FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION
COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION FOR RECRUITMENT TO POSTS
IN BPS – 17 UNDER THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, 1999.
NOTE: Attempt FIVE questions in all. Including question No. 8 which is compulsory. All questions carry equal marks.
TIME ALLOWED: THREE HOURS MAXIMUM MARKS:100
1. Good Governance is not a luxury it is a vital necessary for development. Explain this statement in the light of the performance of government in Pakistan in the recent post.
2. Does the Civil Service of Pakistan have a career planning system? How does this system develop and guide the career path of the civil service personnel?
3. What is meant by reinventing government? How can such an exercise solve the administrative problems of Pakistan?
4. Explain the process of planning in Pakistan at the provincial and the federal levels. What role does the planning commission of Pakistan play in this process?
5. What is democracy? For a post colonial state like Pakistan what is more important, adherence to the form of democracy or striving to acquire the substance of democracy. Explain your point of view.
6. Where constitutional powers are limited and their exercise subject to judicial review,the activities of the legislature, and hence the limits of executive action, are subject to determination in the law courts. Does this statement effectively explain the process of judicial review of legislative and executive action in Pakistan? Explain.
7. Write short notes on the following:
(a) Programme Performance Budgeting
(d) A. H. Mashlow’s Theory of Human Motivation
10. Write only the correct answer in the Answer Book. Do not reproduce the questions.
(1) Ralph Braibanti is the author of which boo:
(a) South East Asia Political System
(b) The Political System of Pakistan
(c) Pakistan a Political Study
(d) Research on the Bureaucracy of Pakistan
(2) “Pakistan the Enigma f Political Development” was written by:
(a) Lawrence Siring
(b) Hamid Yousaf
(c) Ralph Braibanti
(d) Rizvi S. RIzwan Ali
(3) If you obey a request of your boss, this is:
(a) Informal leadership
(b) Contingency leadership
(c) Formal leadership
(d) Visionary leadership
(4) Charismatic leaders have a:
(a) High need for power
(b) High need to be loved
(c) High need for security
(d) None of these
(5) Listed here are four basic steps in systematic decision making. Three are correct steps which one is not:
(a) Evaluating results
(b) Choosing a preferred course of action
(c) Recognizing and defining the problem
(d) Consulting others involved in the decision
(6) The process of translating an idea or thought into meaningful symbols is called:
(7) Job enrichment means:
(a) Vertical loading of job tasks
(b) Horizontal locality of job tasks
(c) High degree of task specialization
(d) None of these
(8) The hierarchy of needs theory was developed by:
(d) Fredrich Herzberg
(9) All but one are some of the assumption of theory Y. which one is not?
(a) The expenditure of physical and mental work is as natural as play or rest.
(b) Commitment to objectives is a function of the rewards associated with their achievement.
(c) The average human being learns, under poor conditions, not only to accept but seek responsibility.
(d) The average human being prefers to be directed, wishes to avoid responsibility, has relatively little ambition, wants security above all.
(10) Which of the following statements best describes planned change?
(a) It occurs at random without a change agents direction
(b) It is intense and all encompassing
(c) It occurs as a result of specific efforts on its behalf by a change agent
(d) It is the difference between the actual and desired state of affairs.
(11) The traditional view in theory X by Douglas Mc Greger is that the:
(a) The average human being has an inherent dislike of work and will avoid it if he can
(b) The average worker will leave early
(c) The average individual will be happy
(d) The average manager will be kind hearted
(12) Which scholar of Public Administration maintains that, “it is impossible for the behavior of a single, isolated individual to reach any high degree of rationality in making administrative decision”:
(a) Luccian W. Pye
(b) Earnest Barlear
(c) Herbert A. Simon
(d) Hamid Yousaf
(13) When action is needed quickly in a crisis situation which organization design is the most appropriate?
(b) Free form
(14) The potential to exert power through the legitimacy of a managerial position is:
(d) Referent power
(15) Providing information to subordinates is an example of what communication role?
(a) Decision implements
(b) Strategy maker
(16) Division of labour means to:
(a) Divide work into a greater number of parts
(b) Divide and rule the labour
(c) Divide the benefits of production between labour
(d) Divide the assets of he company
(17) Scientific Management is associated with the work of:
(b) Mary Parker Follet
(c) Douglas M. McGregor
(d) Leonard D. White
(18) Which of the following will not be considered a work organization:
(a) A Hospital
(b) A School
(c) A Service Industry
(d) A Fraternity
(19) The degree to which individuals feel positively or negatively about their job is:
(a) Job commitment
(b) Job involvement
(c) Job Satisfaction
(20) In a bureaucracy authority is based on all but one of the following. Which are:
(b) Legitimate power
(d) Division of labour