Saturday, November 25, 2017
05:02 AM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > CSS Compulsory Subjects > English (Precis & Composition) > Grammar-Section

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #41  
Old Friday, March 13, 2009
Raz's Avatar
Raz Raz is offline
Senior Member
Qualifier: Awarded to those Members who cleared css written examination - Issue reason: CE 2009 - Roll no. 2638Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Elite CSP Medal: Members who previously received (CSP Award  and Member of the Year Award ) OR (CSP award + Gold Medal + Medal of Appreciation) are eligible for this award. - Issue reason: Member of the Year: Awarded to those community members who have made invaluable contributions to the Community in the particular year - Issue reason: Diligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason:
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: In the hearts of Friends and heads of foes.
Posts: 1,840
Thanks: 2,168
Thanked 3,855 Times in 1,438 Posts
Raz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.atifrana
EXAMINATION 1987
ENGLISH (Précis & Composition)

5. Complete any five of the following sentences supplying the missing word or phrase in
each: 10

b) Her father knew that she ____________________________________ disobey him.

Rgds
@dr.atifrana: I don't have objection if sentence allows you to use word disobeyed. It is very clear from the question that we can't change the form of verb obey (1st form). We are required to fill in the blank with words which best suite the verb obey and structure of the sentence.


We can't convert obey into obeyed. This will be our blunder if we do so.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old Friday, March 13, 2009
dr.atifrana's Avatar
Senior Member
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 433
Thanks: 541
Thanked 501 Times in 234 Posts
dr.atifrana is a jewel in the roughdr.atifrana is a jewel in the roughdr.atifrana is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
b) Her father knew that she ____________________________________ disobey him.
b) Her father knew that she would not disobey him.

Quote:
3. a) Use the following words in at least two senses, either as a verb or as a noun or as an adjective or as both:

Clear, Face, Energy, Value, Build.

b) Use the following idiomatic expressions in illustrative sentences:

Carry out, Taken over, Bring about, Beat out, Bear with.
(a)

The sky is clear.
My answer is quite clear.

You got a beautiful face.
lets talk face to face.
he faced his difficulties gallantly.
you should face the consequences.

Wind energy is a renewable energy source.
wheat is rich in energy.

he should value my opinion.
this necklace has a great value for me.
You should not give him so much value.

Build your thought.
the artisans are building my house wall.

(b)

he carried out his policies in the public interest.

chairman of the senate has taken over the charg of the president as he is mentally ill.

bring about some potent changes in your writing skills.

their opponents has beaten out them.

he bore with the disaster courageously


All members are requested to point out the defficiencies in my last post,so that we move forward.

-----------

Paper 1972

3. a) Distinguish between the meaning of the words in the following pairs, and use them in illustrative sentences:

Consciousness, conscientiousness
ingenious, ingenuous
fantastic, fanatical
honourable, honorary
politician, statesman.

b) Use the following expressions in sentences to bring out their meanings:

To fall back on something, to fall through, on right earnest, vested interests, meaningful dialogue


rgds

Last edited by Princess Royal; Friday, March 13, 2009 at 11:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old Friday, March 13, 2009
Chauhdary12's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 345
Thanks: 196
Thanked 312 Times in 185 Posts
Chauhdary12 will become famous soon enoughChauhdary12 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Island
Raz is right in his use of inverted commas.
See the examples.
He said, "Don't leave your car unlocked as there have been lot of stealing from cars".
"Bring me some tea."
When there is a full quote, the stop goes before the inverted commas, but when only parts of a sentence are in quotes full stop is placed after the inverted comma.
Assalam-u-Alaikum to all,

Please go through the "The world of english language" and point only a single sentence in which full stop is used after inverted comma.
i havn't find even a single sentence in which full stop is used after inverted comma. And i found from a senior teacher that always use inverted comma at the end after the full stop or question mark. May be, i am wrong in this, so your valueable comments required...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz
Please rethink on
b) me is not suitable here
f) told
h) his
Assalam-u-Alaikum

b) He said, "Bring me some tea." is true but its better to write it as
He said, "Shall I bring you some tea." (Note: don't use "?" at the end, if used than it will be a request/order not a offer)

f) I told that I would wait if I had been you.
No we cannot use "wished", as the person is not wishing, but telling or giving his opinion.

h) He said to me, "Do not leave his car unlocked as there were lot of stealing from cars."
Yes both "his' and "your" can be used here.

Now your valuable comment required brother...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.atifrana
4. a) Below are five sentences each containing a common grammatical error. Make the necessary corrections:
i) Where was a very different atmosphere in the town this morning than there was yesterday.
ii) Every one must decide for themselves what to do about it.
iii) I shouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t turn up tomorrow.
iv) Neither Farooq or Akbar are going to the wedding lunch on Saturday.
v) I compared his essay to Mushtaq’s and found them to be almost identical.
Let me try, the solution is as:
i) Where was a very different atmosphere in the town this morning than there was yestermorning?
Here the comparison is between this morning and yesterday's morning. so it is wrong to campare a morning with yesterday but with yesterday's morning or yestermorning. And second thing it is a question so we use "?"

ii) Every one must decide for himself what to do about it.

iii) I shall not be surprised if he does not turn up tomorrow.
doesn’t cannot be used in css papers, we should use does not not doesn’t . (Reference: Exploring the world of english language page number 31)

iv) Neither Farooq nor Akbar is going to the wedding lunch on Saturday.

v) I compared his essay to Mushtaqs' and found these to be almost identical.
Here is the comparison of essays not comparing essay with a person named Mushtaq. we can also write it as Mushtaq's essay or Mushtaqs'
and secondly them cannot be used here but these or found both of these almost identical

Last edited by Princess Royal; Friday, March 13, 2009 at 11:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chauhdary12 For This Useful Post:
taim231 (Friday, September 24, 2010)
  #44  
Old Saturday, March 14, 2009
Zirwaan Khan's Avatar
Aryan
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2010Moderator: Ribbon awarded to moderators of the forum - Issue reason: Diligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason:
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: ISB
Posts: 1,094
Thanks: 363
Thanked 714 Times in 312 Posts
Zirwaan Khan is a glorious beacon of lightZirwaan Khan is a glorious beacon of lightZirwaan Khan is a glorious beacon of lightZirwaan Khan is a glorious beacon of lightZirwaan Khan is a glorious beacon of light
Default

@Chaudry



v) I compared his essay to Mushtaq’s and found them to be almost identical.

v.)I compared his essay with that of Mushtaq's and found it to be almost identical.

or I compared his essay to Mushtaq's and found it almost identical.


Correct me if i am wrong.
__________________
Am in love with the art of madness..
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old Saturday, March 14, 2009
Raz's Avatar
Raz Raz is offline
Senior Member
Qualifier: Awarded to those Members who cleared css written examination - Issue reason: CE 2009 - Roll no. 2638Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Elite CSP Medal: Members who previously received (CSP Award  and Member of the Year Award ) OR (CSP award + Gold Medal + Medal of Appreciation) are eligible for this award. - Issue reason: Member of the Year: Awarded to those community members who have made invaluable contributions to the Community in the particular year - Issue reason: Diligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason:
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: In the hearts of Friends and heads of foes.
Posts: 1,840
Thanks: 2,168
Thanked 3,855 Times in 1,438 Posts
Raz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauhdary12
Assalam-u-Alaikum to all,

b) He said, "Bring me some tea." is true but its better to write it as
He said, "Shall I bring you some tea." (Note: don't use "?" at the end, if used than it will be a request/order not a offer)

i) Where was a very different atmosphere in the town this morning than there was yestermorning?
Here the comparison is between this morning and yesterday's morning. so it is wrong to campare a morning with yesterday but with yesterday's morning or yestermorning. And second thing it is a question so we use "?"
Brother look at the original sentence which is given in the question paper:

b) He offered to bring me some tea.


He is offering tea to me. He is not requesting me to serve him tea. So the chance of using "me" is out of question. If we use "me" then sense will be 100% opposite to that which the examiner has conveyed.

Now think over this: He said, "Bring me some tea." (Here using me is totally wrong). No body/no writer can consider it correct because what we understand from this: He is ordering/requesting me to bring him tea which is totally opposite to the original sentence in which he was asking about my desire/mood by offering/proposing me tea. If I show my willingness to take/have tea he himself will serve me tea.

I do not think it even near to reasonable solution by putting "me".


And for following sentence:

i) Where was a very different atmosphere in the town this morning than there was yestermorning?

I doubt about your comment that it is question. We should not confuse W brothers (Where in this case) with only question situation. W brothers and one H can be used in scenarios other than questions also.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Raz For This Useful Post:
Chauhdary12 (Saturday, March 14, 2009), hira imam rizvi (Saturday, March 14, 2009), mudasr (Tuesday, November 13, 2012)
  #46  
Old Saturday, March 14, 2009
Chauhdary12's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 345
Thanks: 196
Thanked 312 Times in 185 Posts
Chauhdary12 will become famous soon enoughChauhdary12 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauqeer Kurd
@Chaudry
v) I compared his essay to Mushtaq’s and found them to be almost identical.
v.)I compared his essay with that of Mushtaq's and found it to be almost identical.
or I compared his essay to Mushtaq's and found it almost identical.
Correct me if i am wrong.
Assalam-u-Alaikum
You cannot write only Mushtaq's, because there should be something after Mushtaq's. e.g., Mushtaq's essay. But when you put comma after Mushtaqs like Mushtaqs' , than no need to mention essay after Mushtaqs' because only Mushtaqs' is enough.
And them or it cannot be used here, it is used for a single thing but in this sentence we are comparing two essays than you can use these.
Now the sentence goes like this
I compared his essay to Mushtaqs' and found these to be almost identical.
OR
I compared his essay to Mushtaq's essay and found these to be almost identical.
OR
I compared his essay to Mushtaq's essay and found both of these almost identical.

Any comments...
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old Saturday, March 14, 2009
Chauhdary12's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 345
Thanks: 196
Thanked 312 Times in 185 Posts
Chauhdary12 will become famous soon enoughChauhdary12 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz
Brother look at the original sentence which is given in the question paper:
b) He offered to bring me some tea.

He is offering tea to me. He is not requesting me to serve him tea. So the chance of using "me" is out of question. If we use "me" then sense will be 100% opposite to that which the examiner has conveyed.
And for following sentence:
i) Where was a very different atmosphere in the town this morning than there was yestermorning?
I doubt about your comment that it is question. We should not confuse W brothers (Where in this case) with only question situation. W brothers and one H can be used in scenarios other than questions also.
Ok Brother i think He said, "Shall I bring you some tea." is right.

And in sentence
i) Where was a very different atmosphere in the town this morning than there was yestermorning?
In question paper Where is used than it is must to have a "?" at the end, if not than we can replace "where" with "there" and hence no need of "?" and sentence goes like this
i) There was a very different atmosphere in the town this morning than there was yestermorning.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old Saturday, March 14, 2009
dr.atifrana's Avatar
Senior Member
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 433
Thanks: 541
Thanked 501 Times in 234 Posts
dr.atifrana is a jewel in the roughdr.atifrana is a jewel in the roughdr.atifrana is a jewel in the rough
Default

can it not be like this.

He said,"do you like some tea"
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old Saturday, March 14, 2009
Raz's Avatar
Raz Raz is offline
Senior Member
Qualifier: Awarded to those Members who cleared css written examination - Issue reason: CE 2009 - Roll no. 2638Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Elite CSP Medal: Members who previously received (CSP Award  and Member of the Year Award ) OR (CSP award + Gold Medal + Medal of Appreciation) are eligible for this award. - Issue reason: Member of the Year: Awarded to those community members who have made invaluable contributions to the Community in the particular year - Issue reason: Diligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason:
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: In the hearts of Friends and heads of foes.
Posts: 1,840
Thanks: 2,168
Thanked 3,855 Times in 1,438 Posts
Raz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant futureRaz has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.atifrana
can it not be like this.

He said,"do you like some tea"

See Dear Atif: If the solution which you have supplied is correct then there is possibility of one thing i.e. if I like tea he may order his peon/request his relatives etc. to serve me tea. But the question in the exam serves two purposes. 1) My desire to have tea 2) and if I desire to have tea then he himself will bring tea /serve me tea.


So your sentence talks of only one thing which is narrated in number one. I think this solution will be deficient.

We need to solve in a way in which both the purposes are covered.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old Saturday, March 14, 2009
dr.atifrana's Avatar
Senior Member
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 433
Thanks: 541
Thanked 501 Times in 234 Posts
dr.atifrana is a jewel in the roughdr.atifrana is a jewel in the roughdr.atifrana is a jewel in the rough
Default

@Raz

Your explanation seems to me insufficient to support your ideas.
I disagree with you.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
i should not do it., if i were him

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
solved past papers of precis and composition Dolokhov English (Precis & Composition) 1 Thursday, June 26, 2014 11:51 AM
how to write an esaay as clear as mud Essay 8 Friday, July 08, 2011 03:02 AM


CSS Forum on Facebook Follow CSS Forum on Twitter

Disclaimer: All messages made available as part of this discussion group (including any bulletin boards and chat rooms) and any opinions, advice, statements or other information contained in any messages posted or transmitted by any third party are the responsibility of the author of that message and not of CSSForum.com.pk (unless CSSForum.com.pk is specifically identified as the author of the message). The fact that a particular message is posted on or transmitted using this web site does not mean that CSSForum has endorsed that message in any way or verified the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. We encourage visitors to the forum to report any objectionable message in site feedback. This forum is not monitored 24/7.

Sponsors: ArgusVision   vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.