Tuesday, April 16, 2024
03:21 PM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > General > Discussion

Discussion Discuss current affairs and issues helpful in CSS only.

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Wednesday, October 11, 2006
37th Common
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: Diligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason:

Thanked 1,681 Times in 873 Posts
AFRMS has much to be proud ofAFRMS has much to be proud ofAFRMS has much to be proud ofAFRMS has much to be proud ofAFRMS has much to be proud ofAFRMS has much to be proud ofAFRMS has much to be proud ofAFRMS has much to be proud ofAFRMS has much to be proud of
Exclamation westernization/modernization

westernization VS modernization
is there a clash b/w the two, espacially in our society.
where are we headed?
which one we need?
can there exist a balance b/w the two?
afrms
regards
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Medal of AppreciationQualifier: Awarded to those Members who cleared css written examination - Issue reason:

Muskan Ghuman has a spectacular aura aboutMuskan Ghuman has a spectacular aura aboutMuskan Ghuman has a spectacular aura about

Salam,

Westerization is adoption of western culture with all its shortcomings. In our society we are heading towards chaos becoz of this westerization. In the guise of modernity vulgarity has occupied our society. We are unable to comprehend this fact that modernization does not mean westernisation at all. Modernisation is a broader term & Islam itself is modern & there are alot of flexbilities in it beside its prescribed limitations, but the way we have itermingled westernization & modernisation it will prove disastrous, becoz we are going far away from our basics & adoption of a foreign cultre, values & norms & leaving one's own brings severe impacts for any society.

Regards,
Economist In Equilibrium
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: she won the Essay competitionBest Moderator Award: Awarded for censoring all swearing and keeping posts in order. - Issue reason: Best ModMember of the Year: Awarded to those community members who have made invaluable contributions to the Community in the particular year - Issue reason: For the year 2006

Qurratulain has a spectacular aura aboutQurratulain has a spectacular aura aboutQurratulain has a spectacular aura about

Good question for discussion afrms. I wrote on the topic some months back, this essay of mine is also available Here

Modernization OR Westernization…….?

Modernization and Westernization are the two contradictory terms of present times. The contradiction of the terms is diverse in nature, including all the aspects of social life. The restless nature of man always urged him to work for more betterment and such betterment yielded as Modernization, but the geographical, social and religious differences of the different regions of the world aided to comprehend falsely ‘the true essence’ of Modernization. And hence came to happen the battle between ‘modernization’ and ‘westernization’. The battle is plodding towards a dead end with no signs of human welfare. The battle needs a permanent stop before such dead end, in order to maintain the world peace and to secure the social, religious and moral values of people around the world. In this connection there arises the need to differentiate the two terms.

MODERNIZATION:

‘Modernization’ is a term derived from ‘Modernity’, which simply refers to the present. As present is the most important period for an individual or a society, the need of ‘modernization’ claims the same extent of importance. Modernization demands for the up gradation of society.
The concept of modernization is closely related to ‘classical liberalism’. From the societies’ point of view it can also be discussed as ‘social evolutionism’. According to such evolution, the societies evolve from ‘barbarism to the greater levels of development and civilization. The concept of modernization also demands to abstain from ‘un-necessary customs’ or ‘traditions for the sake of traditions’ , as these acts are the greater hindrances in the way of development and civilization.
The scope of ‘modernization’ is quite wide. Commonly the technological progress resulting as improved standard of living, development in educational sector, economy, political stability, social justice, fulfillment of rights on the basis of ‘equality & equity’, and the establishment of a civilization are the most observable variables of modernization. The process of modernization aims to attain a certain level of betterment.

WESTERNIZATION:

The second part of debate is westernization, which refers to the adaptation of western culture in such matters as industry, technology, politics, economics, lifestyle, diet, language, religion and values.
All the building blocks of western culture are different form those of the rest of the world. These differences are not only in understandings of the culture, values and religion, but also in the performance of the same. In such circumstances, the consequences of the adaptation of an alien culture are totally unpredictable.
Undoubtedly the West has attained a marvelous graph of development during last few centuries, which ensured its leadership in world economics and politics. Some of the elements of western circle can be opted, i.e. industry, technology, economics etc. But the acquisition of westernization in its totality is harmful for any society.

THE CONFLICT:

The main conflict arises when one typically observes the modernization of the western society only. Westerns being truly modern (in industrial, technological and economic context) argue that all others are primitive or unevolved by comparison. And the unmodernized (technologically) societies suffer from inferiority complex. So the unmodernized societies endeavour to follow the modernization of western societies, in order to attain the equal level of modernity. Here these unmodernized societies misconcept the true essence of ‘modernization’. For such unmodernized societies, the west is modernized so if they follow the trends set by west in all contexts, they will attain the same level development. Now these misconceptions are found at both individual and group level. The first determinant of the conflict is lack of counseling and generation gap. Secondly the role of media in the promotion of western values. Thirdly absence of the delivery of true concepts. And the youth is facing this dilemma more than any other age group.

SITUATION IN PAKISTAN:

Pakistan has been facing a list of social dilemmas from its very inception. The early dilemmas were internal in nature, but the dilemma of ‘modernization or westernization’ is the biggest of all and is external in nature. In this regard ‘media’ especially electronic media holds the sole responsibility. From a T.V commercial to a complex social problem, presentation of ‘western thought’ is considered to be most appreciable act. No doubt media has played tremendous role to bring up the social problems in the notice of respective authorities, and some of the problems are being solved also. But the part media plays on the name of ‘entertainment’ is in dire need of consideration of state. Promotion of western values to entertain our people yields as the acquisition of such values by them, forgetting their own.

REMEDIES:

Modernization is not the blind fellowship of another social setup; instead it is the self designed plan of a society. The self designed plan needs to be formulated in such a way that the ‘individuality’ of that particular society should be maintained. The individuality of the society depends on its cultural, social and religious values. The process of modernization needs an authentic planning with close monitoring. Abstaining from un-necessary customs is good, but abandoning the real values of the society is harmful. It’s the duty of the state and social leaders to ensure a balanced modernization by differentiating it from westernization.

Regards,
Old Thursday, October 12, 2006
sara_khan

Default Simplification!

AoA,
I dont think its as complicated an issue.Just think whats modern and whats western is the key to debate.Modern is what fixes the present and the western is what villifies western values.The difference is what might be modernity for the westerners might be vulgarity for the easterners and vice versa.The solution...yes...Common sense, whatever you are bestowed with.
To maKE IT MORE CLEAR,East is not all Islam,neither all west equally modern.Both equally lack all essence of a perfect conflict on a perfect level-ground.Hence no conflict at all.
Nevatheless,if you want such a stuff,then,believe that both westernization and modernization have one aim and that is the exploration further of the natural secrets.And if you can safeguard your regional or national identity in such an atmosphere then obey logic....its sure to get you to the eternal secerets of Nature for the maximum benefit of humanity,be it western or modern exploration...
Topic seems but mundane,but the essence seems indeed of humane
Maa salam
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

I M Possible will become famous soon enough

We need to moderanize but not westernize anyway. Both are quite different concepts as elucidated by Qurat and Muskan.

Regards

Najabat is on a distinguished road

The piece of post written by honorable Qurrat is quite comprehensive and seems quite realistic but just as an increment I like to mention here that modernization focuses over attaining a certain level of living up with latest trends and standards.On contrary Westernization is just adoption of Western culture and values.If we talk about todays Western world its not only on high values by technology,economics and trade only but their commitment to work,honesty and truth loving nature are also good features that we ignore usually.As i learn from above posts...Remember for a gr8 building u have a solid foundation.For a good properous country ur commitment to hardwork,stickeness to truth and honesty are key features.We blame so easily western values but friends do u ever think they work over principles of Islam more than us.I acknowledge that Western society is blank from inside since they ignore moral and ethical values during process of improvement but still they r less corrupt than us,less liars,and also more dedicated for a good life practice.The major flaw of western society is continuously degrading social norms...Family structure is destroyed there,Vulgarity is no more sin there.
Unfortunately we adopt modernization under umbrella of Westernization social structure, just follow wht they dress,how does they follow their nafsani wishes....but what we ignore, is their good qualities which makes them a difference...Our religion guide us!
1)Never tell a lie! Do we follow,I found Western people more truthful!So don't go for westernization but for implementing wht said 1400 years ago by Allah's Prophet.
2)A person gets what he strive for! what we r striving for? i know most just for money.Is it purpose of education.No, not at all!How many research organizations are their for research in contrast to Europe.Can u imagine UET Lahore in 50 years just produced 3 Phds.
And many things we can adopt but keep in mind they are not western thoughts but they implement what we can only think as a muslim.
Bottom Line:So in a nutshell i can say we can have a balance between two but only torch for that is Islam's teaching.Under islam's practices we can easily predict where we are heading and where we need to improve!!

Best Regards,

Last edited by Najabat; Thursday, October 12, 2006 at 11:27 AM.
37th Common
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: Diligent Service Medal: Awarded upon completion of 5 years of dedicated services and contribution to the community. - Issue reason:

AFRMS has much to be proud ofAFRMS has much to be proud ofAFRMS has much to be proud ofAFRMS has much to be proud ofAFRMS has much to be proud ofAFRMS has much to be proud ofAFRMS has much to be proud ofAFRMS has much to be proud ofAFRMS has much to be proud of
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara_khan
AoA,
I dont think its as complicated an issue.Just think whats modern and whats western is the key to debate.Modern is what fixes the present and the western is what villifies western values.The difference is what might be modernity for the westerners might be vulgarity for the easterners and vice versa.The solution...yes...Common sense, whatever you are bestowed with.
To maKE IT MORE CLEAR,East is not all Islam,neither all west equally modern.Both equally lack all essence of a perfect conflict on a perfect level-ground.Hence no conflict at all.
Nevatheless,if you want such a stuff,then,believe that both westernization and modernization have one aim and that is the exploration further of the natural secrets.And if you can safeguard your regional or national identity in such an atmosphere then obey logic....its sure to get you to the eternal secerets of Nature for the maximum benefit of humanity,be it western or modern exploration...
Topic seems but mundane,but the essence seems indeed of humane
Maa salam
salam
agreed to u but common sense is not so common these days.people are brain washed by media.if they see western trends they will follow it without thinking.
for exploration of natural secrets we need not to turn to western approach.
in islam it is clearly said that discover whats out there. i am talking about those western trends that are destroying out basic moral values.we are actually adopting them.what will be our society like in 25years from now??
i mean the way the current shift is going towards western ideas.
i wish there was no conflict at all.but there is and we must talk about it.
actually the problem is that we are so immuned towards western approach now, that we think every thing is ok.to follow western ideas is to move away from islam.coz even the latest research in west is under strom from their religious scholars .how will it help us.?????
regards
37th Common

salam
westernization /modernization

the two terms are totally different,but unfortunately in our society both are thought to be same.
the problem lies in our thinking and actions.
if our country was on the road to modernization than it would be great but the dilemma is that we are actually headed towards

westernization.
it means we are literally killing the great easternization,our culture and our identity.
to me modernization is what we need.the reason 4 this is that if we have modern infrastructure in every field than our country

can progress.we need modren educational system with all the latest facilities to improve our standards.we need to modernize

our transport,roads,defence,health sector etc............
why we confuse the two terms.westernization as the name suggests is to absorbe the western ideas and culture into our

culture.there is a clash b/w east and west.espacially when in an islamic state the concept of westernization takes place it is a

total fiasco.
like we are slowly adopting the old thrown out ideas of west into our lives.our society is confused or this westernization is

actually making us leave the basic principles of islam.as we move away from islam we are growing closer to western ideas.our

life style is changed,no repect for women,relationships like tissue papers,old parents in old homes,our banking systemetc............
while we need to improve every sector of our life that is to make it modern.
modernization is actually improving the old system making modification with time for the benefit of people.like in malasiya people are modern yet at the same time religious.
why cant we do the same.
regards.
Old Friday, October 13, 2006

Enlightened is on a distinguished road

Salam to all,

Westernization and modernization are not the same thing. There are so many issues in western society that we dont. I think that would make us more modern. However, we have so many issues that west has eliminated in their society. In fact, modernization means to adopt or to change for the sole purpose of improvement. By definition, it’s a progressive system and therefore not completed in either society. Therefore, we can consider one to be modern over the other based on certain elements. However, I think we can’t generalize because West has some issues that we don’t and vice versa.

I believe society is set in two ways. 1) One where behaviour controls society like west. No doubt they have profitable economic system but then there are a lot of bad things about such system. I like their education system but there is no moral education in it. They are very advanced in technology and numerous other good and bad qualities.

2)Second one where society controls behavior like ours. However, our youth has deviated from the teachings of our society. Due to globalization and media’s role, our youth has started to adopt some features of the west because it appeal to us and feel right for various reasons. Here we forget that what feels right is not necessarily always right if taken in large context where we consider balance of society.

There are good and bad things about both societies. What should happen is we learn good things from west and they learn good things from us. What must not happen is any of the two societies impose itself on the other. Then we will definitely have a clash. It has to be passive approach to preach our admirable qualities and let each other see to adopt and reject as they wish.

I personally think that there are some elements in global affairs that do point towards a clash or imminent clash unless we realize these issues beforehand. For example, desire to capture oil resource to meet America’s energy needs, to change books in muslim world so it won’t produce terrorist or call muslim countries to be terrorist states. On the other hand what good is organizations like Al Qaeda doing in our society by killing innocent people of the west.

Now, if you consider this issue from political and economical perspective, it becomes even more complicated. I think that would be a good topic for another thread and the question should be: Is it possible for West and East to share economical, technological and social assets for improvement of over all humanity out of their generosity and no personal intentions of economical or technological gains? Please consider all economical, political and technological aspects to answer this question. Please don't hesitate to reword this topic to be more precise and logical.
Old Friday, October 13, 2006

M.A.N will become famous soon enough

@Qurrat

Excellent Job at http://qurratulain.wordpress.com/

Bravo......