PAPER - I (Marks 100)
- Atomic structure: Quantum theory, Schrodinger equation, Particle in box, hydrogen atom. Hydrogen moleculcion, hydrogemi mole cule. Theories of hydrogen and metallic bonding.
- Electrochemistry: Ionic equilibria, theory of strong electrolytes; ebye-Huckel theory of activity coefficients, galvanic cells. memberane equilibria and fuel cells. Theories of Acids and Bases, glass electrode. incasuremnent of pH. Electroloysis. overvoltage and corrosion
- Thermodynamics: First law of thermodynamics, internal energy, cnthalphy functions, Thermochemistry, Entropy and second law of Thermodynamics, Free energy and chemical equilibrium
- Chemistry of Following Elements: Oxygen, Carbon, Chlorine, Silicon, Nitrogen. Phosphorus.
- Metallurgy of the Following Elements: Copper, Aluminium, Iron and Silver.
- Inorganic Chemical Industries: Sulphuric Acid, Fixation of Nitrogen, Chemical Fertilizers, Semi-conductivity devices, Cement, Glass and Ceramics.
- Chemistry of Transition Elements: General characteristics of the group based on the electronic configum-amion of the elements, Complex com pounds. Nature of Coordinate Bond, Historical development, Applications of Valence Bond, Molecular Orbital and Crystal Field Theories to explain the structures of the Complex Compounds.
- Pollution: Water, air.
PAPER-lI (Marks - 100)
- Theory of chemical Bonding: Elements of Valence bond and molecular orbital theories (idea of bonding, non-bonding and anti-bonding orbitals) Sigma and Pi bonds. Hybridization. Shape of molecules.
- Chemica! Kinetics: Rate law and its determination Order of reaction. Experimental methods. Temperature Dependence of rate con stants. Study of mechanism of a few selected reactions (1st and 2nd under reaction only).
- Surface Chemistry and Catalysis: Physical adsorption and chemisorption. Surface area determination. Homogeneous and Hetrogeneous Catalysis. Acid-base and Enzyme Catalysis.
- Physical Organic Chemistry: Elements of Organic reaction mechanism Optical and Geometric Isomarism Conformational analysis, Resonance, H Bond and its effects on the properties of Organic Compounds.
- Organic Halogen Compounds: Types and Synthetic application, Grignard Reagents.
- Chemistry of Carbonyl Compounds: Types of Carnobyl nv Comnpounds. Preparation and reactions of Aldehydes and ketones
- Aromatic Chemistry: Structure of Benzene with particular refer ence to Mechanism of Electrophilic Substitution Reactions.
- Organic Nitrogen Compounds: Diazonium Salts amid their synthetic applications, Preparation and reactions of Aromatic
Amino Compounds, Introduction to the Study of Dyes with particular reference to Azodyes.
- Chemistry of Natural Products: Elementary study of Carbohydrates, Oils and Fats, Alkaloids and Vitamins.
- Industrial Organic Chemistry: Organic Polymers, Fermentation processes including preparation of Anti-Biotics, Petro-Chemical Industry.