Friday, March 29, 2024
08:01 PM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > General > Discussion

Discussion Discuss current affairs and issues helpful in CSS only.

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Saturday, September 22, 2018

SikanderAbbasi is on a distinguished road
Default Dam and its environmental impact

With the ongoing debate on building dams from all sides of the society, I have a feeling that dam construction will cause adverse impacts more than it will save water. For instance, dam will divert the natural flow of rivers downstream and can cause sedimentation problems, especially for inhabitants living around it. I need opinions of environmental experts or students who can disucss adverse effects of dams.
Old Sunday, September 23, 2018

No one seems to be interested in discussions, despite a large number of capable people here, disappointed
imran25dec (Sunday, September 23, 2018)

VVasIM is on a distinguished road

Creating dams is a good cause, but maintaining it is the challenge. Take, for example, this water which flows from the mountain comes with natural sand which is useful to control the sea which eats the land of Sindh. If dams are built, it should be well maintained and the sand which sits at the bottom of their soil should be transferred to rivers to fill the gap.
Sindh has the objection over many dams, just create thousands of dams but for Sindh launch desalination plant.
This solution is simple, Sindh has Sea so it should be provided with its fair right to filter the water. Take the example of Isreal, so why not Sindh can be self-sufficient with this sea water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVasIM View Post
Creating dams is a good cause, but maintaining it is the challenge. Take, for example, this water which flows from the mountain comes with natural sand which is useful to control the sea which eats the land of Sindh. If dams are built, it should be well maintained and the sand which sits at the bottom of their soil should be transferred to rivers to fill the gap.
Sindh has the objection over many dams, just create thousands of dams but for Sindh launch desalination plant.
This solution is simple, Sindh has Sea so it should be provided with its fair right to filter the water. Take the example of Isreal, so why not Sindh can be self-sufficient with this sea water.
It is acknowledged that Sindh has been deprived of its full water rights, i.e. Kotri, which should have atleast 10MAF per year is getting less than 7MAF from Indus river. I'm also concerned with the issue that how Karachi, hyderabad, and other major cities will be benefitted from this dam. Making a single dam might not suffice the problem of other provinces and they should build their own dams to be equalized in terms of water capacity.
Old Monday, September 24, 2018

RAO RAMEEZ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVasIM View Post
Please elaborate it more. I am unable to grasp it.

Sent from my A33f using Tapatalk