Sunday, April 14, 2024
12:54 PM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > CSS Compulsory Subjects > Current Affairs

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old Thursday, May 19, 2011
Hamza Salick's Avatar
Senior Member
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2010 - Merit 25Member of the Year: Awarded to those community members who have made invaluable contributions to the Community in the particular year - Issue reason: Elite CSP Medal: Members who previously received (CSP Award  and Member of the Year Award ) OR (CSP award + Gold Medal + Medal of Appreciation) are eligible for this award. - Issue reason:
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lahore,Multan,Durham(UK),Gilgit-Baltistan
Posts: 912
Thanks: 753
Thanked 1,898 Times in 694 Posts
Hamza Salick is a name known to allHamza Salick is a name known to allHamza Salick is a name known to allHamza Salick is a name known to allHamza Salick is a name known to allHamza Salick is a name known to all
Smile CURRENT AFFAIRS;Taming the monster--My humble tips

I know Current Affairs proves to be a very tricky subject for most of CSS candidates..When I started preparing for it,I too,was in a fix..The problem is that You don't know where to start,how to go about it and how to make proper arguments and substantiate answers for exam questions,especially with the barrage of contradicting information u get about a single topic from different newspapers,internet etc.Thanks to Allah,in my case I deciphered the situation early enough and was able to prepare for C.A in a systematic way.I am not saying these are all my ideas.I got majority of them form some of my teachers,who had scored 65-70 odd in this subject..I add my findings,and my insights on the preparation of this subject..I think they should help..

First things First,buy a BIG register or notebook for Current Affairs.Make a list of about 15-20 topics which are the current hot issues and u expect things to be asked about them in the exam..Now bear in mind,that C.A has two kind of topics:
1-Those topics that are of permanent nature,and have been asked in CA since the dawn of CSS (e.g Kashmir Issue,Pakistan's foreign relations,terrorism etc.)
2.Those topics that are really 'current'.i.e,which have arisen recently (e.g Raymond Davis case,OBL fiasco,ISI incompetence etc)

Now put all the topics that u have decided upon in ur register so that u write a topic name,leave atleast 9,10 pages after that,then write the name of another topic,leave another 9,10 pages blank and so on..I called this my scrapbook,and believe me,it was a really precious thing(And it was almost stolen by one of my CSS students)How this is going to help??I will come to that.
So now,ur sources for knowledge of C.A should be
1-DAWN
2-Contemporary Affairs Book series by Imtiaz Shahid
3-Economist/Washington post or/and stuff from the internet
4-An atlas
5-Dudes u seriously need to improve ur general knowledge.I don't know from where u do so,but u gotta do it.Us internet,use books,use anything but u need a stock of general knowledge,especially about geography,politics,history and a little I.R
Now ur 'scrapbook' comes in..Start with a topic..Lets say 'PAK-INDIA RELATIONS'..study relevant material about the history of this issue.Write this material down in ur scrapbook in the form of bullets.Under the main topic make subheadings of different issues like Kashmir,Siachen,Sircreek,Most Favoured nation Debate etc and so on..Study about these issues and write their history as well as the current developments and the future predictions/solutions regarding them.REMEMBER.This is Current Affair paper so ur emphasis should be more on Current scenario and developments.U need a background knowledge so u can connect it and derive logic about the present from the past,but emphasis should be on current affairs.Hope u get me here.Write facts,information,statistics,quotes about every subtopic.Make a mock answer(in bullets) about every subtopic,as u would be giving/ attempting it if it came in the exam.This would help u in arranging the facts and quickly go about writing about it properly if that topic comes in the exams.Also,if there are topics that u think have pros and cons,Positives and negatives,convergence and divergence,prepare points in favour and against them.This would help u in analyzing it critically.
Now,u must be reading DAWN daily.U would come across an article or two about these topics u have chosen every week.Read that article.If u think it is half good,cut it from the newspaper.Highlight the important things in it.Now paste/staple it onto ur scrapbook under the relevant topic head.My scrapbook had about 8,9 articles about major topics.This would help in revision.U can go through the highlighted points quickly during revision.This wouldn't only help u in keeping abreast with the current perspectives,but also keep it fresh in ur mind(depending upon if u revise current affairs 4,5 times)Bar bar ja k akhbaron ka bundle khojney ki zaroorat nahy pre giKeep on updating ur scrapbook.Whatever new information u get from anywhere regarding that topic,write it down in ur scrapbook.Now u understand y I asked u to leave so many pages blank after every topic?
In my view,contemporary Affairs books by Imtiaz Shahid are excellent.Nobody of us has the nerve to go about reading dozens of newspapers and journals.Imtiaz Shahid collects the articles on current affairs from across the newspapers and journals of the world in a single book.So I found that thing very helpful.
Start your preparation thiway and u are going to find that suddenly the monster of C.A seems a lot smaller.
In the next post I am going to shed light on how to attempt a C.A question in the exam.
__________________
I shall either find a way,or make one
'Wa tu izzu man-ta shaa, wa tu zillu man-ta shaa'
Reply With Quote
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Hamza Salick For This Useful Post:
Abid khan Achakzai (Friday, August 16, 2013), An Avaricious Lover (Saturday, June 08, 2013), Asif Yousufzai (Monday, May 30, 2011), blossom (Thursday, May 19, 2011), gameface (Monday, May 30, 2011), jazi (Monday, August 19, 2013), khAdijAA (Friday, August 30, 2013), kinza kazmi (Saturday, August 31, 2013), m.furqan08 (Tuesday, May 24, 2011), maha4799 (Monday, May 30, 2011), Malik Iqbal (Wednesday, September 11, 2013), mjkhan (Thursday, May 19, 2011), mmawaqar (Monday, June 03, 2013), momo rami (Friday, June 28, 2013), mperveiz (Friday, July 19, 2013), pisceankhan (Thursday, August 14, 2014), rozeb70 (Monday, August 19, 2013), saja (Wednesday, August 21, 2013), sara bhittani (Monday, June 03, 2013), Sasha Fierce (Sunday, June 02, 2013), Shikva (Friday, May 20, 2011), Taimur Arbab (Tuesday, July 02, 2013), The arrogant (Thursday, June 13, 2013), Zahid Ujjan (Sunday, June 30, 2013)
  #2  
Old Monday, May 30, 2011
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: ON A BENCH UNDER A BARREN TREE IN LAWRENCE
Posts: 8
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SHASHJ10 is on a distinguished road
Default

Thanks alot,i want to ask u one thing.i have gone through a few articles of imtiaz shahid's book but the problem there is that he goves tooooo many views,perspectives,points that are really very hard to remember.i have a background of english literature and education and am very bad at cramming.so please paste ur any attempted question so that we may know how to attempt a question in exam
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Monday, May 30, 2011
Hamza Salick's Avatar
Senior Member
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2010 - Merit 25Member of the Year: Awarded to those community members who have made invaluable contributions to the Community in the particular year - Issue reason: Elite CSP Medal: Members who previously received (CSP Award  and Member of the Year Award ) OR (CSP award + Gold Medal + Medal of Appreciation) are eligible for this award. - Issue reason:
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lahore,Multan,Durham(UK),Gilgit-Baltistan
Posts: 912
Thanks: 753
Thanked 1,898 Times in 694 Posts
Hamza Salick is a name known to allHamza Salick is a name known to allHamza Salick is a name known to allHamza Salick is a name known to allHamza Salick is a name known to allHamza Salick is a name known to all
Default

I shall not be able to post the full answer.but InshAllah I will post the outline of one of my answers.And you don't have to adhere to all the views.Pick the view You think is right and build on it.You can also keep a balanced approach about those views.
As far as my case was concerned,I already had views about a lot many things that had been carefully made over the years.Sirf CSS k liye nahy bnaye gaye thayI just built on them and got good justifications and arguments plus facts to prove them.Make a view carefully and then stick to it.Do not change it unless u are very sure that it was awry.And keep your mind and views very clear and simple.Do not get confused.People will try and confuse you with their views but you should remain straightforward in ur views and should stick to ur guns.
In the future,look for this advise on my thread named 'TRICKS OF THE TRADE' in the 'Tips and Suggestions section'..I normally post my observations and advise there.You would find a lot more in addition to current affairs there.Might come in handy.
__________________
I shall either find a way,or make one
'Wa tu izzu man-ta shaa, wa tu zillu man-ta shaa'
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hamza Salick For This Useful Post:
khAdijAA (Friday, August 30, 2013), Khadijha Arib (Friday, August 16, 2013), mperveiz (Friday, July 19, 2013), pisceankhan (Thursday, August 14, 2014), SHASHJ10 (Monday, May 30, 2011)
  #4  
Old Sunday, June 02, 2013
Tehman Khan's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mianwali/Pannu Aqil
Posts: 243
Thanks: 170
Thanked 98 Times in 60 Posts
Tehman Khan is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamza Salick View Post
I know Current Affairs proves to be a very tricky subject for most of CSS candidates..When I started preparing for it,I too,was in a fix..The problem is that You don't know where to start,how to go about it and how to make proper arguments and substantiate answers for exam questions,especially with the barrage of contradicting information u get about a single topic from different newspapers,internet etc.Thanks to Allah,in my case I deciphered the situation early enough and was able to prepare for C.A in a systematic way.I am not saying these are all my ideas.I got majority of them form some of my teachers,who had scored 65-70 odd in this subject..I add my findings,and my insights on the preparation of this subject..I think they should help..

First things First,buy a BIG register or notebook for Current Affairs.Make a list of about 15-20 topics which are the current hot issues and u expect things to be asked about them in the exam..Now bear in mind,that C.A has two kind of topics:
1-Those topics that are of permanent nature,and have been asked in CA since the dawn of CSS (e.g Kashmir Issue,Pakistan's foreign relations,terrorism etc.)
2.Those topics that are really 'current'.i.e,which have arisen recently (e.g Raymond Davis case,OBL fiasco,ISI incompetence etc)

Now put all the topics that u have decided upon in ur register so that u write a topic name,leave atleast 9,10 pages after that,then write the name of another topic,leave another 9,10 pages blank and so on..I called this my scrapbook,and believe me,it was a really precious thing(And it was almost stolen by one of my CSS students)How this is going to help??I will come to that.
So now,ur sources for knowledge of C.A should be
1-DAWN
2-Contemporary Affairs Book series by Imtiaz Shahid
3-Economist/Washington post or/and stuff from the internet
4-An atlas
5-Dudes u seriously need to improve ur general knowledge.I don't know from where u do so,but u gotta do it.Us internet,use books,use anything but u need a stock of general knowledge,especially about geography,politics,history and a little I.R
Now ur 'scrapbook' comes in..Start with a topic..Lets say 'PAK-INDIA RELATIONS'..study relevant material about the history of this issue.Write this material down in ur scrapbook in the form of bullets.Under the main topic make subheadings of different issues like Kashmir,Siachen,Sircreek,Most Favoured nation Debate etc and so on..Study about these issues and write their history as well as the current developments and the future predictions/solutions regarding them.REMEMBER.This is Current Affair paper so ur emphasis should be more on Current scenario and developments.U need a background knowledge so u can connect it and derive logic about the present from the past,but emphasis should be on current affairs.Hope u get me here.Write facts,information,statistics,quotes about every subtopic.Make a mock answer(in bullets) about every subtopic,as u would be giving/ attempting it if it came in the exam.This would help u in arranging the facts and quickly go about writing about it properly if that topic comes in the exams.Also,if there are topics that u think have pros and cons,Positives and negatives,convergence and divergence,prepare points in favour and against them.This would help u in analyzing it critically.
Now,u must be reading DAWN daily.U would come across an article or two about these topics u have chosen every week.Read that article.If u think it is half good,cut it from the newspaper.Highlight the important things in it.Now paste/staple it onto ur scrapbook under the relevant topic head.My scrapbook had about 8,9 articles about major topics.This would help in revision.U can go through the highlighted points quickly during revision.This wouldn't only help u in keeping abreast with the current perspectives,but also keep it fresh in ur mind(depending upon if u revise current affairs 4,5 times)Bar bar ja k akhbaron ka bundle khojney ki zaroorat nahy pre giKeep on updating ur scrapbook.Whatever new information u get from anywhere regarding that topic,write it down in ur scrapbook.Now u understand y I asked u to leave so many pages blank after every topic?
In my view,contemporary Affairs books by Imtiaz Shahid are excellent.Nobody of us has the nerve to go about reading dozens of newspapers and journals.Imtiaz Shahid collects the articles on current affairs from across the newspapers and journals of the world in a single book.So I found that thing very helpful.
Start your preparation thiway and u are going to find that suddenly the monster of C.A seems a lot smaller.
In the next post I am going to shed light on how to attempt a C.A question in the exam.
Sir here I would like to add to your outstanding work; The best book for the General Knowledge is The Rise And Fall Of Great Powers by Paul Kennedy
Its 700 pages book, But the best book for CSS, please.
__________________
Its not the time of triumph that matters rather its the time of trial that matters.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Wednesday, June 26, 2013
***CAPTAIN HOPE***
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Moderator: Ribbon awarded to moderators of the forum - Issue reason:
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Islamabad
Posts: 1,018
Thanks: 225
Thanked 758 Times in 476 Posts
Muhammad Ali Chaudhry is a jewel in the roughMuhammad Ali Chaudhry is a jewel in the roughMuhammad Ali Chaudhry is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehman Khan View Post
Sir here I would like to add to your outstanding work; The best book for the General Knowledge is The Rise And Fall Of Great Powers by Paul Kennedy
Its 700 pages book, But the best book for CSS, please.
Does this book cover whole syllabus . How many topics ,can you please ellaborate its outline of topics please .
__________________
''Sufficient for us is Allah , and He is the best Disposer of affairs" Al-Quran
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muhammad Ali Chaudhry For This Useful Post:
QudsiaBano (Thursday, May 25, 2017), Tehman Khan (Thursday, June 27, 2013)
  #6  
Old Thursday, June 27, 2013
Tehman Khan's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mianwali/Pannu Aqil
Posts: 243
Thanks: 170
Thanked 98 Times in 60 Posts
Tehman Khan is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhammad Ali Chaudhry View Post
Does this book cover whole syllabus . How many topics ,can you please ellaborate its outline of topics please .
It does not cover the current affairs rather it makes your background of what happened in the past ,,a nd what so ever is happening nowadays has what background..
it is good for analytical writing
__________________
Its not the time of triumph that matters rather its the time of trial that matters.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Friday, June 28, 2013
***CAPTAIN HOPE***
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Moderator: Ribbon awarded to moderators of the forum - Issue reason:
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Islamabad
Posts: 1,018
Thanks: 225
Thanked 758 Times in 476 Posts
Muhammad Ali Chaudhry is a jewel in the roughMuhammad Ali Chaudhry is a jewel in the roughMuhammad Ali Chaudhry is a jewel in the rough
Default

Avaialible in market ?
__________________
''Sufficient for us is Allah , and He is the best Disposer of affairs" Al-Quran
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Friday, June 28, 2013
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NA # 113
Posts: 68
Thanks: 286
Thanked 30 Times in 26 Posts
eshaaladan is on a distinguished road
Default

Rise and fall by paul kennedy is not available, :l
__________________
The Vision must Be Followed By The Venture, It Is Not Enough To Stare Up The Steps, We Must Step Up The Stairs...!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Saturday, June 29, 2013
Tehman Khan's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mianwali/Pannu Aqil
Posts: 243
Thanks: 170
Thanked 98 Times in 60 Posts
Tehman Khan is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshaaladan View Post
Rise and fall by paul kennedy is not available, :l
well i bought it from dogars lahore urdu bazaar.
__________________
Its not the time of triumph that matters rather its the time of trial that matters.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tehman Khan For This Useful Post:
eshaaladan (Saturday, June 29, 2013)
  #10  
Old Saturday, June 29, 2013
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NA # 113
Posts: 68
Thanks: 286
Thanked 30 Times in 26 Posts
eshaaladan is on a distinguished road
Default

But l couldn't got it. ok l'll try again.
stay blessed...!!!
__________________
The Vision must Be Followed By The Venture, It Is Not Enough To Stare Up The Steps, We Must Step Up The Stairs...!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Overview Of The Economy free thinker Pakistan Affairs 5 Tuesday, February 11, 2014 02:24 PM
basic electronics short questions ravaila Physics 0 Monday, February 22, 2010 05:14 PM
Geography One - Oceans Bhalla Changa Geography 6 Tuesday, November 13, 2007 01:32 PM
Fy2007 mtgondal News & Articles 6 Sunday, June 10, 2007 12:21 PM


CSS Forum on Facebook Follow CSS Forum on Twitter

Disclaimer: All messages made available as part of this discussion group (including any bulletin boards and chat rooms) and any opinions, advice, statements or other information contained in any messages posted or transmitted by any third party are the responsibility of the author of that message and not of CSSForum.com.pk (unless CSSForum.com.pk is specifically identified as the author of the message). The fact that a particular message is posted on or transmitted using this web site does not mean that CSSForum has endorsed that message in any way or verified the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. We encourage visitors to the forum to report any objectionable message in site feedback. This forum is not monitored 24/7.

Sponsors: ArgusVision   vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.