Friday, March 29, 2024
07:42 PM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > General > Discussion

Discussion Discuss current affairs and issues helpful in CSS only.

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Thursday, February 04, 2010
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

niazikhan2 has a spectacular aura aboutniazikhan2 has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation Aafia convicted of trying to kill Americans

NEW YORK: A US-educated Pakistani woman was found guilty on Wednesday of trying to kill American servicemen in Afghanistan.

Aafia Siddiqui, 37, a neuroscientist trained at the prestigious Massachusetts Institute of Technology, was found guilty on all charges by a jury in federal court. Aafia was convicted of charges that she tried to kill Americans while detained in Afghanistan in 2008. A family lawyer immediately announced an appeal, citing “prejudice and bias.”

Siddiqui was accused of grabbing a rifle at an Afghan police station, where she was being interrogated in July 2008 and trying to gun down a group of the US servicemen. Although she was not charged with terrorism, prosecutors described her as a would-be terrorist, who had also plotted to bomb New York. Her lawyers tried to prove she was insane, but a judge ruled her fit to stand trial.

Tina Monshipour, an attorney for Siddiqui’s family, said afterwards: “This verdict is being subject to an appeal.” “There were a lot of unfair decisions,” Monshipour said, adding “She was portrayed as a terrorist even if there were no terrorism charges in this trial. This is one of those cases in which we see prejudice and bias invade the courtroom.”

Siddiqui, wearing a white veil, repeatedly disrupted her trial with outbursts at the jury, witnesses and her own lawyers, including claims that she was a victim of Israel. After being found guilty, she responded in similar fashion, saying: “This is a verdict from Israel, not America. The anger should be directed where it belongs.”

Prosecutors claimed that Siddiqui was arrested by the Afghan police in the town of Ghazni with notes indicating plans to attack the Statue of Liberty and other New York landmarks. However, she was charged only with attempted murder.

Prosecutors said she picked up a rifle in the police station where she was being held and opened fire on US servicemen and FBI representatives. She missed and was herself shot by one of the US soldiers.

Defence lawyers argued that there was no physical evidence, such as finger prints or gunpowder traces, to show Siddiqui even grabbed the rifle, let alone opened fire. Human rights groups have long speculated that Siddiqui may have been secretly imprisoned and tortured at the US base in Bagram, Afghanistan, during the five years prior to the 2008 incident.

The US military has denied she was ever held at the base. Siddiqui was living in Pakistan when she vanished in March 2003.

Meanwhile, Pakistan on Wednesday voiced dismay after a US court found a Pakistani woman guilty of trying to kill American troops in Afghanistan and vowed to press her case. “We are dismayed over the unexpected verdict of the jury in Dr Aafia Siddiqui’s case,” Pakistan’s embassy in Washington said in a statement.

“The government of Pakistan made intense diplomatic and legal efforts on her behalf and will consult the family of Dr Aafia Siddiqui and the team of defence lawyers to determine the future course of action,” it said. “The government will do all that is needed to provide justice to her as a Pakistani citizen,” it added.

bunko is on a distinguished road

Hurry ! Congratulate All ! Who Believe in Peace and Prosperity.

1 More ally of terrorists down. She deserve it. In fact every terrorists deserve same consequences who act any part to deprive others husband, brother, sister, son, daughter by doing bombings and indiscriminate killings. I wish she gets harsher punishment to make lesson for every terrorists, who kills the humanity.

Allah says," When a person kills another person, He kills whole humanity ".
Blossomberrry (Thursday, February 04, 2010), maryam syed (Friday, February 05, 2010)

Flavia is on a distinguished road

@ bunko

I am so disgusted by ur way of thinking dat i don't even deem ur comments worthy of any comment..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flavia For This Useful Post:
Abdullah Nayyar (Thursday, February 04, 2010), Ayesha Mahmood (Thursday, February 04, 2010), Lord AvaLon (Thursday, February 04, 2010), philosopher (Tuesday, February 09, 2010), RAKSHAN (Thursday, February 04, 2010)

farooqsohal is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

@ bunko

First of all for all, for addition in your "____" knowledge we all believe in peace and prosperity.
Secondly, would you like to share with us that form where you concluded that she is ally of terrorists? I agree with you that every terrorist should face harsher punishment but before declaring her an ally of terrorist without even giving a single reason one should be very careful. I request you that before rendering such comments you should first peruse the history and all the aspects of her case. I think even after reading the proceedings of her case before the American Court you will feel regret for you baseless and ridiculous comments.

bunko is on a distinguished road

@ Farooq,

Dear, Than why you and her lawyers failed to prove her innocent ? Because she is not. Truth is in front of us now. Why America need a nuro-scientist who know very well how to use pistols in her custody ? Because she is culprit, she tried to kill american soldiers. Why you guys cannot imagine a girl or female can be a terrorists and criminal. Why you people always show your soft corner for female even knowing that they are at fault. Nobody proved she is innocent, So according to law she is Criminal and it is nice to hear american verdict today about her, otherwise she might played a part in any action that may cause civilians injuries.
Blossomberrry (Thursday, February 04, 2010), syeda naqvi (Friday, November 18, 2011)

oriental is on a distinguished road
@Bunko

Adaab

I see your reply a bit ironical.......may be I am wrong but it seems you are protesting for her in this way.....this is another way of saying that SHE IS INNOCENT....

I may be wrong but the fact is that We can only speculate about her case ......coz we only know the thing that come to us through media....and unfortunately she is a Muslim so we have soft feeling for her that is quite natural......Heaven knows if she is innocent or guilty....

Regards
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

niazikhan2 has a spectacular aura aboutniazikhan2 has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation

@bunko
so bizarre thinking..shame on you..what you have proof that she is culprit..??no.AMERICA JEWISH JURY IS not proof..? i think you are so callous....i think you have no sister and heart too....you should be advocate of obama...American are innocent and AFIA is killer what a joke is it....! ! SHAME ON YOUR MIND....suppose al.qaeda ,TALIBAN are terrorist,,how mant they killed.3000 american in 9/11 but america have killed 1000000 in AFGHANISTAN...so shame on you and on your mindset...! ! sharm se doob maro
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to niazikhan2 For This Useful Post:
farooqsohal (Saturday, February 06, 2010), RAKSHAN (Thursday, February 04, 2010)

oriental is on a distinguished road
@niazikhan2

Quite blunt rejoinder ! very sentimental indeed,but let the person express his viewpoint....there should be freedom of thought if not expression ,at least.....this is an unfortunate incident ,especially for a women (and a Muslim woman) but we don't have the right to ridicule and scold other people only coz they have conflicting ideas ......we are living in a democratic environment and we must cultivate the habit of listening to the opposite ideas.....no matter if they are wrong or right.....

I hope you won't feel it offending....

Regards
Oriental

Black Avenger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunko View Post
Hurry ! Congratulate All ! Who Believe in Peace and Prosperity.

1 More ally of terrorists down. She deserve it. In fact every terrorists deserve same consequences who act any part to deprive others husband, brother, sister, son, daughter by doing bombings and indiscriminate killings. I wish she gets harsher punishment to make lesson for every terrorists, who kills the humanity.

Allah says," When a person kills another person, He kills whole humanity ".

Lol...Did you even read the news item? It says that she is convicted on charges of attempted murder not TERRORISM...enuff to open your eyes but i know nuthing can open the hearts of people liek you...huh.

Last edited by Andrew Dufresne; Thursday, February 04, 2010 at 08:58 PM. Reason: BBC code for Quote added
38th CTP (CEG)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2009 - Merit 50

S_Ranjha will become famous soon enough

I would like add here tht as we know tht only charges filed against her were tht she tried 2 kill american soldier nd FBI official by opening fire. Now as per media reports even there was no evidence provided to prove these allegationz like finger prints over gun, any evidence suggesting tht even if any bullet was actually fired etc

But i,ve another issue 2 raise here. Y dont smone ask tht jury tht if these r da allegations against her nd nothing more then( then even if i assume this true) i wud like 2 knw y da hell on earth she was in custody of USA in Afghanistan fr interrogation. Interrogation 4 what as u dun have any charges against her prior 2 tht day. Under vot law a Pakistani citizen was abducted nd shifted 2 Afghanistan nd 4 vot?? I knw da role of our then govt in it but let ask USA how she justifies her this action.

You were not born a winner, and you were not born a loser. You are what you make yourself be.