Tuesday, April 25, 2017
02:08 AM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > CSS Compulsory Subjects > English (Precis & Composition) > Comprehension

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old Monday, October 28, 2013
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Lahore
Posts: 46
Thanks: 55
Thanked 30 Times in 17 Posts
Muhammad Ali Qureshi is on a distinguished road
Default Take part in comprehension part.

Take part every body in the comprehension part of (English Precis and composition).
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Monday, October 28, 2013
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Lahore
Posts: 46
Thanks: 55
Thanked 30 Times in 17 Posts
Muhammad Ali Qureshi is on a distinguished road
Post every body take part in solving this comprehension.

Q.3. Read the following passage and answer the questions that follow. Use your own language. (20)

Human beings are afraid of death just as children feel afraid of darkness. The fear of darkness of kids increased by the stories of the heard ghosts and thieves. In the same way, the fear of human being is increased by the stories which they heard about the agony of dying man. If a human being regards death as a kind of punishment for his sins he has committed and if he looks upon death as a means of making an entry into another world, he is certainly taking a religious and sacred view of death. But if a human being looks upon death as a law of nature and then feels afraid of it, his attitude is of cowardice. However, even in religious meditations about death there is sometimes a mixture of folly and superstition. Monks have written books in which they have described the painful experiences which they underwent by inflicting physical tortures upon themselves as a form of self purification. Thus, one may think that the pains of death must be indescribably agonizing. Such books and such thoughts increase a man's fear of death.

Seneca, the Roman Philosopher is of the view that the circumstances and ceremonies of death frighten people more than death itself would do. A dyeing man is heard uttering groans; his body is seen undergoing convulsions; his face appears to be absolutely bloodless and pale; at his death his friends begin to weep and his relations put on mourning clothes; various rituals are performed. All such facts make death appear more horrible than it would be otherwise.



1-What is the difference between human beings' fear of death and children's fear of darkness?
2-What is a religious and sacred view of death?
3-What are the painful experiences described by the Monks in their books?
4-What are the views of Seneca about death?
5-What are the facts that make death appear more horrible than it would be otherwise?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muhammad Ali Qureshi For This Useful Post:
Qurban Ali Qureshi (Tuesday, December 03, 2013)
  #3  
Old Monday, October 28, 2013
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Lahore
Posts: 46
Thanks: 55
Thanked 30 Times in 17 Posts
Muhammad Ali Qureshi is on a distinguished road
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhammad Ali Qureshi View Post
Q.3. Read the following passage and answer the questions that follow. Use your own language. (20)

Human beings are afraid of death just as children feel afraid of darkness. The fear of darkness of kids increased by the stories of the heard ghosts and thieves. In the same way, the fear of human being is increased by the stories which they heard about the agony of dying man. If a human being regards death as a kind of punishment for his sins he has committed and if he looks upon death as a means of making an entry into another world, he is certainly taking a religious and sacred view of death. But if a human being looks upon death as a law of nature and then feels afraid of it, his attitude is of cowardice. However, even in religious meditations about death there is sometimes a mixture of folly and superstition. Monks have written books in which they have described the painful experiences which they underwent by inflicting physical tortures upon themselves as a form of self purification. Thus, one may think that the pains of death must be indescribably agonizing. Such books and such thoughts increase a man's fear of death.

Seneca, the Roman Philosopher is of the view that the circumstances and ceremonies of death frighten people more than death itself would do. A dyeing man is heard uttering groans; his body is seen undergoing convulsions; his face appears to be absolutely bloodless and pale; at his death his friends begin to weep and his relations put on mourning clothes; various rituals are performed. All such facts make death appear more horrible than it would be otherwise.



1-What is the difference between human beings' fear of death and children's fear of darkness?
2-What is a religious and sacred view of death?
3-What are the painful experiences described by the Monks in their books?
4-What are the views of Seneca about death?
5-What are the facts that make death appear more horrible than it would be otherwise?
1- human fear of death because they observe the painful scenes of the dying people while children fear of darkness due to hearing horrible stories.
2- The author explain,religious and sacred view in which a religious man perceives death as penalties of his committed sins and gateway to another world.
3-According to the author the Monks tortures their bodies in order to feel the fear of death, and for their self-purification.
4- Seneca, the Roman Philosopher describes a dying man suffers pale, his body undergoes convulsions, his relatives weep and wear mourning clothes ,and perform religious rituals.
5- According to the writer the painful death scenes , Monks self-purification acts, and death's ceremonies appears more horrible than than it is.

Every body comment and evaluate it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Friday, November 01, 2013
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Lahore
Posts: 46
Thanks: 55
Thanked 30 Times in 17 Posts
Muhammad Ali Qureshi is on a distinguished road
Post

Comprehension 2009
Q.3. Read the following passage and answer the questions that follow. (20)
It is very nature of helicopter that is great versatility is found. To begin with, the helicopter is the fulfillment of tone of man’s earliest and most fantastic dreams. The dream of flying – not just like a bird – but of flying as nothing else flies or has ever flown. To be able to fly straight up and straight down – to fly forward or back or sidewise, or to hover over and spot till the fuel supply is exhausted.
To see how the helicopter can do things that are not possible for the conventional fixed-wing plane, let us first examine how a conventional plane “works”. It works by its shape – by the shape of its wing, which deflects air when the plane is in motion. That is possible because air has density and resistance. It reacts to force. The wing is curved and set at an angle to catch the air and push it down; the air, resisting, pushes against the under surface of the wing, giving it some f its lift. At the same time the curved upper surface of the wing exerts suction, tending to create a lack of air at the top of the wing. The air, again resisting, sucks back, and this give the wing about twice as much lift as the air pressure below the wing. This is what takes place when the wing is pulled forward by propellers or pushed forward by jet blasts. Without the motion the wing has no lift.
Questions:
(i) Where is the great versatility of the helicopter found?
(ii) What is the dream of flying?
(iii) What does the wing of the conventional aircraft do?
(iv) What does the curved upper surface of the wing do?
(v) What gives the wing twice as much lift?
Let solve it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Friday, November 01, 2013
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Lahore
Posts: 46
Thanks: 55
Thanked 30 Times in 17 Posts
Muhammad Ali Qureshi is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhammad Ali Qureshi View Post
Comprehension 2009
Q.3. Read the following passage and answer the questions that follow. (20)
It is very nature of helicopter that is great versatility is found. To begin with, the helicopter is the fulfillment of tone of man’s earliest and most fantastic dreams. The dream of flying – not just like a bird – but of flying as nothing else flies or has ever flown. To be able to fly straight up and straight down – to fly forward or back or sidewise, or to hover over and spot till the fuel supply is exhausted.
To see how the helicopter can do things that are not possible for the conventional fixed-wing plane, let us first examine how a conventional plane “works”. It works by its shape – by the shape of its wing, which deflects air when the plane is in motion. That is possible because air has density and resistance. It reacts to force. The wing is curved and set at an angle to catch the air and push it down; the air, resisting, pushes against the under surface of the wing, giving it some f its lift. At the same time the curved upper surface of the wing exerts suction, tending to create a lack of air at the top of the wing. The air, again resisting, sucks back, and this give the wing about twice as much lift as the air pressure below the wing. This is what takes place when the wing is pulled forward by propellers or pushed forward by jet blasts. Without the motion the wing has no lift.
Questions:
(i) Where is the great versatility of the helicopter found?
(ii) What is the dream of flying?
(iii) What does the wing of the conventional aircraft do?
(iv) What does the curved upper surface of the wing do?
(v) What gives the wing twice as much lift?
Let solve it.
Answers:
1: According to the writer the versatility of Helicopter is in its structure. It has ability to fly straight up and straight down, forward and backward, and sidewise and to remain in air unlike the conventional aircraft.
2- Writer describes dream of flying was the earliest ambitions of flying. it was to fly unlike the other creature fly in the air. It was to fly in all dimensions.
3- The wing of the conventional aircraft changes the direction of the air. It catches the air and pushes it downward.
4- The curved upper wing sucks the air and creates the vacuum of air at its upper side.

5- The suction of air again and again by the curved upper wing and pushing down of this air by the wing creates twice lift.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Saturday, November 02, 2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: RAWALPINDI
Posts: 14
Thanks: 2
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Engrnasirsattar is on a distinguished road
Default Please check and advise me for optimistic changes in the comprehension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhammad Ali Qureshi View Post
Q.3. Read the following passage and answer the questions that follow. Use your own language. (20)

Human beings are afraid of death just as children feel afraid of darkness. The fear of darkness of kids increased by the stories of the heard ghosts and thieves. In the same way, the fear of human being is increased by the stories which they heard about the agony of dying man. If a human being regards death as a kind of punishment for his sins he has committed and if he looks upon death as a means of making an entry into another world, he is certainly taking a religious and sacred view of death. But if a human being looks upon death as a law of nature and then feels afraid of it, his attitude is of cowardice. However, even in religious meditations about death there is sometimes a mixture of folly and superstition. Monks have written books in which they have described the painful experiences which they underwent by inflicting physical tortures upon themselves as a form of self purification. Thus, one may think that the pains of death must be indescribably agonizing. Such books and such thoughts increase a man's fear of death.

Seneca, the Roman Philosopher is of the view that the circumstances and ceremonies of death frighten people more than death itself would do. A dyeing man is heard uttering groans; his body is seen undergoing convulsions; his face appears to be absolutely bloodless and pale; at his death his friends begin to weep and his relations put on mourning clothes; various rituals are performed. All such facts make death appear more horrible than it would be otherwise.



1-What is the difference between human beings' fear of death and children's fear of darkness?
2-What is a religious and sacred view of death?
3-What are the painful experiences described by the Monks in their books?
4-What are the views of Seneca about death?
5-What are the facts that make death appear more horrible than it would be otherwise?
Ans 1: The human beings fear of death has got a resemblance with the children fear of darkness.Their fear increases after listening the dying man stories as the children fear increases after hearing the stories of thieves and ghosts.
Ans 2:The religious and sacred view of death is that when human being considers death as a punishment and an entrance into the another world.

Ans 3:Monks have described the painful experiences which they underwent by inflicting physical tortures upon themselves as a form of self purification.

Ans 4: Seneca thinks that the ceremonies and circumstances associated with the death make death appears more horrible than it would be otherwise.

Ans 5:The facts associated with a dead man such as uttering groans, body undergoing convulsions,face going bloodless and pale, friends weeping and putting mourning clothes make death more horrible than it would be otherwise.
__________________
Hold your nerves when you are at your worst........!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Engrnasirsattar For This Useful Post:
Qurban Ali Qureshi (Sunday, November 03, 2013)
  #7  
Old Saturday, November 02, 2013
exclusively's Avatar
Senior Member
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,881
Thanks: 1,600
Thanked 1,268 Times in 782 Posts
exclusively has a spectacular aura aboutexclusively has a spectacular aura aboutexclusively has a spectacular aura about
Default

What is requirements of perfect comprehension attempting?

Thanks...
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to exclusively For This Useful Post:
Qurban Ali Qureshi (Sunday, November 03, 2013)
  #8  
Old Sunday, November 03, 2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sanghar
Posts: 166
Thanks: 86
Thanked 73 Times in 47 Posts
Qurban Ali Qureshi is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by exclusively View Post
What is requirements of perfect comprehension attempting?

Thanks...
A comprehension exercise consists of a passage , upon which questions are set to examine the student's ability to understands the contents of the given text and to infer information and meanings from it.
Here are few Hints;
1- Read the passage fairly quickly to get the general idea.
2- Read again , a little slowly ,so to know the details.
3-study the questions thoroughly .Turn to the relevant portion of the passages, read them again , then rewrite them in your own words,neatly and precisely.
4- sentences must be precise, neat, and complete. it should be in your own words. Do not write the sentences of the passage.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Qurban Ali Qureshi For This Useful Post:
Heera Bhatti (Friday, March 14, 2014), Taaruf Bhatti (Wednesday, February 26, 2014)
  #9  
Old Sunday, November 03, 2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sanghar
Posts: 166
Thanks: 86
Thanked 73 Times in 47 Posts
Qurban Ali Qureshi is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engrnasirsattar View Post
Ans 1: The human beings fear of death has got a resemblance with the children fear of darkness.Their fear increases after listening the dying man stories as the children fear increases after hearing the stories of thieves and ghosts.(answer Should be precise and relevant to the Question : Why you use this sentence here"The human beings fear of death has got a resemblance with the children fear of darkness" both fear do not resemble as per the writer. Writer said both children and human beings have the fear. and one thing more you wrote "children fear increases" please write the relevant answer: According to me the answer should be: The human beings fear of death because they heard the terrible scenes of dying person while the children fear is due to the hearing horrific stories of ghosts and thieves.)
Ans 2:The religious and sacred view of death is that when human being considers death as a punishment (of their committed bad deeds ) and an entrance into the another world.

Ans 3:Monks have described the painful experiences which they underwent by inflicting physical tortures upon themselves as a form of self purification.(you just copy and pasted the answer :answer should be in you own words and sentences )

Ans 4: Seneca thinks that the ceremonies and circumstances associated with the death make death appears more horrible than it would be otherwise.
(it is not good answer missing many details )
Ans 5:The facts associated with a dead man such as uttering groans, body undergoing convulsions,face going bloodless and pale, friends weeping and putting mourning clothes make death more horrible than it would be otherwise.
Thanks dear i encourage your efforts of attempting question. I have mentioned the mistakes made by you. ok carry on practicing.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Tuesday, December 03, 2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sanghar
Posts: 166
Thanks: 86
Thanked 73 Times in 47 Posts
Qurban Ali Qureshi is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhammad Ali Qureshi View Post
Q.3. Read the following passage and answer the questions that follow. Use your own language. (20)

Human beings are afraid of death just as children feel afraid of darkness. The fear of darkness of kids increased by the stories of the heard ghosts and thieves. In the same way, the fear of human being is increased by the stories which they heard about the agony of dying man. If a human being regards death as a kind of punishment for his sins he has committed and if he looks upon death as a means of making an entry into another world, he is certainly taking a religious and sacred view of death. But if a human being looks upon death as a law of nature and then feels afraid of it, his attitude is of cowardice. However, even in religious meditations about death there is sometimes a mixture of folly and superstition. Monks have written books in which they have described the painful experiences which they underwent by inflicting physical tortures upon themselves as a form of self purification. Thus, one may think that the pains of death must be indescribably agonizing. Such books and such thoughts increase a man's fear of death.

Seneca, the Roman Philosopher is of the view that the circumstances and ceremonies of death frighten people more than death itself would do. A dyeing man is heard uttering groans; his body is seen undergoing convulsions; his face appears to be absolutely bloodless and pale; at his death his friends begin to weep and his relations put on mourning clothes; various rituals are performed. All such facts make death appear more horrible than it would be otherwise.



1-What is the difference between human beings' fear of death and children's fear of darkness?
2-What is a religious and sacred view of death?
3-What are the painful experiences described by the Monks in their books?
4-What are the views of Seneca about death?
5-What are the facts that make death appear more horrible than it would be otherwise?
1- human being's fear of death COMES because of their observe observations of painful frightening scenes of the dying people while children's fear of darkness COMES due to hearing horrible stories.
2- The writer explains,religious and sacred view OF DEATH in which a religious PERSON perceives death as PENALTY of his committed sins and A gateway FOR entrance into another world.
3-according to the writer,Monks torture their bodies in order to feel the fear of death and self-purification.
4- Seneca, the Roman Philosopher IS OF THE VIEW THAT CIRCUMSTANCES and CEREMONIES AGGRAVATE THE PAINS OF DEATH MORE THAN DEATH ITSELF.A dying man suffers pale FACE, his body undergoes convulsions, his relatives weep and wear mourning clothes ,and perform religious rituals.
5- According to the writer the painful death scenes , (ACTS OF) Monks self-purification and death ceremonies appear more HORRIFYING than DEATH itself COULD DO
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All about Pakistan Muhammad Adnan General Knowledge, Quizzes, IQ Tests 79 Monday, March 20, 2017 05:39 PM
Constitution of india jalali9226 History of Pakistan & India 0 Thursday, November 11, 2010 12:40 PM
C++ portability guide sibgakhan Computer Science 5 Friday, January 26, 2007 06:52 PM


CSS Forum on Facebook Follow CSS Forum on Twitter

Disclaimer: All messages made available as part of this discussion group (including any bulletin boards and chat rooms) and any opinions, advice, statements or other information contained in any messages posted or transmitted by any third party are the responsibility of the author of that message and not of CSSForum.com.pk (unless CSSForum.com.pk is specifically identified as the author of the message). The fact that a particular message is posted on or transmitted using this web site does not mean that CSSForum has endorsed that message in any way or verified the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. We encourage visitors to the forum to report any objectionable message in site feedback. This forum is not monitored 24/7.

Sponsors: ArgusVision   vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.