Friday, April 19, 2024
01:51 PM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > General > Discussion

Discussion Discuss current affairs and issues helpful in CSS only.

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Friday, February 19, 2010

hanif.sadia is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down No threats, No democracy

No threats, No democracy

“There is no threat to democracy….” This is the sentence most commonly used in our political atmosphere by our many leaders. Even on 10-january-2010 UK foreign minister David Miliband stated similarly that “no threat to Pak democracy:” it was a headline of The New of Pakistan on 10-jan-2010. Further he praised democratic system of Pakistan with following words “Democratic setup is the best in Pakistan and incumbent government has verified during last two years”. I am also of the view that there is no threat to democracy in Pakistan but my view based on one of the solid and real veracity that “as there is no democracy at all then definitely it could have no threats”. I questioned from my political leaders that why they are defaming the concept of democracy by naming such a corrupt, dishonest and cruel system as democratic. Our politicians are developing wrong concepts about democracy and create hate for democracy.
Our poor people have taken no benefit from this system of democracy. They may think that there was not as much load shedding in Musharraf time, there may be no floor or sugar crisis during his whole era, there was no as much price hikes in his time, there were no as much bomb blasts in his time and after this they end the Army leaders are better then these selected one. It means authoritarianism is better for them then democracies. Politicians and media channel and newspaper tell the people only limited meaning of democracy i.e. “free and fare elections”. It's totally unfair to connect the democracy only to this limited application which is applicable by the public only. Means politicians put away the implementation of democracy on the poor unaware and innocent public, that if they vote rightly then they got democracy. Politicians make themselves relax towards implementation of true democracy which encounter various other applications which includes love for civil rights, transparency and accountability , democracy embodies a faith that a more moral, it represents liberty and responsibility.
It is important for our public and politicians to understand the true meaning of democracy and then see whether it exists in our country? I go through a book by Steven J.Hood named as “political development and democratic theory” by reading this book one could easily analyses that whether there is democracy in Pakistan or not? Even this book could clear those Muslim brothers who thought that democracy is unislamic concept. According to this book “Democracy is in better hands if its leaders are gentle and virtuous. They should respect mores and believe in them intensely”. Just think ones whether we have such leaders? All of us know this unofficially first but letter it had been declared officially by Supreme Court through declaring NRO as unlawful that all our leaders are plundering. Could we have democratic system under such leaders? Out of 8 thousand beneficiaries of NRO 34 are political leaders, means real protectors of country…….. It's not a trifling matter, it needs a serious concern. People responsible for the fate of 179 million populations are themselves proved legally as plunders. Until Pakistan has such corrupt leaders there could be no democracy in Pakistan and from the beginning of our state we have never achieved a full democratic system.
On February 15 of 2010, Chairperson PML-N declares President of Pakistan Mr. Zardari as a main threat to democracy after his serious interruption in legal process. Before this Mr. Nawaz Sharif was along Mr. Zardari to save him on his seat and feel no threats to democracy. He feels true democracy when present government fails to solve energy crisis and decide for purchasing rental power projects RPPs which letter on proved as corrupt process by ADB report on it. The opposition feels true democracy when this government decides to bombard on their own people, there was a true democracy when they start picking Bloch peoples without giving them right to defend them in courts. Where was the democracy when without whole consensus our government decides to lend from IMF? Our governments do not worth the participatory approach which is an excellent tool to implement true democracy. They are afraid of this approach because this approach could minimize their chances to sack and rob.
Moreover with the emerge of this government most of politicians use harsh comments for one another and use the phenomenon that in democracy government have to face harsh reactions. This attitude of most of opposition develop another poor concept about democracy that democracy is the name of riots, strikes, protests and pass over of harsh comments using poor language. Public does not like quarrelsome environment, protests and riots make their lives difficult. Politicians are creating unsatisfactory attitude of people towards democracy through their activities. People think that this is democracy that creates as much restlessness in the country and therefore automatically their minds favored authoritarianism.
Democracy includes transparency, accountability, efficiency, and effectiveness, rule of law, participation and consensus. In short we can say that it demands good governance. It is not limited to only free and fair elections. Actual and complete democracy needs to implement by the selected government. If the government fails to solve crisis in favor of country, if government's people proved to be corrupt then there could be no more democracy.
In this whole situation, our people have no true concepts of democracy due to which there is no pressure from people for the implementation of true democracy. In Pakistan now we have free media and it is only media that could enhance knowledge of people of Pakistan to achieve true democratic norms and codes. A big part of our population is unable to read but they can hear and see hence media should demonstrate true meanings of democracy and guide the people that how we could achieve it. Due to unawareness our people are unable to decide in favor of prosperity of Pakistan. Democracy is not limited to true voting system it needs true and fair governance system.

“Don’t forget to comment”
Old Friday, February 19, 2010

shah110 is on a distinguished road

@hanif.sadia

After reading your composition and criticism I have reached the point that you are not satisfied with present Democratic System. Though its natural that ideas and thinkings vary from person to person, but your highlighted points in opposition of Present system of democracy are quite veracious.

Sorry to say, it seems like a utopian type of Democratic system for which you are advocating. We accept, that there are flaws and weaknesses in our present Democratic system, but the influence of these flaws and weaknesses could be mitigated only with the passage of time. Its not a matter of hours and Rome was not built in a day. Even it wouldn't be wrong to say that its a matter of years rather than months. Toleration is the first lesson of Democracy of which there is a acute paucity in our nation. You know when a child comes in this material world, in his intial days he/she makes mistakes and with the dreadful experiences of different aspects of life, he/she gets maturity. Even some time in early phase of his life, he gets his hands burned by the fire. But you know what? Thats what teaches him/her the lesson of reality and carefulness.

Now, I fetch my self out of examples to compare with realities.

Though Our Democratic System is in a phase of infancy, yet we have uptill now learnt that its only Democracy which can pull us out of desparity and despondency. A bulk of things remain to be learnt, but with appropriate time. If your can't say this system Democratic and full extent, but it is likely to say to some extent. And that is what we have acheaved in the last 63 years. Though the pace of our progress is not at par to the other countries, yet we also should keep an eye over other factors involved and effecting the smooth sailing of our Democratic system to have a judicious verdict. Mass Illiteracy, Corruption, Poverty, Political Instability, Insecurity, Terrorism, Mass injusticesses, Global Recession, Limited Reources and the list goes on. In other words you can say, that our country is in a precarious situation and beset with innumerable problem simultaneously. The coluds of threat always remain in one way or the other, still we are flourishing in the world. It is not of little value. I Salute the capacity of Pakistan of forbearance. Still it is flourishing.

My Dear, in my concluding words for this reply I would just say, that " Thandi Kar Ke Khana Zada Acha Hota Hai Coz Garam Garam Kha lainay say Mouth Jal jata Hai".

Hope it serves.

Regards & Reverence
Old Saturday, February 20, 2010

hanif.sadia is on a distinguished road

thnx for nice coment
whether i agree with all ur details. but dont u think that we are moving tooooooo much slowly. although we could not achieve perfect system even in totally true democratic system but whole political scenario is going back to era of 90s, whereas if it is improving slowly then it should not move back.
waiting for further discussion.
The Following User Says Thank You to hanif.sadia For This Useful Post:
deera (Saturday, February 20, 2010)
Old Saturday, February 20, 2010

shah110 is on a distinguished road

@hanif.sadia

Dear Aspirant

I do not avert this general understanding of Democratic growth in our society, rather I admitted in my first reply that the pace of democratic system in our society is too slow. But we need to understand the root causes of this epidemic in our society. As I have mentioned some of them in my earlier post.

If broadly speaking I will say, that in past 63 years our child of democracy have been murdered several times. At every forum it has been repressed and haven't let grow. We can not blame only to Generals for this setback. A lot of other factors have played their part.

Now, I personally think that its time to contribute in our country's growth and progress. To purge the country from evil brands, of which we have been labeled by others. Beating about the bush would bring nothing expect instability in immature minds. So try to be pragmatic and rational.

Regards and Reverence
The Following User Says Thank You to shah110 For This Useful Post:
deera (Saturday, February 20, 2010)