Tuesday, April 16, 2024
08:36 PM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > General > Discussion

Discussion Discuss current affairs and issues helpful in CSS only.

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Monday, June 28, 2010
40th CTP (IRS)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Merit 176Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

rose_pak is a jewel in the roughrose_pak is a jewel in the roughrose_pak is a jewel in the roughrose_pak is a jewel in the rough
Smile Women Harrassment at workplace, Home and while they are at commute

Women empowerment has been a priority for Pak governments. Be that BB Government or Nawaz's in 90s or Musharraf regime in the fist decade of this century, every government have taken some steps. However the implementation of such policies has never been taken seriously.

The current government has done well in terms of law making to empower women however same problem occurs again - non implementation of policies. Some months ago the parliament passed a law Protection of women Harrassment at workplace Bill. It is feared that the implementation of this bill will also possess a difficulty due to non commtiment of officials. Several other laws exist as well but not implemented well.

By describing this background, we should keep in mind that the women harrassment is still continues and basic human rights are violated at workplaces, homes and in streets.

Today in the morning, I came across an ancident that a female sitting on front seat of a taxi was continuesly being starred by the taxi driver, which was not only humiliating for the lady but also making her embarrased. However she managed to sit without saying a single word to the driver; she might be thinking of insult in case she speaks.

Here I want to intiate a disscussion that How this violance - at workplace, home, in streets and in taxis - against women can be avoided keeping in view that current situation of Pakistan - mismanagement and non implementation of policies.

Adnan Manzoor is on a distinguished road
Arrow Well Said Brother

To find the solutions we should take into our consideration every aspect like, society, culture, religion.

The solution I suggest is according to Islmic point of view, first of all women should observe parda because when a lady is in proper dress as recomended by Islam the chances of her harrasment are very few.

2nd step in this regard is women should opt for the jobs in which they donot have to work closely with men.

3rdly Government should take steps to develop women oriented Exlusive Institutions both for study and job.

4thly administration and Government should ensure strict comliane of Laws related to Harrasment.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adnan Manzoor For This Useful Post:
rose_pak (Monday, June 28, 2010), Umme (Tuesday, June 29, 2010)
40th CTP (IRS)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Merit 176Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

rose_pak is a jewel in the roughrose_pak is a jewel in the roughrose_pak is a jewel in the roughrose_pak is a jewel in the rough
Smile

Well Adnan,

Good suggessions however keeping women out of men institutes would not solve the problem. Women are assests for the country having same weightage as men. If they are kept seperated then the huge potential would be lost.

Secondly, I second you on observing islamic dress codes by women however this is not the solution of the problem. Surely, women should observer Islamic - proper - dress code but this does not mean that all is needed to be done by women. This is tantamount to saying to victim to protect herself instead of punishing the criminal. Don't we are on the same line as accusing murderee of being murdered instead of punishing the murderer.
The Following User Says Thank You to rose_pak For This Useful Post:
Andrew Dufresne (Monday, June 28, 2010)

Lightbulb Think beyond the box

What you are saying is to think beyoubd the box, yes this a good approach. Every one has his own unique thinking so I invite forum members to give solutions for stoping Female Harrasment.
The Following User Says Thank You to Adnan Manzoor For This Useful Post:
rose_pak (Monday, June 28, 2010)

Sady is on a distinguished road

whenever such a topic is discoursed upon, only woman is made victim. Nobody look at the root causes sowing the seeds of this humiliating gender discrimination in our society. It is not a secret what is instilled in males all along their lives. They are just made feel as if they are the super creature than females; have a deserved right to rule over females; blah blah ....
That is the unearned sense of superiority of males that inflicts such humiliations on females in all walks of life whether it is the case of workplaces or home. And misery of the fact is, on coming to know about such incidences, everyone feels obligued criticize women rather condemning those offenders. All religious dress codes and moral values are supposed to be linked only to females, Why?
No protection law is going to help this situation unless we reshape our consciens and perceptions. AND That is to be start from your own home institution.

Sheda is on a distinguished road

Adnan, The idea that women should be segregated or observe the purdah to counter abuse is absurd. Why should it be the women to worry about the actions of the men? Don’t you think its unjust? Where a man is only responsible for his actions, a woman is responsible herself as well as the actions of a man? This twisted logic that a woman who doesn’t observe purdah brings the abuse upon herself is idiotic since it doesn’t hold up vice versa. And I know this is where the islamists will come swinging against me. But I simply don’t get it. A man’s virtue is only his actions and while a woman’s virtue is not only his actions but the effect she has on others?
We live in a patriarchal society. And it has always been like that for most societies. I understand the exaggerated importance on men in the age of troglodytes, where physical strength was the measure of importance, but in this day and age treating women as the “Other” is incomprehensible. Well, old habits die hard, but there will be a time, or at least I hope there is, when such distinctions will be a distant memory.
But as long as religious/social lunatics can create headlines and shout about morality ( I wonder how all morality is confined to a single act: Bind your women down), and people like me, including myself, are too scared to fight it out in open, and resort to anonymous comments in forums like this, I don’t see a ray of hope.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sheda For This Useful Post:

Lightbulb @Sheda

I was having few points but I dont put farwaded them to listen view point of other members so that discussion could bring some interesting facts in front of us.

Read cerefully my very first post regardind this thread.

Now I wil go step by step with each argument and solution

Argument#1
I said first and most important solution is, women should observe parda;
Why!... Now this is the point

Please have a deep breath be neutral not biased then think why parda is important, if is not necessasry why ordered by our beloved Prophet(PBUH), do any one disagree that society give respect to those who observe pardah,
I wana say just try it and observe the results.

a) Cultural change: Our culture is being changed on the lines of western culture, like Dress, Co-education, free mixing of male and female in universties and work institution, but have any one realised the consequences! Tell me why divorce rate is getting higher and higher, please go to some universty and observe deep effects of co-education.

My dear brothers and sisters those who observe carefully can find the truth easily.

Argument#2

Why we can not develop institution for male and female seprately, is there any problem than tell me. I admit that 51% of human resource consists of womens, so they should be given opportunity but we should find the bes ways.

Argument#3

If a female,s dress code is objectionable, yes she is responsible if some one stares at her, because she is inviting this kind of behaviour.

Argument#4

Long process, we are talking about change in behaviour of individul
It is a long process so our basic training should be according to this.
We should teach our children moral values, to boys.... that they should respects womens and to girls... that they should observe parda.

Argument#5

I know society always have trouble makers, there should be strict punishment for those evils, but please understand Why a female does not raise her voice if some one absuses her. If we are following western world we should look that how they have controled the situation, there females are confident enough that a male think before daring to harrase them.

Argument#6

I think we are confused in Islam and western culture, please dont be confuse follow islam because it is the only religion in the world that protects womens rights best as compared to any other religion.

Adnan
Lets not fight...

But you dont have an argument here at all...

1) Because Islam says so is not an argument. Its a statement. And when you throw religion into an argument, you basically devoid it of any rationale. And While I respect that, I reiterate: That you don't have an argument.

2) Segregation creates and breeds inequality. And why should there be segregation in the first place? You have given me ONE reason... ( Again, because religion says so IS NOT an argument. )

3) This is ridiculous. My whole argument was against it. Did you bother to read? Why women are so special to be given double responsibility? Why are they responsible for theirs and others' actions while you being a man aint ? Read my previous post again. Also, argument needs to have a chain of reasoning. It seems you think, putting out a statement is same as an argument. Once again, your third so called argument is not an argument.

and now i am getting tired to repeat myself so I will summarize
Your argument 4, 5, 6 are again NOT arguments.

Lightbulb @Sheda

Ok if any one want to put religion aside it upto him/her.

Now I will answer as per your post.

#1 You said why women should be segregated....... I wana say that I am purposing seprate institution for male and female you didnt noticed that I am segregating male too, and why they should work together teel me if they can work seprate and independent.

#2 It is easy to criticise but difficult to provide solution, give me some solution to finish womens harrasement other than I gave earlier. Independence comes with responsibility

Again your segregation argument reminds me of infamous "separate but equal" doctrine prevalent in US during late part of 19th and early part of 20th century.

Problem with your argument is , that you have conveniently forgotten or deliberately ignored the point I raised in the first place: Society is patriarchal in nature. When a dominant force exists already, a segregation of the dominated by the dominant would only serve to increase their control. I can only hope you can see that. ( I doubt that btw)
Men donot need to be in the dialogue with women because they control the process anyway based on what they think is right. Putting women, the people without a say in the matter anyway, in another corner by segregation would only serve to render their opinion more useless... Without segregation, their is a much greater chance of a dialogue and discourse between the sexes and mellowing of opinion over time. With segregation, there is none. Do you get that ?

Secondly, faith is a beautiful thing. I envy people with staunch, unquestionable faith. But their is a reason the term is called "faith" in itself. Difference between faith and belief is that faith by the very nature is not based on reason. There is nothing wrong with it, as I said i rather envy such people. But once you bring that irrationality into a debate, arguments are useless....

As far as the solution goes... My idea, is totally different from you. Building on the case above, I advocate no segregation and open dialogue ,which I already said is not possible given the moral/mullah police who wont win a seat in NA but can shout on the channels create mayhem on the streets. That is why I am not hopeful. Maybe in 100 years things will be different but without a dialogue, which people like you dont want and segregation, chances of such evolution are rather bleak...

P.S
I donot want to further this debate and I will not respond again. For the simple reasons, that my ideas no matter how lucid and rationally sound they are would be met with skepticism. And you cant win when religion is a part of the debate anyway.
I wish you all the best and hope you at least read through what I wrote...

Take care
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sheda For This Useful Post:
Andrew Dufresne (Monday, June 28, 2010), rose_pak (Tuesday, June 29, 2010), Sociologist PU (Monday, June 28, 2010)