Friday, March 29, 2024
01:55 PM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > General > Discussion

Discussion Discuss current affairs and issues helpful in CSS only.

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Monday, August 30, 2021

Einstein plus Newton is on a distinguished road
Default War on Terrorism Is Contributing Towards Growing.....Correct My Mistakes Please (04)

INTRODUCTION

“Since the end of the cold war, human rights have become the dominant vocabulary in foreign affairs. The question after September 11 is whether the era of human rights has come and gone.”
Michael Ignatieff, New York Times, 5 February 2002

Then and there (Immediately), in the wake of the event of 9/11 the global environment evolved entirely. Western countries leading by the US adopted a realistic approach for states security. Bush’s administration launched the so-called “war on terror” that pushed aside human rights laws. Human rights organizations faced an uphill battle as they were declared “defenders of terrorists at worst”. “Your role collapsed with the collapse of twin towers in New York” this blunt statement by an official of the US government captured the challenge of human rights organizations. From then on (From that time), breaches in international law and human rights erosion is an ongoing occurrence that needs serious concern. This article is inclined to present disregard of the USA and other states for Human Rights Laws. The analysis sheds light on the violation of Human Rights and how states have ignored International Law in the war on terror.

WHAT IS MEANT BY “WAR ON TERROR”?

Until now the international community has flunked to define terrorism. On September 28, 2001, United Nations Security Council (UNSC) passed Resolution 1373 which bounds all member states to declare terrorism a serious crime. Under the Resolution, states were required to alter their national laws in parallel ways to combat terrorism. For the first time, UNSC directed states to bring changes in domestic laws. Yet Council failed to frame a definition of terrorism. Many states adopt ad hoc approaches to fight against terror.

Nevertheless, a wide consensus is observed worldwide. Terrorists spread terror (often resort to killing or serious bodily injury) to force international organisations or governments to bow to their demands. They commit violence and threats against administrations or international organisations to compel or abstain from what they aspire.

Terrorism is a ubiquitous heinous act. Its perpetrator is not confined to any territory, state, religion or culture. Although the term every so often is linked with Islam this prevailing pattern is flawed and inappropriate. According to Human Rights Watch (2002), some of the defendants of the act are also French, British and US citizens.

The “war on terror” began following the collapse of the twin towers in New York on September 11, 2001. Bush’ administration after the event formally initiated moulding its policies to deal with this new menace. Its primary targets were Afghanistan and Iraq but soon grabbed the momentum and disseminated across borders. Still, this war is in practice around the world in diverse forms affecting every walk of life.

UNDERSTANDING “HUMAN RIGHTS”

Consequent to World War 11, United Nations adopted the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) in 1948. This document is a concise and precise instrument for framing rights of the humans. The text is comprised of thirty articles each one encompassing aspects of human rights. Human Rights are in fact the inherent rights entitled to each and every member of the human family just because they are humans. According to UDHR, all human beings are born free and are equal in dignity and rights. There is no place for discrimination in human families on the basis of nationality, race, religion, language, culture, gender and colour. Everyone has the right to liberty, politics, speech and opinion.

Universal Declaration of Human Rights boasts certain important characteristics. First, these rights are universal and inalienable, universality means all rights be promoted and implemented without prejudice and discrimination to all people. While inalienable- unerasable or no one can take away these rights (except in special cases). Second, they are based on equality and non-discrimination. “All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights” is the first article of UDHR. There is no difference in members of the human family on the basis of race, sex, nationality or ethnicity, property, or colour. The third principle of human rights is, they are all interdependent, indivisible and interrelated. All rights are observed collectively, for some reason no discrimination be made in implementation. The advancement of one promotes the other and vice versa.

For convenience, all the rights have been divided into civil rights, political rights economic rights, social rights and cultural rights. There might be other classifications too but these five categories were laid down by United Nations in two legal instruments International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights
(adopted in 1966) and International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (adopted in 1966)............................................. .................................................. ...............................!!!
Old Wednesday, September 01, 2021

Einstein plus Newton is on a distinguished road

I got no replies.
Those who want to study with me kindly reach me via my email.