Saturday, April 20, 2024
01:57 PM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > General > Discussion

Discussion Discuss current affairs and issues helpful in CSS only.

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Shamoon is on a distinguished road
Default One step forward, two steps backward; CSS 2012 Age Relaxation

Salus Populi Suprema lex- CSS 2012 Age Relaxation

CSS Age Relaxation issue has been highlighted and strongly demanded by all the quarters of serious aspirants but government is standing unfazed by its audacious decision passed back in 2008. This article is also the manifestation of strongest demand of people, which is indeed gaining momentum. This is the continuum of my previous article.

The population of Pakistan is roughly about 180,000,000, following is the historical trend which shows the rise of urban population since the country’s creation. It means that Pakistan is going to transit from agro economy to industrial economy (unfortunately shrinking economy).

Historical Populations

Census Population Urban

1951 33,816,000 17.80%
1961 42,978,000 22.46%
1972 65,321,000 25.40%
1981 84,254,000 28.28%
1998 130,580,000 32.51%
2008 172,800,000 32.34%

However, according to the 2009 Human Development Report of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP),60.3% of Pakistanis live on less than $2 a day. The World Bank Report 2010 for second fiscal mentions that 3.4 million more people will go below poverty level in Pakistan. The prices for basic commodities have also inflated manyfolds. It means, for students, that one has to drop one’s education for good(bad) to render the support to ailing household economy. Another option for them is that to discontinue the education temporarily and earn the tuition fee while supporting the family. For this purpose one has to afford the academic gaps and late completion of education. If one does so, one goes beyond the prescribed age limit for CSS and government’s set rules blocks one’s entry to even appear in CSS exam and serve one’s own country in the capacity he/she deserves. How ironic!!!

Now cast a glimpse at the literacy rate in Pakistan:

definition: aged 10 and over and can read and write

* Total population: 57%
* Male: 69%
* Female: 45% (2009 est.)

If you go to HEC website, only 132 degree awarding institutes are there in the Land of Pure which are registered, let alone their capacity to cater the need of education to the masses. Let alone the dwindling financial powers of masses to afford higher education, with rocketing sky high inflation and transcending poverty level, at the cost of their household budget. The dilemma goes on and on, and whole cabinet had orchestrated the music which made our PM harp on the same tunes of NO REFORMS, NO ADVACEMENT.

Above statistics of literacy make us think that the figures depicted in it would represent mostly under-grads or less even many with no formal education certificate/degree because we don’t have infrastructure to educate 57% of 180,000,000 people in universities or degree awarding colleges. It is proven; remember fake degree holders in assemblies through 2008 election, 342 seats in national assembly couldn’t be filled out by all geniune degree holders some were fake degree holder legislator. There are some brave people who somehow managed to get higher education by fits and starts, by leaps and bounds and by sheer will of theirs to get better themselves and their families are prohibited to even take the competitive exam to serve their country because of their ‘age’!!!! As state of the Pakistani politics is well evident that no educated person wants to get involved himself/herself that is why most parties found dearth of educated people in their lines, therefore, they fielded fake degree holders in their constituencies. Apart of it, Pakistan is not a welfare state where there is free education for all, free meal for all, free health facilities for all, free of security issues and government would take care people’s all basic needs. We live in a third world country where we have to pay the tax for the most basic necessity to live, Water, tax for daily consumption. In an article published in Daily Dawn dated 24-02-2011 (by Asghar Soomro) with the title ‘Why short term remedies’, he referred a report published by a Lahore based NGO which I feel like to share:

It is pertinent to refer here to a Lahore-based NGO’s Annual Status of Education Report Pakistan 2010. The report indicates a higher rate (25.3) of tuition for students of private schools as compared to those in government schools (9.7 per cent). Private schools tend to fleece parents under one pretext or another. At the time of the final decision regarding the future of those schools one hopes all these factors are taken into consideration and parents are not left to the mercy of the entrepreneurs.

The dictator Gen (R) Pervez Musharraf who tampered with the civil services rules, may be in good faith, confessed in an interview with Jasmine aired by Samma TV that he failed to bring about reforms which he intended to. He particularly mentioned his failure to devolve power to grass root level and couldn’t fully cooked the recipe to the taste of general public. Hence his reforms turned out to be the half backed cake that is why government is reverting back to old commissioner system. Government argues that the Local body system has miserably failed to deliver as to what it was deemed in the past, consequently lot of troubles followed e.g. one of the biggest is profiteering at the grass root level. There are also some other administrative issues circumscribing this system. If the architect of this system himself confessing that it is now a half baked cake then why to cling with this piece of raw commodity. It is requested to either transit wholly or scrub its vestiges out of the country. If the system is being reverted back to old style then all scheme has to be restructured.

Many times FPSC has tried to draw the government’s attention towards the deteriorating state of education system which is portrayed in all FPSC’s, KPPSC’s and other boards’ annual reports but all ranting, raving and lamenting have fallen on government’s deaf ears. It is hard to make people understand the benefits of reform when their benefits are associated with not understanding and sticking to their rot. All the time FPSC chairman called on the President and Prime Minister and told about the lack of interest and capability of general public towards the civil services but their meeting can be summarized as ‘they met, wept and left’, no result at all.

HEC is trying to make our higher education system abreast with international education system but our requirements are that of primitive type. Listen to US president’s first speech to State of the Union in which he announced the waiver of education loan to 50% if the borrower joins public service. And here in our land of pure people are restricted to even take the exam to prove their competency. Our Prime Minister wants young people to run the state affairs while allowing the oldies to stay in their office even after retirement by bestowing on them extended contracts. The pretext behind their extension is the dearth of mature and capable people required to run the sophisticated and strategic positions.

All aspirants request Prime Minister and President of Pakistan to please consider candidates demand and decide in favor of the will of public- Please FPSC, PRESIDENT AND PRIME MINISTER ENHANCE AGE AND ACADEMIC QUALIFICATION CRITERIA; 16 YEARS OF EDUCATION AND 35 YEARS OF GENERAL AGE RELAXATION.

Salus Populi Suprema lex (Welfare of the People is the Supreme Law)

Shamoon Qureshi

Age relaxaion for CSS Exams part 2: One step forward, two steps backward
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shamoon For This Useful Post:
Ali Ahmad Syed (Tuesday, March 08, 2011), Invincible (Tuesday, March 08, 2011), Maroof Hussain Chishty (Wednesday, March 09, 2011), unsolved_Mystery (Tuesday, March 08, 2011), Yasir Khan Durrani (Tuesday, March 08, 2011)
40th CTP (DMG)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Merit 27

mani1 has a spectacular aura aboutmani1 has a spectacular aura aboutmani1 has a spectacular aura about

I don't support age relaxation. Already 14,000 apply and only 300 get allocated. I would never want elderly people to ruin chances of the young. Will do everything in my power to ensure age relaxation does not takes place.

Thanked 1,074 Times in 471 Posts
Ali Ahmad Syed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmad Syed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmad Syed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmad Syed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmad Syed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmad Syed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmad Syed is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up I am seconding Shamoon

A very thorough and comprehensive analysis of the scenario given by Shamoon for which he deserve commendation. The people in power must heed to the growing need and demand of age extension. By keeping in view the scenario and factors highlighted by Shamoon the extension in age-limit is extremely desirable and in best interest of the country.
Qualifier: Awarded to those Members who cleared css written examination - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Roll no 5951

hassanshariq is on a distinguished road

I dont want to offend anyone, but age relaxation should not be done. The whole process is already very competitive. And the age relaxation till the age of 35 seems nothing but insane to me.

if someone has not been able to make up his mind for CSS exam by 35 years of age, either he does not really want to do it, or he knows he is not capable enough. The prestitgious service of Pakistan needs young blood, imagine a guy appearing at 35 years age. Usually it takes about 2-3 yrs for one to be placed as officer after the exam and the subsequent trainings. So, basically people at the age of 37-38 would be joining as ASP, AC, and third secretary and all other. Now that does not sound all that good.

And if someone has missed it till 28, what happens all of sudden that in a matter of just one or two years he gets so inspired about CSS. I feel its a matter of choice, those who have ever been serious about trying their luck in this exam, attempt it by 28 even if thats just one attempt.

One complete his 16 yr education by 22-23, even if one gets onto a job because of his family reasons, still u have 5 yrs at minimum that you can prepare. If someone keeps studying for 3 years with a job, he can take his first attempt at 25-26 even then.

In my opinion, all those who have not been able to take css exam by 28, have either not considered it has a serious option earlier, and now into their practical life they realize the real charm of this service, or are not courageous enough to take on this challenge. In both cases i feel they donot represent the kind of people that should be allowed into this system.

I reiterate, i donot want to offend anyone, this is just my personal opinion. But i would still take the stand that in almost every profession people get settled by 28. In case of CSS it should be the same.

shtanzeel will become famous soon enough

There should be no age relaxation, even if it is given, the selectees will suffer badly, they will supperanaute when they would be in BS 19, and DMG officers in BS-20. They would be seeing their batchmates serving in BS-22 for years even as chief secretaries. It will cause them continous mental torture, and inferiority complex. Because retired life is the worst scenario. In words of Former CS Punjab, Kamran Rasool, a retired bureaucrait is just like a "chala howa kartoos". Retiring alongwith whole of the batch at proper time ensures proper grade and mental satisfaction. Such elderly joining civil service will just be having mental torture for 5,6 years after retirement. As after officers, get promoted ahead of BS-20, the sense of "we" is finished especially in DMG officers. Batchmates are not willing to listen phones of batch mates.
40th CTP (DMG)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Merit 27

mani1 has a spectacular aura aboutmani1 has a spectacular aura aboutmani1 has a spectacular aura about

I am planning a protest at liberty chowk against possible age increase in the next month. Already 10 guys are in and we are expecting 10-20 more. If I can gather more from here that would be good. Also have already written to all political parties and their leaders. I also suggest that whoever is against the age issue, join us in protest and write against it at all forums.

Let us join hands in fighting off the elderlies who want to steal our right

Thanked 1,074 Times in 471 Posts
Ali Ahmad Syed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmad Syed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmad Syed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmad Syed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmad Syed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmad Syed is a splendid one to beholdAli Ahmad Syed is a splendid one to behold
Default Don't be afraid of competition

Dear fellows be courageous and competitive. Why you are fearing competition, since the matter is still in discussions. Thousands of people availed three chances but couldn't go through and many off the mark on the first attempt.

It is a matter of luck, hard work, courage, determination and competition indeed. So be competitive and have a faith in God. Best of luck

Yasir Khan Durrani is on a distinguished road

hello brothers.

Look at it this way.

A regular person:

Completes his/her Matric at the age of 16;
Completes his/her Intermediate at the age of 18;
Completes his/her Bachelors at the age of 21;
Completes his/her intermediate at the age of 23;

If all goes well for our imaginary CSS aspirant, he would have cleared CSS by the age of 24-25. Add another year for commons training and specialized training. So basically at the age of 25-26, he becomes a Bureaucrat. Now assuming that he goes to a powerful cadre like PSP, DMG, FSP, Income Tax, or Customs. He will be awarded an immense amount of power at a tender age. (while 26 is quite mature age, in relative terms and concerning the scenario in question, it is quite tender) It is most likely that he will abuse his powers. Either in the shape of incorrect dispensation of authority or by getting influenced to take bribes. Since he will be at the helm of affairs and aware of all his nuisance value, he is more likely to fall trap to the vices attached to these jobs and give in to his immature desires more easily. Secondly, he has NO knowledge of the lifestyle of the common man. He cannot envision or relate to the problems of the public as he himself has never led that life in practical terms. As he progresses in life and gets promotions, he will just be like the run of the mill CSP with low level of public understanding, high level of arrogance and even higher level of corrupt values based on rishwat and sifarish.

On the other hand, Imagine a person who has completed his masters and has devoted 4-5 years of his life to his chosen profession. He has had interactions with different people from varying walks of life. He has traveled in public transports and spilled sweat in the same dust as the hundreds and thousands of Pakistanis. due to this he has developed an acute understanding of society and acquired knowledge or the ills plaguing our society, based on which he has made honest opinions. He is not arrogant, nor corrupt and comprehends the problems eating away the very fabric or of society, and he vows to take CSS exams, but not because he wants to become some "Dhansoo Afsar" but a "Humane Servant" and serve his people with honour compassion and justice. He is brave enough to meet injustice in the eye and dispense it with courage.

WHO DO U THINK IS THE IDEAL OFFICER THAT PAKISTAN NEEDS?

friends, it is always a folly to carry an opinion based on self-serving interests. Think larger and THINK about PAKISTAN. Pakistan needs honest, educated, aware and mature individuals in her corridors of power, not spoilt brats who are low of IQ, insecure about their inadequecies and yet think that they are so superior.

This is why I think that this age relaxation is a welcome change, hopefully it will be inducted and brought into practice very soon.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yasir Khan Durrani For This Useful Post:
Invincible (Tuesday, March 08, 2011), Maroof Hussain Chishty (Wednesday, March 09, 2011), MISS SAFINA (Sunday, March 13, 2011), saania Saif (Friday, March 11, 2011)
Old Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Shamoon is on a distinguished road
Default Paradigm Shift!!!!!...............

Thank you all of you who have posted their comments, be it for or against. I really appreciate that you have taken your time out and read out my article with diligence and interest. I am indebted to your obligation.

1- In my opinion it is very imperative that age bar be lifted up to let competent people participate in this exam. Remember the Peter Principle, which says that man is promoted to the level his incompetence. This exam is acting like a filter where only certain level of competence can pass through and rest are filtered out. This is done to fix them in the state machinery to run the government affairs smoothly. If one is capable then why he/she be afraid of competition? Let all competent people enter the arena and then prove your competence. My dear come out of this 'ostrich type' approach, learn how to face trouble. Pakistan need quality not quantity, there is a dearth of cadre whereas crowd is abundant.

2- Those who are worried and concerned about the promotions of the young batch mates to BPS 21 and 22 while some more aged people would be retired and suffer anxiety. I would say, please don't worry and have chill and remember peter principle. Secondly, most retirees go on contract employment on top positions of almost all government organizations because of young officers less experience to run the state affairs. For proof please see the recent SC's verdict for the abolition of contract employees from top posts and see the Establishment division's reply for the case of DG FIA Wasim Ahmed removal. Government refused to depose him immediately because he is overseeing cases of national importance. It shows that there is a dearth of competence in the organization that the department lacks the expertise, which Mr. Wasim Ahmed possesses. He is a retiree but still serving because of his competence, where is age issue now? FPSC Chairman Justice (R) Rana Bhagwandas is also a retiree but still heading the FPSC, where is age issue for him now?

3- If you remember Gen (R) Musharraf had tightened the age limit otherwise it was 30 generally and two years age relaxation for tribal people and 35 years for government employees@ 14 years of education. He did it to suite his vested interested and people are still mesmerized under his spells. There is a grave need for the paradigm shift, we must think out of the box in the greater national interest. Come out of the well and see the ocean is large enough then expectation.

4- Read my previous post for the demand of age bar lifting with the academic criteria change.

Apart of it I have created a group on Facebook and invite all aspirants to join this age relaxation bandwagon.

Facebook: Shamoon Qureshi
Old Wednesday, March 09, 2011
40th CTP (DMG)

Judging political appointees on the basis of merit? Highlights the hollowness of your argument.

Tags
age relaxation