keep practising on the flawed facts and figures .Thus ,their this strategy leads them to failure .
With research based knowlege and right strategy ,one can definetly win this race
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Wednesday, May 03, 2017
sky the limit's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: IN a beautiful place
Posts: 21
Thanks: 12
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
sky the limit is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotsky59 View Post
I have come across number of CSS students who have been completely misguided regarding important paper of easy.
Here are some of these misconceptions:
1) Paper of essay is topic based and you have to “prepare” a certain topic. People often ask “which topic should we prepare for this year’s essay?”

2) There exists an “authentic knowledge” outside the aspirant’s mind and he has to come closer to that “authentic knowledge” by preparing that particular topic.
3) Essay Guides and CSS academies are the main source of that authentic knowledge

Along with these misconceptions the main practice which is followed for the preparation of Essay writing is :
1) Acquire authentic topic based knowledge by collection facts and figures and a huge data as a supporting evidence for the argumentation.
2) Memorize that material as a passive receptive reader without critically reading it
3) Find the topic in paper in which your memorized data can fit and reproduce it in paper.
Now here is the right method to prepare for essay:
First of all paper of essay writing is not TOPIC based but it is DISCOURSE based. Now read any of the past paper and see what is written on top of the paper. You have to engage yourself in a certain discourse. There are four types of discourses
1) Exposition
2) Narration
3) Argumentation
4) Narration
(For reference see: Modern Rhetoric by Cleanth Brooks page 32 )
The proper way to ask is “what are the current discourses from which essay paper is expected” Look at the past papers these are all based on current discourses such a Colonialism/Post colonialism, Globalization, Terrorism, Good Governance, Feminism, Economic issue etc.
Secondly in paper these discourses are in the form of CLAIM or TOPIC
Topic based essays are mainly descriptive. In descriptive essay the examiner assumes that he knows nothing about the TOPIC and you have to describe it with clarity.
CLAIM based essays are mainly argumentative such as
Modernity is an unending project (2017)
Literature is a lonely planet of idealist (2017)
Are modern wars not holy wars (2017)
In argumentative essay you have either to attack or defend the main claim (Most of the students think that you have only to defend the main claim). Secondly in argumentative essay the examiner assumes that you possess a certain knowledge about that topic such as Colonialism or Feminism so you are not required to give definitions. (Most of the students start argumentative essay with defining and describing the Key Words which is a blunder)
Preparation of essay writing stars from the way you read. Most of the CSS student study as “passive receptive readers”. Means they just memories what they read and purpose is to reproduce it in examination. The very basic thing needed to prepare an essay (and other papers too) is to study any text a an “ Active Analytical Reader” Means asking questions about the topic, analyzing, criticizing it and developing one’s own remarks on the certain topic. In short read to conceptualize things. For essay writing one has to follow this process
1) Active analytical reading
2) Comprehension
3) Conceptualization
4) Organization
5) Expression.
There are lots of things to discuss regarding preparation of essay but due to shortage of time I am leaving now. In few days I will discuss in detail:

1) Three Main parts of Discourse: Introduction, Main Body, Conclusion.
2) Active Analytical Reading
3) Types of Discourse (Exposition, Argumentation, Narration, Description and their use in essay)
4) Unity and Coherence
5) Emphasis
6) Style
7) Language and Tone of Essay
8) Conclusion.

For assessment of essay send your essay on my email.
Regards
Sir the way that you enlightened us is commendable .It will really help us and other aspiratns too.
Yes sir ,I strongly agreed with your opinion that many students are misguided .This is why ,our real talent is diminshing unfortunately .
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Wednesday, May 03, 2017
sky the limit's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: IN a beautiful place
Posts: 21
Thanks: 12
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
sky the limit is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotsky59 View Post
I have come across number of CSS students who have been completely misguided regarding important paper of easy.
Here are some of these misconceptions:
1) Paper of essay is topic based and you have to “prepare” a certain topic. People often ask “which topic should we prepare for this year’s essay?”

2) There exists an “authentic knowledge” outside the aspirant’s mind and he has to come closer to that “authentic knowledge” by preparing that particular topic.
3) Essay Guides and CSS academies are the main source of that authentic knowledge

Along with these misconceptions the main practice which is followed for the preparation of Essay writing is :
1) Acquire authentic topic based knowledge by collection facts and figures and a huge data as a supporting evidence for the argumentation.
2) Memorize that material as a passive receptive reader without critically reading it
3) Find the topic in paper in which your memorized data can fit and reproduce it in paper.
Now here is the right method to prepare for essay:
First of all paper of essay writing is not TOPIC based but it is DISCOURSE based. Now read any of the past paper and see what is written on top of the paper. You have to engage yourself in a certain discourse. There are four types of discourses
1) Exposition
2) Narration
3) Argumentation
4) Narration
(For reference see: Modern Rhetoric by Cleanth Brooks page 32 )
The proper way to ask is “what are the current discourses from which essay paper is expected” Look at the past papers these are all based on current discourses such a Colonialism/Post colonialism, Globalization, Terrorism, Good Governance, Feminism, Economic issue etc.
Secondly in paper these discourses are in the form of CLAIM or TOPIC
Topic based essays are mainly descriptive. In descriptive essay the examiner assumes that he knows nothing about the TOPIC and you have to describe it with clarity.
CLAIM based essays are mainly argumentative such as
Modernity is an unending project (2017)
Literature is a lonely planet of idealist (2017)
Are modern wars not holy wars (2017)
In argumentative essay you have either to attack or defend the main claim (Most of the students think that you have only to defend the main claim). Secondly in argumentative essay the examiner assumes that you possess a certain knowledge about that topic such as Colonialism or Feminism so you are not required to give definitions. (Most of the students start argumentative essay with defining and describing the Key Words which is a blunder)
Preparation of essay writing stars from the way you read. Most of the CSS student study as “passive receptive readers”. Means they just memories what they read and purpose is to reproduce it in examination. The very basic thing needed to prepare an essay (and other papers too) is to study any text a an “ Active Analytical Reader” Means asking questions about the topic, analyzing, criticizing it and developing one’s own remarks on the certain topic. In short read to conceptualize things. For essay writing one has to follow this process
1) Active analytical reading
2) Comprehension
3) Conceptualization
4) Organization
5) Expression.
There are lots of things to discuss regarding preparation of essay but due to shortage of time I am leaving now. In few days I will discuss in detail:

1) Three Main parts of Discourse: Introduction, Main Body, Conclusion.
2) Active Analytical Reading
3) Types of Discourse (Exposition, Argumentation, Narration, Description and their use in essay)
4) Unity and Coherence
5) Emphasis
6) Style
7) Language and Tone of Essay
8) Conclusion.

For assessment of essay send your essay on my email.
Regards
Sir the way that you enlightened us is commendable .It will really help us and other aspiratns too.
Yes sir ,I strongly agreed with your opinion that many students are misguided .This is why ,our real talent is diminshing unfortunately.
please elaborate sir 2) Memorize that material as a passive receptive reader without critically reading it.
sir power of expression also matters which mostly aspirants fail to produce thier thoughts in english. Thnakyou so muc sir
Regards
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Wednesday, May 03, 2017
trotsky59's Avatar
Senior Member
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2008
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Karachi
Posts: 125
Thanks: 8
Thanked 110 Times in 56 Posts
trotsky59 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky the limit View Post
Sir the way that you enlightened us is commendable .It will really help us and other aspiratns too.
Yes sir ,I strongly agreed with your opinion that many students are misguided .This is why ,our real talent is diminshing unfortunately.
please elaborate sir 2) Memorize that material as a passive receptive reader without critically reading it.
sir power of expression also matters which mostly aspirants fail to produce thier thoughts in english. Thnakyou so muc sir
Regards
Yes i have noticed that the method of number of CSS candidates is faulty. when they read any text they just underline few facts and figure and note down them. they are unable to conceptualize that text. For example their is a heading in news paper " Army killed 15 Terrorists". Their is a certain foregrounding in this heading and a perspective hidden in the text. Actually this headline is not based on proposition of fact. It represents the perspective of Pakistani State. Usually we do not question those perspectives with which we agree but, if the same news was published by a Jehadi organisation it would have been " Enemies of Islam martyred 15 Mujaheddin". In this way a text can be interpretative in number of ways. Essay paper of 2017 was the most easiest paper i have come across but when i read few threads on this CSS forum about the Essay paper of 2017 my heart just melted. Unfortunately CSS aspirants are not taught how to engage in any discourse, they are unable to deconstruct the very basic concepts of Modernity, Literature, Feminism etc.For example you can interpret Modernity in several ways. You can say Technology is modernity, Urbanization is Modernity, Globalization is Modernity, Democracy is Modernity. OR poetry is Literature, Drama is Literature, Holy scriptures are literature, News papers are Literature Examiner does not want from you some sort of "True" answers. He wants you to interpret by your own way. All this is know as EXPOSITION,the basic pillar of discourse. How could you pass CSS essay paper when you don't know what is Exposition and how to apply it. Most of the student start by repeating the main Claim by writing " Yes Modernity is an unending process" Why do you imitate the wording of the claim? Where is your mind. You start you essay with imitation rather than interpretation of the claim. So it is necessary to prepare essay paper by reading as an active analytical reader. I will write in detail on the method of active analytical reading in few days.For further detail you can google Critical Reading.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trotsky59 For This Useful Post:
Here2Learn (Thursday, May 04, 2017), Raheel Mughal (Friday, December 14, 2018), sky the limit (Thursday, May 04, 2017)
  #10  
Old Thursday, May 04, 2017
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 30
Thanks: 1
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Here2Learn is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotsky59 View Post
Yes i have noticed that the method of number of CSS candidates is faulty. when they read any text they just underline few facts and figure and note down them. they are unable to conceptualize that text. For example their is a heading in news paper " Army killed 15 Terrorists". Their is a certain foregrounding in this heading and a perspective hidden in the text. Actually this headline is not based on proposition of fact. It represents the perspective of Pakistani State. Usually we do not question those perspectives with which we agree but, if the same news was published by a Jehadi organisation it would have been " Enemies of Islam martyred 15 Mujaheddin". In this way a text can be interpretative in number of ways. Essay paper of 2017 was the most easiest paper i have come across but when i read few threads on this CSS forum about the Essay paper of 2017 my heart just melted. Unfortunately CSS aspirants are not taught how to engage in any discourse, they are unable to deconstruct the very basic concepts of Modernity, Literature, Feminism etc.For example you can interpret Modernity in several ways. You can say Technology is modernity, Urbanization is Modernity, Globalization is Modernity, Democracy is Modernity. OR poetry is Literature, Drama is Literature, Holy scriptures are literature, News papers are Literature Examiner does not want from you some sort of "True" answers. He wants you to interpret by your own way. All this is know as EXPOSITION,the basic pillar of discourse. How could you pass CSS essay paper when you don't know what is Exposition and how to apply it. Most of the student start by repeating the main Claim by writing " Yes Modernity is an unending process" Why do you imitate the wording of the claim? Where is your mind. You start you essay with imitation rather than interpretation of the claim. So it is necessary to prepare essay paper by reading as an active analytical reader. I will write in detail on the method of active analytical reading in few days.For further detail you can google Critical Reading.
This is a different perspective. Thanks for sharing your observation. Can you possibly have a youtube channel to teach how to write an Essay? That way we'll have much deeper understanding of what you say.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Essay:What it Is? Irfi Essay 8 Thursday, August 30, 2018 03:08 PM
essay --- not a big deal!!!!! Saira Essay 28 Thursday, August 30, 2018 03:08 PM
Essay Writing mnadeem Essay 2 Wednesday, May 25, 2016 02:21 PM
Guide to Essay Writing Shaukat Munir Essay 0 Wednesday, November 28, 2007 04:43 PM


CSS Forum on Facebook Follow CSS Forum on Twitter

Disclaimer: All messages made available as part of this discussion group (including any bulletin boards and chat rooms) and any opinions, advice, statements or other information contained in any messages posted or transmitted by any third party are the responsibility of the author of that message and not of CSSForum.com.pk (unless CSSForum.com.pk is specifically identified as the author of the message). The fact that a particular message is posted on or transmitted using this web site does not mean that CSSForum has endorsed that message in any way or verified the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. We encourage visitors to the forum to report any objectionable message in site feedback. This forum is not monitored 24/7.

Sponsors: ArgusVision   vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.