Sunday, January 29, 2023
09:39 PM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > CSS Optional subjects > Group VII > Journalism & Mass Communication

Journalism & Mass Communication Notes and Topics on Journalism

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #31  
Old Friday, September 27, 2013
Senior Member
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: islamabad
Posts: 279
Thanks: 96
Thanked 167 Times in 120 Posts
sadafnoorelahi will become famous soon enough
Default

Explain functions of mass communications with relevant examples CE-2012

Mass communication is the study of how individuals and entities relay information through mass media to large segments of the population at the same time.
the basic functions of mass communication are:
1. Informing:
The most important function of mass communication is dissemination of information to the public primary through news media-electronic and print. Information diffused through these channels (media) is about new events, products, changes in policies, ideas, philosophies and so forth. Mass media are particularly effective to spread current information having news values. nowadays, social media has also started playing an effective role in providing news.
There are many channels that provide information specifically about new inventions, and discoveries . certain others are playing an effective role in propagation of religious views such as QTV or madni channel. At the same time, there is a rat race among many tv channels and radio channels to break news first.
2. Persuading:
Persuasion is another function of mass media. Because of its having persuasive potential, both electronic and print media are used for advertising products, services, business, charities, or for political campaign. social media has started to replace the conventional agents of mass media like radio and television in a bid to attract advertisers.
Many product sponsors hire electronic and social media to advertise their products and services to a large audience.by the use of colourful and melodious jungles, electronic media tries to win over more consumers to a product.
Such as the jingles "ladoo k lashkaray jag mug kapray saray” and
“kabhi kabhi dag tu achay hotay hain” gained instant success.

similarly,in magazines, and newspapers, colourful and graphic advertisements of new and improved products are displayed which stimulate the feelings of the audience and persuade them to buy the product.
3. Entertaining:
Entertainment is the most common function of mass communication. When used for entertainment, the mass media publicize such programs as are pleasurable to the consumers or at least they provide the audience with some sort of escape of diversion from anxieties of daily life.
For example, Newspapers for this purpose may include comics, crossword puzzles and the like. Televisions may show situation comedies, drama, variety shows, etc for example a decade ago it was a norm of almost every Pakistani family to watch 8’0 clock drama .nowadays, this trend has been replaced by the morning shows.now women remain glued to tv in the mornings.Radio entertainment primarily consists of music, talk shows, etc.

conclusion:
mas communication is to communicate to a larger audience using elements of mass media.it has many functioons,information,entertainment and persuasion.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old Saturday, September 28, 2013
Qurban Ali Qureshi's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 205
Thanks: 89
Thanked 81 Times in 54 Posts
Qurban Ali Qureshi is on a distinguished road
Post Q.4:Explain functions of Mass Communication with relevant examples.

Q.4: Explain functions of Mass Communication with relevant examples. CE-2012

-Mass communication
-Process of mass communication
-Functions of Mass communication
-Conclusion.

Mass Communication:
It is a form of communication. Communication comes from the Latin word "communis" which means "common". Communication is the expression of ideas, views, or opinions by writing, behaving or acting. Communication includes all those ways by which a mind can affects others. Mass communication is one of the four recognized communication's types. Mass communication involves sending of information to large number of audience through mass media. Mass media may be print, broadcast and online media such as newspapers, magazines; T.V and radio stations and networks; blogs, email, websites, eForums, Podcasts, eBooks,Internet TV,Facebook,Twitter and YouTube.
Technological meaning of mass communication is to send information from mass communicator to the complex audience. It comprises of those techniques and technologies by which specialized group such as broadcaster, film producers,and publishers employe the symbolic content to large heterogeneous ,anonymous, and widely dispersed audience.
Mass communication is impersonal. It does not cover to a specific person.Individuals in mass communication do not know each others.Mass communication deals with collective senders. Credibility does not go to individual communicator, but to the institutions and organizations which send the information. For example the newspaper is not produced by a single person. It is the collective efforts of all individuals who are involve in making it Like editors, reporters, publisher, typesetters,designers,proofreaders, and printers. Mass communication has the Five elements. These are
1-Source
2-Message
3-Medium
4-Designation/receiver
5-Feedback

Functions of mass communication

1- Surveillance
Surveillance function of mass communication involves the flow of information and news outside or inside an environment. Flow of information is vital for every day life. surveillance function of mass communication keeps an eye and act as watchdog on social, political and economic issues,events and crisis. it creates the awareness among the masses of what is happening around them. It monitors various occurrences in the society like murders, killings, suicides, attacks , rapes,sexual harassment and corruptions scandals; political and social injustice; wrong use of powers and authorities by the powered, elite groups and government; business events, currency rise and fall, stock exchange; whether conditions; films and theaters; and fashion ideas etc. Surveillance function of mass communication creates awareness among the masses as in 15 August 2013,Sikander Hayyat: A man accompanied by his wife and two children had driven out into the middle of constitution Avenue in Islamabad with two advanced weapons. This scene was run out till more than five hours. Federal security forces was unable to handle this person. At the end Zamard Khan a brave man ended this scene by his boldness. This is the real picture of the failure of the current government security policy. Audience are able to decide the current government security policy's failures. Surveillance function make the easy and fast flow of information. For example in September 11, 2001 more than 90% American people knew the terrorist attack within two hours as apposed to the old day when news took the months before reaching to public.

2-Correlation Function
Correlation function of the mass communication involves the interpretations and explanations of the news items, events,issues, or scandals for masses. This function provides the guidance and helps in making opinions by audience themselves. This function of mass communication distinguishes to the surveillance in the way that correlation covers the news and information subjectively whereas the surveillance covers objectively. The correlation function of the mass communication provides the editorial articles, columns which are written on a particular events ,issues or policies to provide the guidance and interpretation of news. These contain the depth details and study of the events. They are written in favor or against of the certain policies.
Th Correlation functions of mass communication also provides the T.V shows . In these shows the qualified journalist and ,other leaders and known personalities criticize, interpret the issues, policies and news items.
For example the "AJJ kamran khan ke sath" Geo news show in which all important news are provided by Kamran Khan with explanations; "Kal Tak" express news show provide the debates on the political,governmental and other issues.

3-Cultural Transmission function:
Cultural transmission is the function of the mass communication in which Media spread out the common norms, or values to the masses. It is also called socialization function because it provide the social awareness and growth to the people. After reading, watching, listening and observing, people know how to live? What are the factors of good personality?. In this way people adapt the best norms and values which are practiced in the society. it Also provides the guidance to the people of the wrong practices .For examples the Victims of the accident who were not wearing the seat belt, can guide masses to dangers of not wearing seat belt. It also provides moral upgradation to the masses, for example a thief who is caught in the case of stolen ,and is ashamed due to seen by the people by mean of mass media. Media can also cause the wrong beliefs of something like Media portray Muslims as terrorists which make fear joining this religion. People may adobe wrong practices by this function of mass communication.For example by watching Films and dramas people can adapt wrong misguiding practices of the heroes. Like In Devdas Film Shah Rukh Khan immense drinks after the marriage of her lover(Ashwarya Rai) with other person.

4- Educational Function:
Educational function of mass communication involves Formal and informal education.
Formal education is one which is thought in schools,colleges, universities and other institutions. In this syllabi are covered like Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and ,IT and other science subjects. Mass communication provide the online version of the institutions like Virtual T.V network ,which teaches their student online.
Informal education function of mass communication involves the awareness building process among the masses. Different T.V Channels like National Geo geographic provide the knowledge of different fields. Peace T.V contains the lectures delivered by various Ulemas Specially Famous and known Dr.Zakir Naik. it is providing Islamic knowledge and removing misconceptions about the Islam. Madani channel, Haq T.V and Q.T.V are familiarizing the people with Islamic teachings.

5-Entertainment Function
Entertainment function of mass communication involves the coverage of actors and actresses news, drama and Films. Different channels provide the entertainment to their audience by means of movies ,dramas, songs, and videos etc. The Films and dramas heavily affects the emotions of the audience.These Channels are more famous and seen as compare to the news channels and other channels because they are the sources of refreshment. Media of entertainment are Radio ,T.V,internet and Cell Phones etc.


Conclusion:
Communication is a basic need just as food, shelter and clothing. It is the process of socialization and moralization .It removes the distances and comes people together. To use mass media effectively people must take an active role in their interaction with various media. Mass media houses also need to be reliable and provide accurate information.

Last edited by Qurban Ali Qureshi; Saturday, September 28, 2013 at 02:43 AM. Reason: mistakes in writing
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old Saturday, September 28, 2013
comp Engr's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 531
Thanks: 604
Thanked 267 Times in 198 Posts
comp Engr will become famous soon enough
Default zohaib babar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadafnoorelahi View Post
Explain functions of mass communications with relevant examples

Mass communication is the study of how individuals and entities relay information through mass media to large segments of the population at the same time.
the basic functions of mass communication are:
1. Informing:
The most important function of mass communication is dissemination of information to the public primary through news media-electronic and print. Information diffused through these channels (media) is about new events, products, changes in policies, ideas, philosophies and so forth. Mass media are particularly effective to spread current information having news values. nowadays, social media has also started playing an effective role in providing news.
There are many channels that provide information specifically about new inventions, and discoveries . certain others are playing an effective role in propagation of religious views such as QTV or madni channel. At the same time, there is a rat race among many tv channels and radio channels to break news first.
2. Persuading:
Persuasion is another function of mass media. Because of its having persuasive potential, both electronic and print media are used for advertising products, services, business, charities, or for political campaign. social media has started to replace the conventional agents of mass media like radio and television in a bid to attract advertisers.
Many product sponsors hire electronic and social media to advertise their products and services to a large audience.by the use of colourful and melodious jungles, electronic media tries to win over more consumers to a product.
Such as the jingles "ladoo k lashkaray jag mug kapray saray” and
“kabhi kabhi dag tu achay hotay hain” gained instant success.

similarly,in magazines, and newspapers, colourful and graphic advertisements of new and improved products are displayed which stimulate the feelings of the audience and persuade them to buy the product.
3. Entertaining:
Entertainment is the most common function of mass communication. When used for entertainment, the mass media publicize such programs as are pleasurable to the consumers or at least they provide the audience with some sort of escape of diversion from anxieties of daily life.
For example, Newspapers for this purpose may include comics, crossword puzzles and the like. Televisions may show situation comedies, drama, variety shows, etc for example a decade ago it was a norm of almost every Pakistani family to watch 8’0 clock drama .nowadays, this trend has been replaced by the morning shows.now women remain glued to tv in the mornings.Radio entertainment primarily consists of music, talk shows, etc.

conclusion:
mas communication is to communicate to a larger audience using elements of mass media.it has many functioons,information,entertainment and persuasion.
Good

Conclusion

The mass media is playing a prominent role in Media world.It is the main arm of every functions regarding mass media that it provides us through proper channel.It a kind of material that exposes news in a true manner.It is the main tunnel that provides different kinds of news regarding daily life activities.In mass media every event is news.It has always been a helpful material for every sort of person.Media has spread over every tv channels.It labels as an impessive service across the world.
__________________
God has sent us to do something special,Life is once for all but not to be Repeated by a pendulum.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to comp Engr For This Useful Post:
sadafnoorelahi (Sunday, September 29, 2013)
  #34  
Old Sunday, September 29, 2013
Senior Member
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: islamabad
Posts: 279
Thanks: 96
Thanked 167 Times in 120 Posts
sadafnoorelahi will become famous soon enough
Default

Explain the historical perspective of journalism in subcontinent? CE-2012

Introduction:

the word journalism originated from french “ de jour” which means of day. Journalism is a method of inquiry (or literary style) used in social and cultural representation.

a) Print media

In the subcontinent the print media surfaced because of the foreign rulers. India did not know about printing or mass communication by the middle of 18th century. Since the influence of the English rulers was more in the South India, most early papers also appeared in the southern cities before the print medium came to western and northern parts.
Colonial journalism. The history of media in united India is colored by the colonial experience. William Bolts, an ex- employee of the British East India Company attempted to start the first newspaper in India in 1776. Bolts had to beat a retreat under the disapproving gaze of the Court of Directors of the Company.

Bengal
The Hickey's Bengal Gazette or the Calcutta General Advertiser was started by James Augustus Hickey in 1780 and is regarded as the first regular publication from the Indian soil. The Gazette, a two-sheet newspaper, specialized in writing on the private lives of the Sahibs of the Company.

Calcutta
B. Messink and Peter Reed were pliant publishers of the India Gazette, unlike their infamous predecessor. The colonial establishment started the Calcutta Gazette. It was followed by another private initiative the Bengal Journal. The Oriental Magazine of Calcutta Amusement, a monthly magazine made it four weekly newspapers and one monthly magazine published from Calcutta, now Kolkata.

Madras (Chennai)
The Madras Courier was started in 1785 in the southern stronghold of Madras, which is now called Chennai. Richard Johnson, its founder, was a government printer. Madras got its second newspaper when, in 1791, Hugh Boyd, who was the editor of the Courier quit and founded the Hurkaru.
Tragically for the paper, it ceased publication when Boyd died within a year of its founding. It was only in 1795 that competitors to the Courier emerged with the founding of the Madras Gazette followed by the India Herald. The latter was an "unauthorised" publication, which led to the deportation of its founder Humphreys. The Madras Courier was designated the purveyor of official information in the Presidency.
In 1878, The Hindu was founded, and played a vital role in promoting the cause of Indian independence from the colonial yoke. Its founder, Kasturi Ranga Iyengar, was a lawyer, and his son, K Srinivasan assumed editorship of this pioneering newspaper during for the first half of the 20th century. Today this paper enjoys the highest circulation in South India, and is among the top five nationally.

Bombay

Bombay, now Mumbai, surprisingly was a late starter - The Bombay Herald came into existence in 1789. Significantly, a year later a paper called the Courier started carrying advertisements in Gujarati. The first media merger of sorts: The Bombay Gazette, which was started in 1791, merged with the Bombay Herald the following year. Like the Madras Courier, this new entity was recognized as the publication to carry "official notifications and advertisements".
'A Chronicle of Media and the State', by Jeebesh Bagchi in the Sarai Reader 2001 is a handy timeline on the role of the state in the development of media in India for more than a century. Bagchi divides the timeline into three 'ages'. The Age of Formulation, which starts with the Indian Telegraph Act in 1885 and ends with the Report of the Sub-Committee on Communication, National Planning Committee in 1948.
Urdu Press In 1822 the Persian weekly Jam-e-Jahan Numa first time published in Urdu. Some time it publishes in Urdu, some time in Persian and some time in both the languages. During the earlier days of journalism newspapers were either weeklies or biweeklies, none of them was a daily. On January 14, 1850 Munshi Harsukh Rai started weekly Kohinoor. With a circulation of only 350 it was the largest circulated newspaper of that time. The circulation of other newspapers on that time was only 100 to 200.
Urdu Guide was the first daily newspaper, which was started by Maulvi Kabeeruddin from Kolkata in 1858. In the very same year as a second daily Roznamcha-e-Punjab started from Lahore. As a first Urdu daily of Bihar, Dini Bihar started in 1876 from Arah district. Zameendar, which was the best newspaper of that time, was started in 1903 from Lahore. It was the first newspaper, which used the news from erstwhile news agencies. This newspaper highly supported the freedom struggle. At that time the circulation of Zameendar was 30,000. Before Zameendar, in 1884 Munshi Mehar Baksh started a morning (Naseem-e-Subah) and an evening newspaper (Sham-e-Wisal). Maulvi Saiful Haq started the daily Rahbar-e-Hind from Lahore in 1885. In 1902 Maulvi Sanaullah Khan started the weekly Watan which regularly published for 33 years. Maulana Muhammed Ali Jauhar started Naqueeb-e-Hamdard in 1912. Later it called only Hamdard. In the very same year Maulana Abul Kalam Azad started Al-Hilal. After Zameendar it was the largest circulated newspaper .On March 20, 1919 Mahashai Krishn started Partap. Partap was the first newspaper, which started supplements.
Newspapers and movement for independence Before the freedom following newspapers and magazines were started to support the freedom struggle. Khilafat, Siasat, Ujala, Taj, Roznama-e-Hind, Ajmal, Hilal, Milap, Partap, Tej, Qaumi Awaz, Jung, Anjam, Inqualab, Nawa-e-Waqt, Hindustan, Aftab, Jumhuriat, Iqbal, Asr-e-Jadeed, Azad-e-Hind, Sandesh, Vakeel, Khidmat, Musalman, Azad, Paswan Weer Bharat and Al-Jamiath. Jawaharlal Nehru started Qaumi Awaz from Lucknow in 1945. Later it also started from Patna and Delhi. This time it is publishing only from Delhi and is in very poor condition. After Indias freedom Hafiz Ali Khan Bahadur started weekly Daur-e-Jadeed. Jamat-e-Islami Hind started weekly Dawat. This time it is publishing regularly as Bi-weekly. Dawat has a particular readership and it is very popular among its readers due to its views on current issues. Maulana Abdul Waheed Siddiqui started Nai Duniya,

TV in Pakistan

From the early 60s there had been a talk to start television broadcast in Pakistan. Planning continued and various departments prepared their reports about the feasibility of a complete TV broadcasting station. Main obstacle in setting up a TV station was not the money, but non availability of the technical staff which must run the broadcasting house on sound footings. The efforts continued, however, and bore fruit when on Nov 26, 1964 country’s first TV station was set up in Lahore.

Films in subcontinent

Films come to subcontinent The Lumière Brothers of France exhibited their short films in December 1895 at Grande Cafe, Paris. The following year, they brought the show to India and held its premiere at the Watson Hotel in Bombay on 7 July 1896. It was a package of 6 films viz, Entry of cinematograph, Arrival of the train, The sea bath, A demolition, Leaving the factory and Ladies and Soldiers on wheels. From 18 July 1896, films were released at the Novelty Theatre on a regular basis. Entrance tickets ranged from four anaas to one rupee.
Raja Harishchandra (1913) was the first silent feature film made in subcontinent. It was made by Dadasaheb Phalke. By the 1930s, the industry was producing over 200 films per annum. The first Indian sound film, Ardeshir Irani's Alam Ara (1931), was a super hit. There was clearly a huge market for talkies and musicals; Bollywood and all the regional film industries quickly switched to sound filming.
The 1930s and 1940s were tumultuous times: like the whole world the subcontinent was rocked by the Great Depression, World War II, the Indian independence movement, and the violence of the Partition. There were a number of filmmakers who tackled tough social issues, or used the struggle for independence as a backdrop for their plots. In late 1950s, Bollywood films moved from black-and-white to colour. Lavish romantic musicals and melodramas were the staple fare at the cinema. Successful actors included Dev Anand, Dilip Kumar and Raj Kapoor.

History of radio
year event
1926 The Indian Broadcasting Company. A private company was formed
1927 IBC started a station at Bombay. The beginning of broadcasting in sub-continent
1928 A small transmitting station was set up at Lahore.
1930 Broadcasting under the direct control of Govt. under the title of Indian State Broadcasting service
1934 The Indian Wireless Telegraphy Act 1933 came into force
1935 Peshawar Radio Station was set up by NWFP Government ¬ 250 watts transmitter
Jan 1936 Delhi Radio Station was Opened.
A.S. Bukhari ¬ Station Director.

Jun 1936 Indian State Broadcasting Service was changed into All India Radi
1937 Lahore radio station went on air
1939 Dhaka radio station was established
Nov 1939 Quaid-e-Azam's first radio broadcast from Bombay on Eid-Day
July 1942 Peshawar radio station was formally inaugarated
June 1947 Quaid-e-Azam makes historic address on All India Radio and announces the creation of newly independent state of Pakistan for the Muslims of the Sub-Continent


Conclusion:

Journalism and media are one of those fields which came into existence, progressed with the passage of time and then proved their worth and importance for the subcontinent. Press was introduced into subcontinent under the british colonial rule and it has evolved since on similar lines, electronic media also gradually evolved in this part of the world. The first films were played in subcontinent in 1896.Radio channels were operating even before partition while PTV, the first Pakistani television became operational in 1964.therefore,it may be concluded that there has abeen a slow but steady evolution in journalism since the colonial rule.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old Sunday, September 29, 2013
Senior Member
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: islamabad
Posts: 279
Thanks: 96
Thanked 167 Times in 120 Posts
sadafnoorelahi will become famous soon enough
Default

q. "Todays media has taken centre stage role in the daily life and society". Give your comments on this statement in the light of media system dependence theory CE-2012


media system dependency theory

This theory states that the more dependent an individual is on the media for having his or her needs fulfilled, the more important the media will be to that person. the theory was developed by Sandra Ball-Rokeach and Melvin DeFleur in 1976.

Explanation

The theory is based on uses and gratification concept whereby individuals use a thing and in turn become dependent on it. in this context, it implies the greater dependency on media today. media acts like a focal point in today’s life. people get informed, educated and entertained by media. The more importance individuals attach to media, the more important it becomes.

Examples

If a certain individuals depends on media as the sole source of information, then in case of power outages, he remains totally ignorant as his primary source of information is obstructed. this ignorance will be due to him being heavily dependent on media as the only means to obtain information.
Similarly,during times of stress such as in earthquakes, floods or war, media plays a significant role and people too become largely dependent on it as was observed in the hurricane Katrina or invasion of Iraq.in all such events,people relied on media as the source of information and media exerted greater impact on the society.

Critical analysis

The statement “today media has taken centre stage role in daily life and society” is partially correct according to the media dependence theory. the dependence on media varies from context to context and individual to individual..even in the 21st century, there are many parts of the world, where people are not largely dependent on media as a result for them, media plays a lesser important role. whereas, in most urban and industrialized places, media plays a crucial role in the society and the society remains reliant on it.

Conclusion:
media system dependence theory plays a pivotal role in determining the relationship between individuals and the society.the greater the utility of media,the greater the dependence. Media and individuals enjoy a directly propotional relationship.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old Sunday, September 29, 2013
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 24
Thanks: 67
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
qqurat is on a distinguished road
Default @sadafnoorelahi

sir where can I find these theories? as I am reading ABID TEHMI, unable to find theories of communication in it!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old Sunday, September 29, 2013
Senior Member
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: islamabad
Posts: 279
Thanks: 96
Thanked 167 Times in 120 Posts
sadafnoorelahi will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqurat View Post
sir where can I find these theories? as I am reading ABID TEHMI, unable to find theories of communication in it!
dear i am a girl too, u can get theories of communication from virtual university notes-they are very well made.however media dependency theory is not present in it.you will have it search it on net.

i have a book of dr mehdi hassan "journalism for all"

describe the factors that determine character of internal public in newspaper organization?

i guess the answer is about PR.but i don't know how to go about it.can any one please help me in how to answer this specific question?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sadafnoorelahi For This Useful Post:
qqurat (Monday, September 30, 2013)
  #38  
Old Monday, September 30, 2013
SADIA SHAFIQ's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Heaven
Posts: 1,560
Thanks: 1,509
Thanked 1,417 Times in 749 Posts
SADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadafnoorelahi View Post
q.4 Have newspapers lost their importance after the fast growth of cable television and social media in Pakistan? Comment.
Newspaper readership in Pakistan
A private market research company, MEMRB, estimates that, in 2007, approximately 14.6 million Pakistanis read a newspaper at least once a week. The % indicates those from the estimated 14.6 million reading the newspaper at least once in the past month.press in Pakistan is dominated by jang news.the most popular English daily is dawn news, founded by quaid-e azam mohammad ali Jinnah himself.

year 1997 2005 2006
language
sindhi 44 80 35
punjabi 0 (increased to 18 by 1998) 5
balochi 2 8
pushto 20 34

popularity of newspaper in pakistan
According to the latest edition of the trivia book Top 10 of Everything 2011 by Russell Ash, Pakistan has the 10th highest newspaper circulation in the world!
We may not think of ourselves as newspaper reading people, but seems like newspapers do sell!
the general perception is that newspaper circulation has been pathetic in Pakistan but the numbers quoted in this book and taken from surveys of UNESCO put Pakistan at number 10 in the world in terms of the highest circulation of newspapers
The role of newspapers in a new media world
All Pakistan Newspapers Society (APNS) decided to hold the South Asia Media Summit (SAMS) to celebrate 60 years of existence
The role of social media as a news outlet populated by multiple citizen journalists combined with competition among TV news networks to break the latest story, means that newspapers are no longer a primary news source.Newspaper circulation appears to be declining as a result of increasing competition from TV, radio and news websites on the internet. Reliable circulation figures for newspapers in Pakistan are hard to come by.
statistics of F.B.S
According to the Federal Bureau of Statistics in Islamabad, the average daily sale for all Pakistani daily newspapers fell to 6.1 million in 2008, from a peak of 9.9 million in 2007.
In the context of TV, Hameed Haroon, CEO, the Dawn Media Group pointed out “many people feel that the electronic media’s presentation of news is more exciting so they don’t buy a newspaper,”
CONCLUSION:
ALTHOUGH THERE IS A DECLINE IN THE READERSHIP AND SALE OF NEWSPAPER TODAY,BUT STILL THERE IS SUFFICIENT APPETITE FOR NEWSPAPER IN PAKISTAN
my dear , news papers has not lost their importance with general awareness and increase % of literacy rate . Mostly ads are displayed on each newspaper, and with an increase in magazine journalism as well.Secondly , on one side you are favoring opinion of examiner that News circulation us 1oth highest in the world. On the other hand you are presenting federal bureau stats which counter arguing the above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qurban Ali Qureshi View Post
zohaib babarn i am also a software engineer . what do you say about my approach of solving questions?

Q.8: Press freedom and responsibility go hand in hand in a democratic society. Comment.

outline:
- Press freedom
- press responsibility
- democratic society
- press freedom and responsibility in a democratic society
-conclusion

Press freedom:
Press freedom means freedom of expression i.e. freedom of thinking, writing ,speech and transmission of the information. Freedom of press ensures freedom of thinking and acting without any restrictions and pressures. The word "press " not merely means newspapers but also the broadcasting media like Radio and T.V too.

Press responsibility:
There are two major responsibilities of press
1- To make ensure the flow of true, accurate and factual information for the masses about the social, political and economical issues.
2-To act as the "watchdog" by keeping eyes on the government official and institutions ,and other people in power.

democratic society:
A democratic society is one in which people have the right to elect the their leaders of their choices. These leaders makes the government. These leaders work on the behalf of the people. This democratic society is free from the fears, harassment, and discrimination. In this society the media or press is free and law enforcement agencies are in power and judiciary is effective to make justice. This society give the protections to its people under the law and constitutions.

-Press freedom and responsibility under democratic society:
Freedom of press and responsibility are main ingredients to proper functioning of the democratic process. Democratic society encourages the freedom of press and responsibility and accountability. it gives the protections to the Media or press under laws and constitutions which result in growth and empowerment to the democratic society. Responsibility of the press relies under the shade of the press freedom. in a democratic society press freedom and responsibility go hand and hand as the two hands goes where the body goes. if a democratic society encourages the press freedom then positive effect on the responsibility is created. if a democratic society challenges the press freedom ,it automatically challenging the responsibility of press too. In a democratic society press freedom lightens the corruptions, dishonesty,injustice , bad governance and wrong implemented policies and tactics by the government. it enables whether our social, political and economical system is administered honestly and impartially. Responsibility of press in democratic society on other hand ensures the provision of the true and accurate information flow to the democratic society which help in making informed decisions and difference between wrong and right by the masses. in democratic society freedom of press ensures the provision of the platform to criticize and solutions of the issues. Responsibility acts as "watchdog" in order to make ensure to the masses government official and agencies are acting in proper way or not.

-conclusion:
at the last we should not hesitate to say that the press freedom and responsibility are the bases of the actual plant of democratic society.

more corrections and suggestions are encouraged by me in my solved questions from your sides .
Freedom and responsibility never go hand in hand , especially in democratic society .
1.Why Nehru , Titu were able to formulate new information world order ,
2.why Noam chomsky has said free speech should have limitation
3. Why yellow journalism is prevailed in current trends .
__________________
"Wa tu izzu man-ta shaa, wa tu zillu man-ta shaa"
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SADIA SHAFIQ For This Useful Post:
rayma qaiser (Tuesday, October 01, 2013)
  #39  
Old Monday, September 30, 2013
Senior Member
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: islamabad
Posts: 279
Thanks: 96
Thanked 167 Times in 120 Posts
sadafnoorelahi will become famous soon enough
Default

sadia,may be i didn't understand what actually the examiner wanted to know. i felt it was demanded in the question that i should put forward facts,whether newspapers show a decline or an increase. and the fact is that news circulation has declined overall in the world and that still among the countries, pakistan has a high rate of circulation.but the fact remain the same: there is is a overall decline in newspaper due to the other types of sources of information.

honestly,i don't understand what you are trying to point out? that i should not present both sides of the picture before giving my verdict or that you disagree with my final verdict?

secondly, what do you consider freedom? is it to be without any responsiblity?i feel freedom is when you use your freedom responsibly.so i think the two go together and are an essence of a democratic culture.

may be i am wrong in this regard because this is what i read Everywhere.if you have contrary views.then please attempt this question in your way. so i may understand your point of view.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old Monday, September 30, 2013
SADIA SHAFIQ's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Heaven
Posts: 1,560
Thanks: 1,509
Thanked 1,417 Times in 749 Posts
SADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant futureSADIA SHAFIQ has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadafnoorelahi View Post
sadia,may be i didn't understand what actually the examiner wanted to know. i felt it was demanded in the question that i should put forward facts,whether newspapers show a decline or an increase. and the fact is that news circulation has declined overall in the world and that still among the countries, pakistan has a high rate of circulation.but the fact remain the same: there is is a overall decline in newspaper due to the other types of sources of information.

honestly,i don't understand what you are trying to point out? that i should not present both sides of the picture before giving my verdict or that you disagree with my final verdict?

secondly, what do you consider freedom? is it to be without any responsiblity?i feel freedom is when you use your freedom responsibly.so i think the two go together and are an essence of a democratic culture.

may be i am wrong in this regard because this is what i read Everywhere.if you have contrary views.then please attempt this question in your way. so i may understand your point of view.
My dear ,

Now a days , papz do not demand information just rather analysis with strong opinion or your reflection .All question are not reflective , some are descriptive in journalism , so first one has to see the nature of the question . You conclude with both sides in given answer which shows your lack of aptitude and intellect (examiner will think) . All of us has the same knowledge ,why some get higher or highest marks , it is the way of attempt and understanding of question .


Quote:
Have newspapers lost their importance after the fast growth of cable television and social media in Pakistan? Comment.
Newspaper readership in Pakistan

Draw backs of Social and cable televison

1.promote sensationalism
2.Rumors mongering
3. Abusive languages
4. Partial judgment of the fact
5.Address illiterate faction only
6. Aim to entertain general mass not to literate
7. Play back singing / covering news lead with Indian songs
8. Exaggeration of particular fact to highlight the sentiment of particular sect
or immoderate approach
and many others ..

Merits of News papers

1. Impartial judgment
2.Covered all day to day happening
3. Addresses general problems and offer solution by famous columnists
4. Presents detailed reports of particular story
5. Editorial policy of Newspapers which restrain from sensationalism and restricts its objectivity
6. Addresses not the nation but all the over the globe ; it represent Pakistan at international level

and many more

conclusion

Its importance has been increased because of its objectivity , feedback and impartiality newspapers have gained more currency

I am not an authority , you have asked me and i just conveyed what I have . You may contradict . My intention was pure just to guide you , If you feel discomfort then I would not post an more

stay blessed

Regards !

SADIA SHAFIQ
__________________
"Wa tu izzu man-ta shaa, wa tu zillu man-ta shaa"
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SADIA SHAFIQ For This Useful Post:
rayma qaiser (Tuesday, October 01, 2013)
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CSS Interview Catalogue Amna Interview 7 Tuesday, June 11, 2019 05:09 PM
Let us solve past papers of PMS 2008 of KPK... nafees khattak KPKPMS 3 Monday, November 15, 2010 10:34 PM
Study Material Perhar Journalism & Mass Communication 1 Tuesday, August 24, 2010 09:44 PM
Journalism Past Papers Last Island Journalism & Mass Communication 0 Tuesday, November 03, 2009 05:37 AM


CSS Forum on Facebook Follow CSS Forum on Twitter

Disclaimer: All messages made available as part of this discussion group (including any bulletin boards and chat rooms) and any opinions, advice, statements or other information contained in any messages posted or transmitted by any third party are the responsibility of the author of that message and not of CSSForum.com.pk (unless CSSForum.com.pk is specifically identified as the author of the message). The fact that a particular message is posted on or transmitted using this web site does not mean that CSSForum has endorsed that message in any way or verified the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. We encourage visitors to the forum to report any objectionable message in site feedback. This forum is not monitored 24/7.

Sponsors: ArgusVision   vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.