Dear members are requested to kindly check my essay point out mistakes and plz give suggestions to enrich it.........regards
THE PROGRESS OF COUNTRY LIES IN THE HANDS OF YOUTH
Hopes Of Youth
Role And Responsibilities Of Youth In Country’s Progress
Youth In Pakistan: Some Statistics
Problems Faced By Youth In Pakistan
• Deteriorating Academic Standards
• Child Labour
• Growing Use Of Narcotics
• Pressure Of A Rigid Family System
• Dismal Role Of Media
Youth are the building blocks of a nation. It is a fact that the more stronger the youth, the more developed the nation is. The role of the youth in the nation-building occupies the central place. The countries which utilize their youth in as right direction are more developed. The energy and brightness of minds of youth act as torch-bearer for a nation. On the contrary, the countries which fail to realize the importance of the youth lag behind in every department of life. This is one of the reasons of the backwardness of Pakistan. Hence the youth lacks proper patronage. Developed countries are totally aware of the worth of their. They consider their youth as an asset. Most important, these countries cater to the needs of their youth and provide them education, employment, recreational activities etc. such healthy and competitive environment prepare the youth to lead the country through thick and thin. If youth is not in the right direction and is unconcerned about the future of the nation, it will become a burden for the nation. Consequently, it will not play any productive role.
The youth hopes for a world free of poverty, unemployment, inequality and exploitation of man by man. They want a world free of discrimination on the grounds of race, colour, language and gender.
The countries where the youth are agile and pay their proper contributions towards their nation are more developed. The entire success of a nation depends on the youth. It is the duty of the government to provide the youth with ample opportunities to play their role in an effective manner. Parents also have a major responsibility to fulfil. They must induce patriotic feelings in their young ones. The youth fraught with patriotism would lead the nation to the front. The youth have following role and responsibilities towards their nation.
• They must get proper and complete education.
• Take part in welfare activities.
• Spread awareness and education among the masses about their rights and responsibilities.
• Help other youths in building confidence and pursuing the field of interest.
• Guide newcomers in every field on right lines.
• Promotes the fair image of the country before the world.
• Serve the country with their skills and talent in various fields.
• To nip in the bud all the evils that are polluting our society.
• To reinvigorate the culture, trend and traditions of the society.
• Help the government in the implementation of policies.
• They can play a vital role in the elimination of terrorism.
• The young people are full of vibrant ideas. Their ideas can show the country a new path towards prosperity.
• Young people have energy to try out things and the patience to learn from mistakes. Giving them opportunities to plan, to decide and to work prepares them to face harsher realities in life.
• Young participation is important because youth are the country’s power. Youth recognize problems and can solve them. Youth are strong force in social movements.
Pakistan has a large youth population. An estimated 103 million or 63% of the population fall under the age of 25 years. Due to endemic poverty, the majority of youth in Pakistan do not have the opportunity to experience a childhood. Male youth literacy rate is estimated to be 53% and female youth literacy rate is even lower at 42%. As far employment is concerned 15% of the youth is unemployed.
Despite constituting a major chunk of our population, our youth are lagging behind in every field. Thy have a major role to play in country’s progress but due to government’s negligence they are facing many new challenges in today’s society. They have been afflicted by an identity crisis, lack of self-confidence and low self-esteem, a sense of hopelessness and confusion and ambiguity concerning about moral issues and future. They have been trapped in a culture marked by guns, violence and drugs. All this has resulted in an unstable economy, a shattered confidence of foreign investors, lawlessness and a break-up of the social fabric. Let’s see what major problems are faced by our youth.
The most impounding problem our youth is facing at present is frustration. This monster is eating up our youth slowly and gradually. The youth in Pakistan don’t have jobs, means of healthy entertainment, health resources and awareness. The frustration as a result of multitude problems is increasing day by day.
Education is the most powerful weapon of the youth. With this weapon they could lead their country towards progress. But unfortunately, quality and skill based education has been a dream for our youth especially for the poor. There is no formal guidance for students in logical selection of a specific course of study. There is no unified and single education system in the country. Our universities and colleges have become degree distributing machines. Education does not mean only degrees but in its true sense it is the future of the youth.
Another major problem being faced by our youth is unemployment. After completing their education, they find no job to utilize their skills to serve their country. This is the result of negligence of government towards utilization of the youth in a proper manner. Deteriorating conditions are also responsible for low investment in the country resulting in less job opportunities. Unemployment is a multi-dimensional and complex issue which starts a vicious circle of associated problems like involvement of youth in politics, bank and household burglaries, social insecurity, lawlessness, use of drugs etc.
Poverty is another major problem of our youth. Due to lack of resources they are unable to get quality education and pursue their field of interest. Poverty is a sort of disease which is weakening our youth. They are unable to fully use their talent and serve their country.
Owing to poverty and unemployment, parents instead of sending their children to schools, prefer child labour for them. They make them do so to support their family and use them as earning hands from the early age. Child labour is a sort of deluge that is draining away our precious talent to be utilized in right place. Child labour pushes them into a bad company and immoral activities such as use of drugs, crime etc.
Our youth in the grim situation finding no other consolation resort to the use of drugs. Growing use of narcotics is becoming a major problem of our youth. They find it the cheapest source to fight their miseries. But they never realize that this habit of theirs waste their priceless capabilities and drags them to the brink of death.
Saddest of all our youth in sheer disappointment are committing suicide. They waste their life without knowing their worth. Use of drugs, poverty, unemployment and failure in life are the major reasons behind this curse.
Furthermore, pressure from parents due to rigid system is also a bolt from blue to our youth. Social taboos hinder our youth to freely decide about their future. Hence, they cannot follow their dreams. This leads them to escape from their responsibilities towards their parents and their country.
Last but not least, the role of media in upbringing our youth has been minimal throughout the history of Pakistan. Most of the youth find our TV programmes non-entertaining and unattractive. Everybody is interested in watching other South Asian and Western channels. As a consequence of cultural invasion, our youth’s role in promoting our country has been dismal.
Despite the multiplicity of problems, it is still a right time for government to take some pragmatic steps. Of the 15 largest countries in the world in terms of population, Pakistan has by far the youngest population. Government should not regard the young population as a burden but an asset. We need to bear in mind that “the destiny of nations is in the hands of youth”. Keeping in view this fact, here are some suggestions to make good use of our youth.
• Competitive teachers must be recruited who could encourage and guide our youth to right lines.
• Politics must be prevented in the educational institutions.
• Campaign be started by the media that it is only education which can make our country more prosperous. We must have 100% literacy.
• It has become a common psyche among the well-educated people that after the completion of the education they would leave their country in the lurch. Government must prevent brain-drain in our country by providing full employment and act as a magnet for bright minds.
• Parents should teach youngsters patience to face the difficulties and be steadfast.
• Youth be given ample opportunities to prove and cash their skill in every field.
• Right men be placed on right places.
• Youth should be clear about their future.
• Youth should be at arm’s length from the bad company.
To conclude, the youth of today can do a marvellous job for the nation. With all the modern means of this computer age, where everything seems to be possible, why can’t the youth override the things done by the people in the past? We always consider the heroes of the past to be the evergreen characters. But today the youth with the proper use of the modern facilities should be evergreen characters for the times to come.