Thursday, April 02, 2020
04:42 AM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > CSS Optional subjects > Group II > Pure Mathematics

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old Monday, September 19, 2016
asadzahid's Avatar
Junior Member
Qualifier: Awarded to those Members who cleared css written examination - Issue reason: CE 2017 - Roll no. 04533
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Islamabad
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
asadzahid is on a distinguished road
Smile Pure Mathematics doable?

Hello seniors.
I'd like to ask if it is possible to take on pure mathematics as I have a good background of math, did my major in Economics with a lot of Maths alongside. I have taken courses of cal 1 & 2, Linear algebra, differential equations, statistics etc. I was told by a friend that CSS PM is very different and I shouldn't opt for it, but I really have a good grip at maths. Please guide me, going for 2017 session!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Monday, September 19, 2016
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 174
Thanks: 54
Thanked 54 Times in 49 Posts
thedude is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asadzahid View Post
Hello seniors.
I'd like to ask if it is possible to take on pure mathematics as I have a good background of math, did my major in Economics with a lot of Maths alongside. I have taken courses of cal 1 & 2, Linear algebra, differential equations, statistics etc. I was told by a friend that CSS PM is very different and I shouldn't opt for it, but I really have a good grip at maths. Please guide me, going for 2017 session!
Keep in mind that you will need to pick one other 100 mark subject from the pure maths group.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Tuesday, September 20, 2016
Yousuf Shah Khagga's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: In Innocent Hearts
Posts: 456
Thanks: 6
Thanked 319 Times in 224 Posts
Yousuf Shah Khagga is on a distinguished road
Default

Dear I done M.Sc in Pure Math.
As according to new syllabus Pure and Applied Math are in one section.
You will choose both or if you choose one then remaining option is Statistics.
Math paper would be Zero or Hero.
Second CSS is not an exam of Knowledge and analysis it is also exam of muscles and strangeness of the body.
Math need more time , it is a practical subjects . But in CSS two paper per day are very tough and tiring time.
It is better to choose those subjects you can revise easily.
In case of math a much time needed and if you have firm grip go through the Math , Insha Allah you will score well.
Another suggestion is , you should read the CE 2016 past papers of mathematics , you can easily judge yourself.
__________________
Coming together is beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yousuf Shah Khagga For This Useful Post:
nutz (Tuesday, May 16, 2017)
  #4  
Old Wednesday, September 21, 2016
asadzahid's Avatar
Junior Member
Qualifier: Awarded to those Members who cleared css written examination - Issue reason: CE 2017 - Roll no. 04533
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Islamabad
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
asadzahid is on a distinguished road
Post

Thank you so much for the prompt reply guys. I think I'm good at maths and have a good grip as I have always preferred numbers over readings, and have been studying a lot of math during the course of my studies. And secondly taking statistics is not an issue for me as I have already taken advance courses, but the problem is, my friends from university and around are saying that the math of CSS is totally different than what I have studied. I have a background of conceptual mathematics from O & A levels and after that the courses I have mentioned, I did those in LUMS. Besides I have seen the curriculum, it looks pretty doable to me, but I'm still not sure whether it is the right step or not!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Wednesday, September 21, 2016
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 174
Thanks: 54
Thanked 54 Times in 49 Posts
thedude is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asadzahid View Post
Thank you so much for the prompt reply guys. I think I'm good at maths and have a good grip as I have always preferred numbers over readings, and have been studying a lot of math during the course of my studies. And secondly taking statistics is not an issue for me as I have already taken advance courses, but the problem is, my friends from university and around are saying that the math of CSS is totally different than what I have studied. I have a background of conceptual mathematics from O & A levels and after that the courses I have mentioned, I did those in LUMS. Besides I have seen the curriculum, it looks pretty doable to me, but I'm still not sure whether it is the right step or not!
It sounds like you have a good though not ideal background (ideal background=MSC mathematics). I would think of finding a tutor.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Wednesday, September 21, 2016
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 174
Thanks: 54
Thanked 54 Times in 49 Posts
thedude is on a distinguished road
Default

People generally find Applied Math easier.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Thursday, September 22, 2016
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: lahore
Posts: 46
Thanks: 104
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
farhana butt is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude View Post
It sounds like you have a good though not ideal background (ideal background=MSC mathematics). I would think of finding a tutor.
yes thedude is right finding tutor is compulsory
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Friday, September 23, 2016
asadzahid's Avatar
Junior Member
Qualifier: Awarded to those Members who cleared css written examination - Issue reason: CE 2017 - Roll no. 04533
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Islamabad
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
asadzahid is on a distinguished road
Default

Thank you for the help, the thing is can anyone of you hook me up with any tutor in isb/pindi. Plus should i really think of opting for Applied instead of Pure?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Friday, September 23, 2016
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 174
Thanks: 54
Thanked 54 Times in 49 Posts
thedude is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asadzahid View Post
Thank you for the help, the thing is can anyone of you hook me up with any tutor in isb/pindi. Plus should i really think of opting for Applied instead of Pure?
Goes down to personal preference, but before when Applied and Pure were of 200 marks each people mostly opted applied.

You may have difficulty finding a tutor since the syllabus material is more advanced than your A level/Fsc math.

I think you should take your time before deciding to opt math. There's only 4-5 months left, you will be studying what was previously a 200 mark subject that is extremely difficult and in which there is absolutely no room for error.

In my view you have to consider the risk that by choosing math you will be spreading yourself too thin
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Saturday, September 24, 2016
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Cheechu ki malian
Posts: 33
Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Atticus Finch is on a distinguished road
Default

It is better not to take the chance.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
latest MCQs on C.A and General knowledge sono punam Current Affairs 2 Friday, November 22, 2019 10:16 PM
Pure Mathematics or Applied Mathematics. Ghayoor Hussain Group II 1 Monday, August 29, 2016 03:53 PM
Pure mathematics for pure minded people farhana butt Pure Mathematics 0 Sunday, August 23, 2015 09:34 PM
Best Books For Physics and Pure Mathematics for cce EngrAbdul SPSC Other Examinations 1 Saturday, March 08, 2014 09:18 PM
Pure Mathematics Paper 2011 Tassawur CSS 2011 Papers 2 Thursday, February 21, 2013 02:00 PM


CSS Forum on Facebook Follow CSS Forum on Twitter

Disclaimer: All messages made available as part of this discussion group (including any bulletin boards and chat rooms) and any opinions, advice, statements or other information contained in any messages posted or transmitted by any third party are the responsibility of the author of that message and not of CSSForum.com.pk (unless CSSForum.com.pk is specifically identified as the author of the message). The fact that a particular message is posted on or transmitted using this web site does not mean that CSSForum has endorsed that message in any way or verified the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. We encourage visitors to the forum to report any objectionable message in site feedback. This forum is not monitored 24/7.

Sponsors: ArgusVision   vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.