Saturday, November 29, 2014
02:31 PM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > CSS Compulsory Subjects > English (Precis & Composition) > Grammar-Section

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old Tuesday, January 04, 2011
xaara~hussain's Avatar
Senior Member
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Acedemic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Islamabad
Posts: 778
Thanks: 710
Thanked 824 Times in 374 Posts
xaara~hussain is a glorious beacon of lightxaara~hussain is a glorious beacon of lightxaara~hussain is a glorious beacon of lightxaara~hussain is a glorious beacon of lightxaara~hussain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Change in narration (direct/indirect sentences)

Guys, its efficient to practice our direct indirect speech on forum together, instead of doing it alone. we can correct each other.

I will discuss all the cases of direct/indirect speech. If am wrong somewhere, please do correct me.
We shall also practice them extensively to lock our 5 scores in this section cheers!


1. Very basic type of change of narration, where three kinds of changes are made;

a. Removal of inverted commas (" ")
b. Change of Persons (that is I to may be he/she, We to They etc.)
c. Change of tense

2. changing the Reported speech (the one inside the commas) of Direct narration into indirect/or indirect narration into direct form is the major area where "rocket science" applies.

The reported speech has Declarative(can be positive or negative), Interrogative, Imperative, or Exclamatory types of sentence and each type has its own cases and rules.

Declarative sentences:
This type of sentences may be affirmative or negative. It is the easiest of all. The only thing to be bothered about is 'change of tense'. I will post all the rules of 'change of tense' tomorrow. Right now, let's bring out the declarative sentences from past papers and let's solve them out.

I will start with 2010's declarative sentences; notice the change made in tense.
1) On Monday he said, "My son is coming today."

He said on Monday that his son was coming that day. ('today' is always changed to 'that day', if the reported speech is in past tense)

4) 'By God', he said, "I do not know her nickname."

He swore by God that he did not know her nickname.

(One thing is clear here that it is always SWEAR BY GOD, never upon God or other ways around, Hence never be confused about this anymore in Correction of Sentences part)

5) He says that we are to meet him at the station. (this is indirect narration, let's change it to direct)

He says to us, "You have to meet me at the station."

to us (to us is used because 'we' are to meet him )

Change in person: 'him' is changed to 'me', because he is asking us to meet 'him' at the station. yahan pe yeh bat aham hai k zaruri nahi hum isko me main change krain because ho sakta hai koi or person ho jo hamain kisi or se milne ka kah raha hai, is case main 'him' will not be changed.)

6) He said, "I don't know the way. Ask the old man sitting on the gate."

He said that he didn't know the way and asked me to ask the old man sitting on the gate.
'and' is used to separate because the two sentences in the reported speech.'me' is assumed that he was talking to me.

7) My father prayed that I would recover from my illness.

My father said to me, "May you recover."

Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xaara~hussain For This Useful Post:
Farrah Zafar (Tuesday, January 04, 2011), Perhar (Sunday, August 14, 2011), riversoul76 (Monday, February 21, 2011), unsolved_Mystery (Wednesday, January 12, 2011), very special 1 (Tuesday, January 04, 2011)
  #2  
Old Tuesday, January 04, 2011
Farrah Zafar's Avatar
Makhzan-e-Urdu Adab
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Acedemic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: امید نگری
Posts: 2,483
Thanks: 2,332
Thanked 3,792 Times in 1,544 Posts
Farrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud ofFarrah Zafar has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
7) My father prayed that I would recover from my illness
My father said to me, "May you recover."
I think "prayed" suits rather "said to me".Hain Zara what you say?
__________________
Love is my Shield,Truth is my Sword,Brain is my Crown,Smile is my Treasure and I'm a Queen;
Quitters never win and Winners never quit..!!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Tuesday, January 04, 2011
xaara~hussain's Avatar
Senior Member
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Acedemic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Islamabad
Posts: 778
Thanks: 710
Thanked 824 Times in 374 Posts
xaara~hussain is a glorious beacon of lightxaara~hussain is a glorious beacon of lightxaara~hussain is a glorious beacon of lightxaara~hussain is a glorious beacon of lightxaara~hussain is a glorious beacon of light
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah Zafar View Post
I think "prayed" suits rather "said to me".Hain Zara what you say?
suits more yar but aisa hai nahi
'MAY YOU RECOVER' is a prayer on daddy's behalf.
"PRAYED" in indirect is used only to indicate this "MAY YOU RECOVER" Direct ki reporting speech main usually "said" he hota hai!
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xaara~hussain For This Useful Post:
AfzalRaaj (Tuesday, April 05, 2011), Farrah Zafar (Tuesday, January 04, 2011)
  #4  
Old Tuesday, January 04, 2011
Shahid Shakoor's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Islamabad
Posts: 492
Thanks: 113
Thanked 385 Times in 227 Posts
Shahid Shakoor has a spectacular aura aboutShahid Shakoor has a spectacular aura about
Default sister Xaaara

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaara~hussain View Post
Guys, its efficient to practice our direct indirect speech on forum together, instead of doing it alone. we can correct each other.

I will discuss all the cases of direct/indirect speech. If am wrong somewhere, please do correct me.
We shall also practice them extensively to lock our 5 scores in this section cheers!


1. Very basic type of change of narration, where three kinds of changes are made;

a. Removal of inverted commas (" ")
b. Change of Persons (that is I to may be he/she, We to They etc.)
c. Change of tense

2. changing the Reported speech (the one inside the commas) of Direct narration into indirect/or indirect narration into direct form is the major area where "rocket science" applies.

The reported speech has Declarative(can be positive or negative), Interrogative, Imperative, or Exclamatory types of sentence and each type has its own cases and rules.

Declarative sentences:
This type of sentences may be affirmative or negative. It is the easiest of all. The only thing to be bothered about is 'change of tense'. I will post all the rules of 'change of tense' tomorrow. Right now, let's bring out the declarative sentences from past papers and let's solve them out.

I will start with 2010's declarative sentences; notice the change made in tense.
1) On Monday he said, "My son is coming today."

He said on Monday that his son was coming that day. ('today' is always changed to 'that day', if the reported speech is in past tense)

4) 'By God', he said, "I do not know her nickname."

He swore by God that he did not know her nickname.

(One thing is clear here that it is always SWEAR BY GOD, never upon God or other ways around, Hence never be confused about this anymore in Correction of Sentences part)

5) He says that we are to meet him at the station. (this is indirect narration, let's change it to direct)

He says to us, "You have to meet me at the station."

to us (to us is used because 'we' are to meet him )

Change in person: 'him' is changed to 'me', because he is asking us to meet 'him' at the station. yahan pe yeh bat aham hai k zaruri nahi hum isko me main change krain because ho sakta hai koi or person ho jo hamain kisi or se milne ka kah raha hai, is case main 'him' will not be changed.)

6) He said, "I don't know the way. Ask the old man sitting on the gate."

He said that he didn't know the way and asked me to ask the old man sitting on the gate.
'and' is used to separate because the two sentences in the reported speech.'me' is assumed that he was talking to me.

7) My father prayed that I would recover from my illness.

My father said to me, "May you recover."

you can get all correct and incorrect,

and direct and indirect from undermentioned link...it might helpful for you where all seniors of this forum had put much effort

http://www.cssforum.com.pk/css-compu...st-papers.html

regards
__________________
Main ne Allah ko Apny irado ke tootany se pehchana":Hazrat Ali (RA)"
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shahid Shakoor For This Useful Post:
samreenhassan (Saturday, October 08, 2011)
  #5  
Old Tuesday, January 04, 2011
xaara~hussain's Avatar
Senior Member
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Acedemic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Islamabad
Posts: 778
Thanks: 710
Thanked 824 Times in 374 Posts
xaara~hussain is a glorious beacon of lightxaara~hussain is a glorious beacon of lightxaara~hussain is a glorious beacon of lightxaara~hussain is a glorious beacon of lightxaara~hussain is a glorious beacon of light
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahid Shakoor View Post
you can get all correct and incorrect,

and direct and indirect from undermentioned link...it might helpful for you where all seniors of this forum had put much effort

http://www.cssforum.com.pk/css-compu...st-papers.html

regards
We are discussing in detail, not just solving them; in order to be clear about rules and not make mistakes every time!
Thank u anyways fr sharing this link as we can use this link as a resource for solved ones and then discuss them
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xaara~hussain For This Useful Post:
very special 1 (Tuesday, January 04, 2011)
  #6  
Old Tuesday, January 04, 2011
Shahid Shakoor's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Islamabad
Posts: 492
Thanks: 113
Thanked 385 Times in 227 Posts
Shahid Shakoor has a spectacular aura aboutShahid Shakoor has a spectacular aura about
Default sister Xaaara

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaara~hussain View Post
We are discussing in detail, not just solving them; in order to be clear about rules and not make mistakes every time!
Thank u anyways fr sharing this link as we can use this link as a resource for solved ones and then discuss them
rules and regulations are also given there,,you will find these when you will go throughly that thread,,,,

ya you can use that thread as resource ,,,,that was my point....becoz that was very helpful for me in order to clear Direct&indirect and corrections
__________________
Main ne Allah ko Apny irado ke tootany se pehchana":Hazrat Ali (RA)"
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shahid Shakoor For This Useful Post:
xaara~hussain (Tuesday, January 04, 2011)
  #7  
Old Wednesday, January 05, 2011
Eager's Avatar
40th CTP (PAAS)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Merit 364
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Utopia
Posts: 357
Thanks: 1,242
Thanked 347 Times in 147 Posts
Eager is a jewel in the roughEager is a jewel in the roughEager is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaara~hussain View Post

6) He said, "I don't know the way. Ask the old man sitting on the gate."

He said that he didn't know the way and asked me to ask the old man sitting on the gate.

7) My father prayed that I would recover from my illness.

My father said to me, "May you recover."
i think it would be better to write

He said that he didn't know the way and advised me to ask the old man sitting on the gate.

and My father said to me, "May you recover from your illness".
__________________
Whatever is important will remain; whatever is useless will disappear.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Wednesday, January 05, 2011
xaara~hussain's Avatar
Senior Member
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Acedemic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Islamabad
Posts: 778
Thanks: 710
Thanked 824 Times in 374 Posts
xaara~hussain is a glorious beacon of lightxaara~hussain is a glorious beacon of lightxaara~hussain is a glorious beacon of lightxaara~hussain is a glorious beacon of lightxaara~hussain is a glorious beacon of light
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eager View Post
i think it would be better to write

He said that he didn't know the way and advised me to ask the old man sitting on the gate.

and My father said to me, "May you recover from your illness".
sweet eager,

this is not a direct advice, its just letting someone know that i do not know the way. so its better to use "Asked"
jaise urdu main hum kahte hain k maine usko kaha k mujhe raste ka pata nahi or usko kaha k kisi or se puch lain.
aise nahi kahte k maine usko bola k mujhe raste ka pata nahi or usko mashwra dia k kisi or se puch lain. though its not wrong, but not a preferred way of speech!

may you recover is enough, but rest of the part can be added!
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xaara~hussain For This Useful Post:
Asif Azam (Thursday, February 24, 2011), googlechrome (Tuesday, September 10, 2013)
  #9  
Old Wednesday, January 12, 2011
Eager's Avatar
40th CTP (PAAS)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Merit 364
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Utopia
Posts: 357
Thanks: 1,242
Thanked 347 Times in 147 Posts
Eager is a jewel in the roughEager is a jewel in the roughEager is a jewel in the rough
Default

NARRATION 2009

(i) He said to him, “why do you waste your time?”
He asked him why he wasted his time.

(ii) He ordered his servant not to stand there doing nothing.
He said to his servant, " Do not stand here doing nothing."

(iii) He exclaimed with joy that he had won the match.
He said, "Bravo! I have won the match".

(iv) The traveler said, “What a dark night?”

(v) He said, “Let it rain even so hard, I will start today.”
He said that he would start that day even if it rained hard.

(vi) My mother said, “May you live happily and prosper in your life.”
My mother prayed that I might live happily and prosper in my life.

(vii) He said, “How foolish have I been?”
He exclaimed with regret that he had been very foolish.


P.S: Plz solve sentence IV. I think there should have been exclamation mark instead of question mark. confused in this.
__________________
Whatever is important will remain; whatever is useless will disappear.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eager For This Useful Post:
googlechrome (Wednesday, September 11, 2013), mazar (Friday, January 14, 2011)
  #10  
Old Wednesday, January 12, 2011
usman khalid's Avatar
40th CTP (DMG)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Acedemic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Merit 22Elite CSP Medal: Members who previously received (CSP Award  and Member of the Year Award ) OR (CSP award + Gold Medal + Medal of Appreciation) are eligible for this award. - Issue reason: Member of the Year: Awarded to those community members who have made invaluable contributions to the Community in the particular year - Issue reason: 2012
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: DMG/PAS Campus, Lahore
Posts: 1,447
Thanks: 1,138
Thanked 2,149 Times in 1,006 Posts
usman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant futureusman khalid has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eager View Post
NARRATION 2009

(iv) The traveler said, “What a dark night?”

P.S: Plz solve sentence IV. I think there should have been exclamation mark instead of question mark. confused in this.
You are right.. There should have been a exclaimation mark. Question mark here does not make sense...

Considering there is exclaimation mark in the above sentence, the inderect narration is:

The traveller exclaimed with wonder that it was a very dark night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaara~hussain View Post
6) He said, "I don't know the way. Ask the old man sitting on the gate."

He said that he didn't know the way and asked me to ask the old man sitting on the gate.
'and' is used to separate because the two sentences in the reported speech.'me' is assumed that he was talking to me.

7) My father prayed that I would recover from my illness.


My father said to me, "May you recover."
6) He said that he did not know the way and advised me to ask the old man sitting on the gate.

7) MY father said (to me), "May you recover." (Full stop always comes before closing inverted commas)
__________________
Best end of life is not knowledge but action.
Don't limit yourself to what you think people are expecting!

Last edited by Chauhdary12; Tuesday, June 14, 2011 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Merged
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to usman khalid For This Useful Post:
Eager (Thursday, January 13, 2011)
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Direct and Indirect speeches/narrations reman_bari1455 Grammar-Section 4 4 Weeks Ago 10:30 AM
Sentence reman_bari1455 English (Precis & Composition) 1 Tuesday, July 29, 2014 03:21 PM
Solved Idioms (1971 - 2010) Soulreader43 English (Precis & Composition) 4 Tuesday, October 25, 2011 03:31 PM
List of word question appeared in CSS papers since 1971 mhmmdkashif English (Precis & Composition) 0 Saturday, December 05, 2009 05:10 PM
Kyoto protocol (detail) Engr.Aftab General Knowledge, Quizzes, IQ Tests 0 Wednesday, May 07, 2008 05:51 PM


CSS Forum on Facebook Follow CSS Forum on Twitter

Disclaimer: This is not the official website of Federal Public Service Commission Pakistan. This is a non-commercial website helping individuals who intend to join civil service of Pakistan. The material on this website is provided for informational purposes only. We do not claim that the site is an exhaustive compilation of information about Civil Service of Pakistan neither represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any information, content contained on, or linked, downloaded or accessed from any page of this website. These materials are intended, but not promised or guaranteed to be current, complete or up to date. However, honest efforts have been made to provide comprehensive information for the benefit of users. The documents and material displayed or mentioned on this site are not official copies. Please contact FPSC for updated rules and regulations governing CSS examination.

Sponsors: ArgusVision   vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.