Sunday, September 24, 2017
10:03 AM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > CSS Past Papers > CSS 2017 Papers

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old Thursday, February 23, 2017
Last Island's Avatar
Royal Queen of Literature
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: AppreciationBest Moderator Award: Awarded for censoring all swearing and keeping posts in order. - Issue reason: Best ModGold Medal: Awarded to those members with  maximum number of  reputation points. - Issue reason: For the year 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011Member of the Year: Awarded to those community members who have made invaluable contributions to the Community in the particular year - Issue reason: 2008Diligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason: More than 5 years of dedicated servicesModerator: Ribbon awarded to moderators of the forum - Issue reason:
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Forest of Fallen Stars
Posts: 7,527
Thanks: 2,385
Thanked 15,638 Times in 4,956 Posts
Last Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardom
Default Governance and Public Policies Paper 2017

FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION - 2017
FOR RECRUITMENT TO POST IN BS - 17
UNDER THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT

GOVERNANCE AND PUBLIC POLICIES


TIME ALLOWED: THREE HOURS
PART - I (MCQs): MAXIMUM 30 MINUTES
PART - I (MCQs): MAXIMUM MARKS = 20
PART - II MAXIMUM MARKS = 80

NOTE:
(i) Part - II is to be attempted on the separate Answer Book.
(ii) Attempt ONLY FOUR questions from PART - II. ALL questions carry EQUAL marks.
(iii) All the parts (if any) of each Question must be attempted at one place instead of at different places.
(iv) Candidate must write Q. No. in the Answer Book in Accordance with Q. No. in the Q. Paper.
(v) No Page / Space be left blank between the answers. All the blank pages of Answer Book must be crossed.
(iv) Extra attempt of any question or any part of the attempted question will not be considered.

PART - II


Q. 2 (A) Nature and character of state of Pakistan has been under discussion since long. Some people voice for its theocratic nature. Others argue it as democratic nature and some say that religion be kept separated from the state functioning. In this backdrop, elaborate ideas of Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah on the following:
(1) Quaid's Vision of an Islamic Society.
(2) State's Constitution and System of Government in Pakistan.
(3) Protection of non-Muslims, their rights and obligations.

(B) What are your views on State and Society of Pakistan in relation with Quaid-e-Azam's ideas on our system of governance?


Q. 3 (A) Economics forms the basis of al human developments. The growing concern at present is increasing poverty in South Asia. There is a class of scholars who feel that 'Top-down Approach' has not worked well in South Asian Countries. They find 'Economic Democracy through Pro-Poor Growth' a solution to poverty. Under this concept of economic development, explain the following:
(1) Definition and concept of 'Economic Democracy through Pro-Poor Growth'.
(2) Implementation modalities of 'Pro-poor Growth' especially in Pakistan.

(B) If you are given the project of developing a strategy on 'Pro-Poor Growth' for Pakistan, what would be your main considerations for a workable plan.


Q. 4 (A) Constitution of Pakistan provides guiding principles for establishing state system and governance rules. In the light of this briefly explain the following:
(1) Name of the Republic and its Territories
(2) Rights of individuals and their constitutional obligations.
(3) Freedom of trade and business.

(B) To what extent, you find our society is aware of the constitutional obligations with respect to taxation and freedom of Speech. Are you satisfied over the present level of societal awareness? Give your comments in either case.


Q. 5 (A) Concept of governance stems from the basic idea of formal orchestration of material and human resource for a prosperous and harmonious society. How do you look at some of its fundamentals as given below:
(1) Accountability; elaborate its concept and kinds.
(2) Ethnonationalism; define it with an example.
(3) Hybrid organization; define its value addition to governance
(4) Action research; how does it contribute to governance?

(B) Keeping in mind socio-economic makeup of our society, what kind of plan would you suggest for substantial and objective improvements in governance?


Q. 6 (A) Islam is first and the foremost in ethical and practical relationship of mankind with the surroundings for benefiting humanity. Elaborate following in this regards:
(1) Status of man as custodian of governance in a state system.
(2) Relationship of state and society
(3) Concept of 'Shura' or 'Constitution'

(B) Where do you find our existing system of governance in Pakistan in congruence and conflict with the Islamic concept? Give your suggestions in case of conflict.


Q. 7 (A) Our bureaucracy is perceived to be the extension of 'Royal Civil Services' (Steel Frame of British Empire). Do you agree with this notion? Give reasons in either case. Also elaborate the following:
(1) Concept of bureaucracy; Max Weber School of Thought
(2) Reforms in bureaucracy of Pakistan; give only brief highlights.
(3) Major/visible contributions of bureaucracy in providing good governance.
(4) Shortfalls / areas of improvement, your personal perspective.

(B) Comment on the restructuring of civil bureaucracy undertaken under devolution of power during Mr. Musharraf's regime.


Q. 8 (A) Write short notes on any Three of the following:
(1) Distinctive features of 'Efficient Governance' and 'Effective Governance'.
(2) Rational Choice Theory of Governance
(3) Indications of good and bad governance.
(4) Public policy making process with special reference to Pakistan
(5) Merits and demerits of 'Local Governments' in Pakistan's perspective.

(B) Public-Private Partnership is considered a mode of fat paced developments. However, it has not been very successful in Pakistan. What measures would you recommend to improve upon the existing status?
__________________
The Me you have always known, the Me that's a stranger still.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Last Island For This Useful Post:
Serah (Friday, February 24, 2017)
  #2  
Old Friday, February 24, 2017
Kiqbalz's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kiqbalz is on a distinguished road
Default

tough and lengthy paper
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Friday, February 24, 2017
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wasteland
Posts: 133
Thanks: 64
Thanked 71 Times in 50 Posts
saniam is on a distinguished road
Default

After attempting governance paper two times in a row, i am sure now this paper was made by town planning examiner! One more thing, subject name should be changed to governance only if they continue to make such pattern. Not a single thing about public policy, though policy question was included but it was about an economic policy. Anyways one could only hope for the best.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Friday, February 24, 2017
Greenboat's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,566
Thanks: 959
Thanked 392 Times in 316 Posts
Greenboat is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saniam View Post
After attempting governance paper two times in a row, i am sure now this paper was made by town planning examiner! One more thing, subject name should be changed to governance only if they continue to make such pattern. Not a single thing about public policy, though policy question was included but it was about an economic policy. Anyways one could only hope for the best.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Saturday, April 08, 2017
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 32
Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
DewDropsInDesert is on a distinguished road
Default

The paper was quite easy as compare to the previous year. Around 15 Mcqs were correct and the subjective portion was a piece of cake (atleast for me) as it was based on self-writing and one's general knowledge about the structure of governance in Pakistan. Expecting 65+ IA.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Thursday, April 13, 2017
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Sindh
Posts: 11
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
aasim aslam is on a distinguished road
Default Book suggestion needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropsInDesert View Post
The paper was quite easy as compare to the previous year. Around 15 Mcqs were correct and the subjective portion was a piece of cake (atleast for me) as it was based on self-writing and one's general knowledge about the structure of governance in Pakistan. Expecting 65+ IA.
Kindly share your preparation strategy and suggest books......
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Thursday, April 13, 2017
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 32
Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
DewDropsInDesert is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasim aslam View Post
Kindly share your preparation strategy and suggest books......
I didn't consult any books except G&PP by Advance Publishers; however, I made my own notes from the internet. I would recommend you to read articles and opinions related to governance at Pakistan level. These will help you to develop your argument and analysis about governance in Pakistan. Moreover, it is mandatory for you to memorize the points related to governance in the constitution of Pakistan. They would help you to understand the subject in a specific manner related to your own country.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Saturday, April 15, 2017
quantumX's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Lahore
Posts: 285
Thanks: 134
Thanked 165 Times in 122 Posts
quantumX is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropsInDesert View Post
I didn't consult any books except G&PP by Advance Publishers; however, I made my own notes from the internet. I would recommend you to read articles and opinions related to governance at Pakistan level. These will help you to develop your argument and analysis about governance in Pakistan. Moreover, it is mandatory for you to memorize the points related to governance in the constitution of Pakistan. They would help you to understand the subject in a specific manner related to your own country.
What is the name and author of the book you are referring to?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Saturday, April 15, 2017
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Sindh
Posts: 11
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
aasim aslam is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropsInDesert View Post
I didn't consult any books except G&PP by Advance Publishers; however, I made my own notes from the internet. I would recommend you to read articles and opinions related to governance at Pakistan level. These will help you to develop your argument and analysis about governance in Pakistan. Moreover, it is mandatory for you to memorize the points related to governance in the constitution of Pakistan. They would help you to understand the subject in a specific manner related to your own country.
Dawn's opinion page will be enough for that? And, is G&PP easy to understand for one who has not studied it previously?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Saturday, April 15, 2017
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 32
Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
DewDropsInDesert is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aasim aslam View Post
Dawn's opinion page will be enough for that? And, is G&PP easy to understand for one who has not studied it previously?
You should also consult the related journals as opinions only deliver the solutions and will not tell you the ABC of the related topic. G&PP is easy to understand if you have interest in politics and policy making process. The one with the political science background can quickly and easily understand the subject.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DewDropsInDesert For This Useful Post:
aasim aslam (Monday, April 17, 2017)
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
development of pakistan press since 1947 Janeeta Journalism & Mass Communication 14 Wednesday, November 11, 2015 11:03 AM
Essays - Officer Academy LHR uzma khan youzaf zai Essays 24 Sunday, October 18, 2015 12:59 AM
Invite for the quick combine and to the point studies for css2014 in a short time! bushra Afrin CSS 2014 Exam 5 Friday, November 07, 2014 01:14 AM
The constitution of the islamic republic of pakistan, 1973[1] IMTIAZ AHMAD KHAN Constitutional Law 0 Thursday, February 14, 2013 04:40 PM
National Education Policy 2009 Raja Bahar Pakistan Affairs 0 Sunday, June 10, 2012 06:32 PM


CSS Forum on Facebook Follow CSS Forum on Twitter

Disclaimer: All messages made available as part of this discussion group (including any bulletin boards and chat rooms) and any opinions, advice, statements or other information contained in any messages posted or transmitted by any third party are the responsibility of the author of that message and not of CSSForum.com.pk (unless CSSForum.com.pk is specifically identified as the author of the message). The fact that a particular message is posted on or transmitted using this web site does not mean that CSSForum has endorsed that message in any way or verified the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. We encourage visitors to the forum to report any objectionable message in site feedback. This forum is not monitored 24/7.

Sponsors: ArgusVision   vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.