Friday, April 26, 2024
04:39 AM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > General > Discussion

Discussion Discuss current affairs and issues helpful in CSS only.

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Friday, January 29, 2010
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Thanked 1,478 Times in 681 Posts
Zoyee has much to be proud ofZoyee has much to be proud ofZoyee has much to be proud ofZoyee has much to be proud ofZoyee has much to be proud ofZoyee has much to be proud ofZoyee has much to be proud ofZoyee has much to be proud ofZoyee has much to be proud of

@ All

When you people talk about Sharah'i Haqq Mahr then see currency conversion also how much it is in recent scenario

Regards,
Zoyee,
38th CTP (CEG)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2009 - Merit 50

S_Ranjha will become famous soon enough

@ Last island n all others

Thanx 4 sharing the technical info regarding the upper limit of dower. I too read a lot over tht nd found lot of different versions by eminent scholars but as i couldnt found any agreement so i still consider it open. BTW I doubt tht conversion in spite of it being verified by doctors of Law(Im nt one but still has the right to disagree, for me its nt tht plain nd involves much more). But the question z nt tht. I never opposed 10 millionz fixed in the marriage o my czn on the basis of Shariah tht it crosses any upper limit coz i never found any upper limit.

The question as highlighted time n again by originator of thread z regarding the effects of present practices of demanding high dower. Has the practice serve any good or just created problems. Here my stance is tht no it has nt serve produce any goods. The aim of dower as interpreted by pure Islamic law is the compensation to wife fr cohabitation rights tht way it becomes obligatory only after marriage has been consummated(few exceptionz r dere). The other side of it tht we usually refer to is the sense of security to the women about the durability of the relation nd compensation 2 women in case of unilateral dissolution of marriage(Nd i wonder it it z dere in pure Islamic law coz if it was the sole purpose then dere shd be no concept of promt dower).

Now even if accepted tht it serves as a tool providing women some sort of security, i maintain tht making it unrealistically high nd beyond apparent means of man does not serve any good. Im not a good practicing muslim but as far as i,ve understood Islam, 2 me Islam other then social evils mainly puts checks on a man'z conscience nd no physically or financial checks. Nd the biggest protection tht Islam provides is when it says tht "Divorce is the worse permissible thing in the eyes of Allah" nd again it s enforced on conscience of a man.
So to cut it short i dnt see unrealistically high dower as a remedy but as a problem in some cases. This z as i think it nd ll continue to in spite tht i myself may end up wid a dower ending in millions(But only coz i may be qualified fr tht) but in general i contradict the notion tht it serves any good.

Thanks 2 all fr dere valuables comment nd see u ppl aftr da weekend.

regards

You were not born a winner, and you were not born a loser. You are what you make yourself be.

nageen will become famous soon enough

@ Zoyee

Sorry ,we got deviated a bit but I think both points went side by side as, Dower vs Dowry, not mingled at all and I don't think it's bad (as I consider the both interdependent here in our society.)

I also tried to clear that how dowry influences dower:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nageen View Post
(You didn't question about 'dowry' but I can't talk without its reference.)
I don't think 'Dower' is such a big problem as 'Dowry' because a groom is never burnt in history for not paying a handsome amount for 'dower' as compared to less dowry.

What I observe is that,
1-At first the groom party makes demands for good dowry (what the others have to fulfil).Then ,in return, a large amount is demanded for dower from bride's side .
2- Like big dowry ,big dower is also considered a sign of status these days, so sometimes grooms also fix a large amount or property as dower to show off their status ,without demand froms other side.
4- As far as I think a big dower is mostly fixed as a 'Deferred Dower' which is never paid in successful marriages.
3- People consider it a means of security as S_Ranjha mentioned.But this is true that in some cases it really provides security to such relationships.

but we also raised the issue like:

Quote:
But then too girls aren't responsible for it cuz our society hasn't given the right even to educated girls to demand a specific dower.
Quote:
Then i guess one should be making some effort to make the society realize tht women have 2 b taken on board fr negotiating a specific dower on case 2 case basis keeping in view the criteria discussed previously rather then trying to defend tht demanding unrealistically high dower will help women. Two wrongs dun make a right!!
I'd like to add that in a case bride's guardians demanded to fix 20,00,000 Rs. (2 lacs) for Dower but it was fixed only 20,000 Rs.(twenty thousand rupees) by the groom. Then some months later bride's guardians changed the figure from twenty thousands to 2 lacs in the Nikah Nama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_Ranjha View Post
@ Last island n all others

Now even if accepted tht it serves as a tool providing women some sort of security, i maintain tht making it unrealistically high nd beyond apparent means of man does not serve any good. Im not a good practicing muslim but as far as i,ve understood Islam, 2 me Islam other then social evils mainly puts checks on a man'z conscience nd no physically or financial checks. Nd the biggest protection tht Islam provides is when it says tht "Divorce is the worse permissible thing in the eyes of Allah" nd again it s enforced on conscience of a man.
regards
I agree with him.Islam made rules for the ease of man , so if someone can't pay good dower shouldn't be stressed ,because if it is fixed at the time but not paid later on then what's the use.
Royal Queen of Literature
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: AppreciationBest Moderator Award: Awarded for censoring all swearing and keeping posts in order. - Issue reason: Best ModGold Medal: Awarded to those members with  maximum number of  reputation points. - Issue reason: For the year 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011Member of the Year: Awarded to those community members who have made invaluable contributions to the Community in the particular year - Issue reason: 2008Diligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason: More than 5 years of dedicated servicesModerator: Ribbon awarded to moderators of the forum - Issue reason:

Thanked 15,848 Times in 5,006 Posts
Last Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardomLast Island is headed toward stardom

Quote:
I never opposed 10 millionz fixed in the marriage o my czn on the basis of Shariah tht it crosses any upper limit coz i never found any upper limit.
Because there is no upper limit. Conversion is given for those who talk about so called "sharai haq meher". Sharai is a law of Shara or something fixed by Sahra. Dower must not be less than 10 dirham but there is no upper limit defined. So in Islam, there is no concept of Sharai fixed Haq meher.

Problems sprouted when people started associating dower with divorce. Dower by no means stands for "security". Prompt dower should be paid immediately after Nikah and Deferred is payable at death or dissolution of marriage. It has nothing to do with divorce. Durability of relationship solely lies on trust and mutual love; if its not there, nothing can save the relationship from falling apart.

For boys, it is an obligation. Mostly on the wedding night, husband kinda plea to his wife "Apna haq meher maaf ker do". He has NO RIGHT to make such request.He is bound to pay Prompt dower before touching his wife.

Girls! You need to understand the real meaning of dower. You have the right to demand according to your social position but as Hazrat Muhammad (SAW) said, "The best amount of mahr is that which can be paid easily", make sure the dower remains a gift and must not become a burden for your future husband.
Kamran (Saturday, January 30, 2010), Muhammad T S Awan (Friday, January 29, 2010), nageen (Saturday, January 30, 2010), Zoyee (Saturday, January 30, 2010)
Old Saturday, January 30, 2010
38th CTP (CEG)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2009 - Merit 50

S_Ranjha will become famous soon enough

Tain tain fish fish????? Dower py tu consensus devolop ho gaya. I wish our politicians had been ths gud. Shd we move 2 dowry now right from here if the originator of thread allows.

@ Madam Last Island

Kindly enlighten us regarding the upper n lower limits of dowry as per Islamic rules so we can move forward

You were not born a winner, and you were not born a loser. You are what you make yourself be.
Old Saturday, January 30, 2010

bunko is on a distinguished road

@ Last_Island;

Quote:
For boys, it is an obligation. Mostly on the wedding night, husband kinda plea to his wife "Apna haq meher maaf ker do". He has NO RIGHT to make such request.He is bound to pay Prompt dower before touching his wife.
According to my knowledge, Prompt dower is only payable when it is demanded by wife. And than it becomes obligatory on husband to pay otherwise distinct consequences can be impose on husband by wife. But i have not gone through from any book or source that says before touching wife Prompt is necessary to pay. Prompt means immediately, and it become obligatory to pay in a jeffy, when wife declared it before consummation or after. It is not necessary to pay prompt before consummation or touching wife, if wife is not declared it.

FEEAMANALLAH,
Old Monday, February 01, 2010
Qualifier: Awarded to those Members who cleared css written examination - Issue reason: Css 2010 - Roll no

KAWISH will become famous soon enough

@bunko
lemme help u understand the topic
there r two types of Dower;
Proper n Spesific dower.
Spesific Dower has two secondary kinds;Prompt n Deffered.now prompt is the type w/h become oligatory on husband to pay the moment the wife demands it even before touching her,n if he refuses to pay ,women has all rights to deny performance of marital obligations.
Wife with her own free will can remit part or whole dower.n last important point the payment of dower is compulory for husband.the types of dower just make provisions for the mode of payment,n non spesification f type doesn t effect her right.
Proper dower is that type in which the amount nmode is not specified n this is in particular this type that is the basis of this discussion.some school of islamic law imposes limit n some not.
Regards
Old Sunday, May 30, 2010
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Zoyee has much to be proud ofZoyee has much to be proud ofZoyee has much to be proud ofZoyee has much to be proud ofZoyee has much to be proud ofZoyee has much to be proud ofZoyee has much to be proud ofZoyee has much to be proud ofZoyee has much to be proud of

Valuable discussion on Haqq Meher is as follows:

http://www.mypak.tv/pakistan-news-vi...2nd-april-2010

Regards,
Old Sunday, May 30, 2010

sana_krn has a spectacular aura aboutsana_krn has a spectacular aura about

dowery is not allowed in islam nither its prohibted....ppl use say that Nabi (S.A.W) himself gave dower to his daughter Fatima(R.A) which is not right as Ali (R.A) is like brother to Hazrat Muhhamad (S.A.W) he asked Hazrat Ali(R.A) wat u have for marrige he said nothind xcept a ZIRA he said sold that n thn came to me...n when got bak t him with some dirahams(didnt remember xact amount) he asked him to buy a Chaki(flour mill) n some crokery for kitchen na bed... remaining amount he said this would b dower...so no acctually dowery was paid by him hazrat Ali(R.A) himself bought everything t start new life.
i didnt find any other xample from prophet's companions(R.A) that they gv or take dowery....may b this my lack of knowldge
Old Sunday, May 30, 2010

CJ takes notice of Geo report on ‘Haq Mehr’ case
Geo News, Wednesday, March 03, 2010

PESHAWAR: Chief Justice of Pakistan Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry Wednesday took notice of a report aired by Geo News about an elderly woman, who has been waiting for the court’s verdict on her application about recovery of ‘Haq Mehr’ for the last 40 years.

It may be mentioned here that Geo News had also aired a report about the 70-year-old Saeeda Sultan.

Earlier in the day, Saeeda Sultan came to the Chief Justice court and remained there till the last case.

The woman rose on her seat soon after the court hearing ended. She told the Chief Justice that she has been awaiting to get justice from the courts for 40 years.

Taking notice of her plea, the Chief Justice asked the woman to appear before the court with her counsel.

Later, speaking to Geo, Saeeda Sultan hoped that the court would deliver quick justice about her case.

In Shujabad, a groom and 11 of his relatives were arrested on haq mehr issue.

Haq mehr is an important ingredient of the nikah, as it is the welfare for the woman whether she stays married or divorces.

Recently, in Shujabad, a groom and 11 of his relatives were arrested on haq mehr issue.

The issue was reported in the area of Kacha Paka, after the Barat arrived from Bahawalpur. The dispute arose during the nikah ceremony on the gold brought by the groom's family. The bride's family had actually demanded six tolas of gold while the groom's family had brought only four tolas of gold. During the dispute, the groom was also beaten by the relatives of the bride and the bride's relative took the entire barat hostage. The police arrived on the scene and arrested 12 baratis, including the groom.

The bride's relatives demanded the dowry that they had given and also demanded the money they had spent on the arrangements of the function.

But interestingly this is only one side of the story. According to beepers of the bride's family, the groom had demanded a motorcycle in the dowry. The demand for the bike was accepted. However; when the groom came for the wedding ceremony he demanded a new Honda. According to the news channel, the two sides clashed on this.

The groom maintained that they had fought over the haq mehr issue, which is the dower that the groom gives to his at the time of the marriage. The groom claimed that he had brought four gold bangles but was asked by the bride's family to write all four in the haq mehr, which he refused and said that he would only give two. Later, the groom also stated that he and the bride were involved with each other, and because of this incident between their families the wedding was called off. Apparently, this statement was made as an afterthought to malign the girl's name, only to avenge the insult that he and his family had faced. If this had been true, he would have done what another groom in a small town of Punjab had done. In that incident, the two families clashed on the use of firecrackers. And, unlike the Shujabad groom, this groom didn't indulge in the fist, but escaped with his betrothed in a rickshaw.

Levity aside, the above is an extremely serious matter, where sometimes the consequences are far worse than the two families fighting and being jailed. More often than not, the groom's family sends a long list of things they want in exchange for marrying the girl. Usually the items on the list are not for the bride who is not even allowed to touch her own dowry, as this automatically becomes the property of her in-laws.

Source: http://thenews.com.pk/newsmag/mag/de...id=447&magId=1

Quote:
Origionally posted by sana krn dowery is not allowed in islam nither its prohibted...i didnt find any other xample from prophet's companions(R.A) that they gv or take dowery....may b this my lack of knowldge
Thanks for your views but the topic is more relevant to dower (Haqq Mehr) not dowry.I want from you people:

1. To point out any case either dower has become any issue because of its low or high amount?
  2. To point any case in which girl didn't received dower yet.

3. What do you think it should be specified on bride's wish or according to financial position of groom only?

4. If it is specified according to groom's financial status then why its being ignored in most of cases even groom can afford it? why its confined to a written document only?

5. What do you think that Dower amount should be as high as expenses of marriage in order to give women protection and importance? Outcome of this strategy can be like to get marriage with simplicity and avoid pretty much expenses.

6. What social or any legal (if possible) measures should be taken for those people who specified dower but didn't pay yet even after Divorce??

7. Why people used to take Dower as dowry money? (Example of Shujabad incident, mentioned above)

Regards,