Thursday, April 25, 2024
07:30 PM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > General > Discussion

Discussion Discuss current affairs and issues helpful in CSS only.

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Monday, December 12, 2011

camran will become famous soon enough
Default Local Government Status

Folks please contribute in this thread

In Balochistan: Commissioner System Restored

In KPK: Commissioner System Restored [Please correct if wrong]

In Sindh: Consultations going on; right now Commissionar System is there [Please correct if wrong]

In Punjab: Adopted LG after some amendments [Can any member post any link to see the changes they have made in Local Government and Police Order 2002]

Please correct if wrong
37th Common
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CSS 2008 Roll no.: 4323Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Red.Hawk has a spectacular aura aboutRed.Hawk has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by camran View Post
Folks please contribute in this thread

In Balochistan: Commissioner System Restored

In KPK: Commissioner System Restored [Please correct if wrong]

In Sindh: Consultations going on; right now Commissionar System is there [Please correct if wrong]

In Punjab: Adopted LG after some amendments [Can any member post any link to see the changes they have made in Local Government and Police Order 2002]

Please correct if wrong
Islamabad...Commissionerate system

Balochistan...Commissionerate System

Gilgit/Baltistan....Commissionerate System

AJK...Commissionerate System

Sindh....Commissionerate System, yes discussion is on but PPP,PML (F),ANP and all other sindhi parties are favouring the commissionerate system and MQM is asking for the LGO-2001 type system only in Karachi and Hydersabad and most probably this system is going to stay for now onwards because PPP initially reverted to old system to get MQM back in coilition and now after restoring commissionerate system they have engaged MQM into dialogue untill next eections would come and new colition would see that what should be done about this issue...but except MQM all parties from sindh favor commissionerate system

Punjab...The designation of Assistant Commissioner (AC) has been restored but 1st Class Magistracy powers have not been restored yet but 2 amendments are waiting to be put before the punjab cabinet to do the above amendment and Home Deptt of Punjab would empower the ACs with the powers of 1st class magistrat as well...until now the designation of EDO(R) has been abolished and DO (R) has been substituted by the designation of Additional District Collector (ADC)...DCO has become the executive administrative head of the district, replacing Zila Nazim. At Tehsil Level AC is the administrator of the Town Muncipal Administration (TMA), replacing Tehsil Nazim. The designation of Commissioner has also been restored he is the Administrative head of the Divisions and he also hears the Revenue appeals against the decisions made by the
courts of ADCs of the districts in Revenue matters.

KPK....has commissionerate system in Malakand division...ACOs have judicial magistrat powers but rest of KPK is still with devolution plan but KPK Govt has announced that they are going to restore commissionerate system very soon and they will raise the issue in the upcoming meeting of council of common interests
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Red.Hawk For This Useful Post:
aqeelcommerce (Monday, December 12, 2011), camran (Monday, December 12, 2011), Kamran Chaudhary (Tuesday, December 13, 2011), Muhammad T S Awan (Tuesday, December 13, 2011), SADIA SHAFIQ (Monday, December 12, 2011), Shooting Star (Monday, December 12, 2011), Suman (Tuesday, December 13, 2011)
40th CTP (IRS)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Merit 58

soloflyer has a spectacular aura aboutsoloflyer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Hawk View Post
Islamabad...Commissionerate system

Balochistan...Commissionerate System

Gilgit/Baltistan....Commissionerate System

AJK...Commissionerate System

Sindh....Commissionerate System, yes discussion is on but PPP,PML (F),ANP and all other sindhi parties are favouring the commissionerate system and MQM is asking for the LGO-2001 type system only in Karachi and Hydersabad and most probably this system is going to stay for now onwards because PPP initially reverted to old system to get MQM back in coilition and now after restoring commissionerate system they have engaged MQM into dialogue untill next eections would come and new colition would see that what should be done about this issue...but except MQM all parties from sindh favor commissionerate system

Punjab...The designation of Assistant Commissioner (AC) has been restored but 1st Class Magistracy powers have not been restored yet but 2 amendments are waiting to be put before the punjab cabinet to do the above amendment and Home Deptt of Punjab would empower the ACs with the powers of 1st class magistrat as well...until now the designation of EDO(R) has been abolished and DO (R) has been substituted by the designation of Additional District Collector (ADC)...DCO has become the executive administrative head of the district, replacing Zila Nazim. At Tehsil Level AC is the administrator of the Town Muncipal Administration (TMA), replacing Tehsil Nazim. The designation of Commissioner has also been restored he is the Administrative head of the Divisions and he also hears the Revenue appeals against the decisions made by the
courts of ADCs of the districts in Revenue matters.

KPK....has commissionerate system in Malakand division...ACOs have judicial magistrat powers but rest of KPK is still with devolution plan but KPK Govt has announced that they are going to restore commissionerate system very soon and they will raise the issue in the upcoming meeting of council of common interests

@ redhawk

sir , if i am correct then you are also serving in the DMG group. I would like to ask you some questions. but before that I want to tell you that my first preference is also DMG and I would love to join this service.

my question pertains to the local government system. i personally feel that for effective local governance the zila nazim can play an effective role. since he will be the guy who has been selected locally by the people, he knows the problems of the people and the people will also feel at ease with him. moreover the zila nazim has to be selected by the people so automatic check and balance situation will arise , because the nazim will know that for re-election he has to perform. so which road has to be made or which street need lightning can be decided by the nazim. whereas the regulatory functions like tax collection , anti- encroachment policies or tackling the land mafia can be under the purview of a D.C.

what I mean is that the system can run efficiently if the nazim and the D.C perform their duties side by side. still I would want that instead of the Nazim being the head of a district , maybe he can be side by side with the D.C.O and there should be specific demarcation of responsibilities for the two people.

would to love have your comments on this.. that whether a D.c should run the district on his own or there should be a zila nazim too. and if there should be a zila nazim should he be heading the district or he should be working in tandem with the D.C

regards
37th Common
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CSS 2008 Roll no.: 4323Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

I agree with you...Nazim should be there and ofcourse Nazim will have to be the head of the district because a nazim will never agree to wotk in tandem with DC/DCO .....LGO-2001 was very good on paper if that had been implemented in true letter n spirit...the reality was very different as compared to the text in LGO...Nazim tried to play politics with DCO n DPO ...Nazim was not under provincial Govt...so he dint pay a heed towards Provincial Govt's directions...Moreover DCO n DPO became confused between provincial govt and Nazums.....I think if democracy prevails in the country for next 20-25 years then democracy would be mature enough and i think then Lgo System can be a success...till then as a nation we have to build our democratic attitudes...BUT NO DOUBT GOVERNMENT THROUGH ELECTED REPRESENTATIVES is a good idea BUT there must be check n balance on their performance as well.

1st Class Magistracy powers should be their with the Distt Govt whetger there is LGO system or not coz cases like ptice control,RTA issues,encrochments,adulteration in eatables, Revenue collection, maintenance of G law n.order can b ensured smoothly with these powers...this doesnt adds executive with judiciary it is just to enforce local laws effectively
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Red.Hawk For This Useful Post:
nadem (Monday, December 12, 2011), SADIA SHAFIQ (Wednesday, December 14, 2011), sana_krn (Tuesday, December 13, 2011), Suman (Tuesday, December 13, 2011)
29th CTP, 3rd (PSP)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2000 - Merit 3rdMedal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

nadem will become famous soon enough

Another problem was Nazims were targetting their political opponents...ACRs of DPO n DCO were initially given to Nazims and they tried to misuse it by insisting the DPO to lodge false FIRs against his political opponenta and used to ask the DCO to do development work in the area where Nazim supporters were there and no wotk for opponents...awarding development projects contracts to people of his own choice because there was nothing like ACR for Nazim

If Nazim had to keep for his future elections bt DCO n DPO are more concerned about their progress n performance in the distric...so that good ACRs ensure good promotions n career path...and DCO/DPO cannot dare to indulge in.big corruptions scam because of anti corruption and agencies working around them and they have fear of losing job.

I agree that right now our political culture do not allow this Nazim concept...at the.moment we need to develop good democratic system and have to establiah ways to scrutinize Nazim actions/ steps too
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nadem For This Useful Post:
sana_krn (Tuesday, December 13, 2011), Suman (Tuesday, December 13, 2011)
Old Tuesday, December 13, 2011

sana_krn has a spectacular aura aboutsana_krn has a spectacular aura about

actually concept of separation of powers was missing in LG system so this system failed no one knows where LG's power starts and from where provincial govt.'s jurisdiction starts, who will sort out the problems and issues faced by general public nazim? MPA?MNA? n all were getting pays from govt along with other facilities.
29th CTP, 3rd (PSP)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2000 - Merit 3rdMedal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

nadem will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sana_krn View Post
actually concept of separation of powers was missing in LG system so this system failed no one knows where LG's power starts and from where provincial govt.'s jurisdiction starts, who will sort out the problems and issues faced by general public nazim? MPA?MNA? n all were getting pays from govt along with other facilities.
This is Bulls eye CORRECT...its a confused system in practical...it was a Copy/paste LG system of JAPAN...the societies and ground realities in both countries are v different....
being a Police Officer I myself am in favor of the Commissionerate system...we give examples of India when we talk about democracy and when we talk about Commissionerate system, we say dat its a system by "Goras" then why India is still stickibg with the system??? n there DC is called DM (Diistrict Magistrat) and he is an ICS Officer...for police it is v easy to coordinate n cooperate with DC/DCO rather than Nazim or Judges...Judges come under High Court and Nazil comes under no one...where District Admin n DPO n police staff comes under Punjab Govt...there is confusion all around...I think we must revert to 13-08-2001 system as soon as possible...(These are my personal viewsfter experiencing the ground realities, others may disagree)
The Following User Says Thank You to nadem For This Useful Post:
Muhammad T S Awan (Tuesday, December 13, 2011)
40th CTP (IRS)
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2011 - Merit 58

Quote:
I agree with you...Nazim should be there and ofcourse Nazim will have to be the head of the district because a nazim will never agree to wotk in tandem with DC/DCO .....LGO-2001 was very good on paper if that had been implemented in true letter n spirit...the reality was very different as compared to the text in LGO...Nazim tried to play politics with DCO n DPO ...Nazim was not under provincial Govt...so he dint pay a heed towards Provincial Govt's directions...Moreover DCO n DPO became confused between provincial govt and Nazums.....I think if democracy prevails in the country for next 20-25 years then democracy would be mature enough and i think then Lgo System can be a success...till then as a nation we have to build our democratic attitudes...BUT NO DOUBT GOVERNMENT THROUGH ELECTED REPRESENTATIVES is a good idea BUT there must be check n balance on their performance as well.

1st Class Magistracy powers should be their with the Distt Govt whetger there is LGO system or not coz cases like ptice control,RTA issues,encrochments,adulteration in eatables, Revenue collection, maintenance of G law n.order can b ensured smoothly with these powers...this doesnt adds executive with judiciary it is just to enforce local laws effectively

yes sir you are right ..the magistracy powers should be with the DC, and the problem with LGO was that it was not clear that who was heading the magistracy, although the ex-commissioner's power of magistracy were taken from him but no other person was made in charge of it . in any case these powers cannot be with an elected representative , since he will be under too much pressure of the people and he cannot make wise decisions, and if he succumbs to pressure of the people then he will take impartial decisions.

i read somewhere " imagine if you have to write a will and instead of transferring your wealth to your children you decide to transfer it to your grandchildren, then how would your children feel? " this i think was the main problem with the LGO ,since the provincial government was left out of the loop and its main aim was to offset the value of provincial governments.

those who say that under LGO , the DC has to report to a NAZIM , must know that if DC reports to chief secretary then secretary reports to CM. CM who is elected by MPAs and then MPAs are elected by people. so in the end the power belongs to the people. whether it is through the indirect loop or the direct loop.

I would want some more elaboration from your side against the LGO system. It should be against the system and not against the nazims. because if the people are corrupt then no matter what the system is , the people will always find a way to do corruption.

the reason I am asking for your guidance is because you are in the field and you know about the pros and cons of both the systems

thanks again sir..

regards
The Following User Says Thank You to soloflyer For This Useful Post:
SADIA SHAFIQ (Tuesday, December 13, 2011)
37th Common

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloflyer View Post

those who say that under LGO , the DC has to report to a NAZIM , must know that if DC reports to chief secretary then secretary reports to CM. CM who is elected by MPAs and then MPAs are elected by people. so in the end the power belongs to the people. whether it is through the indirect loop or the direct loop.

I would want some more elaboration from your side against the LGO system. It should be against the system and not against the nazims. because if the people are corrupt then no matter what the system is , the people will always find a way to do corruption.
Well, the problem here in Pakistan is that who so ever gets power misuses it...When the power was given to the elected representatives, they used that against their political opponents and the added problem is that they had no interest in the matters except to be re-elected, they looked to benefit the people who are from his party or who are his supporter...Now he was the head of the district, whenever there was a problem in the district when Punjab Govt tried to contact him, he was not available because he was NOT AN EMPLOYEE OF THE PROVINCIAL GOVT and practically Provincial Govt could not have done anything against him, in such scenario what was the role of the provincial Govt??? Just to pass laws??? and head the secretariat? and when it came to the implementations of the instructions of the secretaries of the different provincial departments; the Nazims again were non cooperative and in some cases say big NO to follow the instructions.

What people think, are the MPAs and MNAs not the elected representatives of the public? dont they have a specific area (constuency) to whose people they are answerable when they will again go to public for votes? every MPA/MNA is given millions of rupees as developemnt budget to spend it in his constuency...whatever development work they need in their constuency, they can have it done through CM and if they say that CM doesnt listen to them, then its their political problem NOT the problem in the system

In earlier days, whenever there was an emergency situation in the distt, DC was contacted, being the administrative head of the distt, he was responsible for whatever happened in the distt...In new system the dimensions or the scope of duties of DCO & DPO regarding maintenance of law n order are vague...

Everyone/every politician is seen condemning Musharaf on all his decisions but when it comes to LGO, they say it is that n that system....it is just like to get a tuition of physics from a teacher of english...when his way of getting power was illegal (in real sense, although he had got that validated from this very CJ) then how come his LGO which was NOT PASSED BY ANY ELECTED BODY/ASSEMBLY can be right...The Government should do onething...it should take the LGO matter in all provincial Governments and IF any of the provincial assembly approves the bill, that province must adopt this system otherwise that should be scrapped because this system did not come into existence by legal ways....

Today thousands of cases are pending in civil courts which are of trivial nature....Had there been Magistracy those cases had never been piled up...the nature of the cases include of minor thefts etc

In short the system had been seriously messed up...now there are bright chances of it being restored but lets see what these political masters do
The Following User Says Thank You to Red.Hawk For This Useful Post:
SADIA SHAFIQ (Wednesday, December 14, 2011)
40th CTP (IRS)

Quote:
Well, the problem here in Pakistan is that who so ever gets power misuses it...When the power was given to the elected representatives, they used that against their political opponents and the added problem is that they had no interest in the matters except to be re-elected, they looked to benefit the people who are from his party or who are his supporter...Now he was the head of the district, whenever there was a problem in the district when Punjab Govt tried to contact him, he was not available because he was NOT AN EMPLOYEE OF THE PROVINCIAL GOVT and practically Provincial Govt could not have done anything against him, in such scenario what was the role of the provincial Govt??? Just to pass laws??? and head the secretariat? and when it came to the implementations of the instructions of the secretaries of the different provincial departments; the Nazims again were non cooperative and in some cases say big NO to follow the instructions.

What people think, are the MPAs and MNAs not the elected representatives of the public? dont they have a specific area (constuency) to whose people they are answerable when they will again go to public for votes? every MPA/MNA is given millions of rupees as developemnt budget to spend it in his constuency...whatever development work they need in their constuency, they can have it done through CM and if they say that CM doesnt listen to them, then its their political problem NOT the problem in the system

In earlier days, whenever there was an emergency situation in the distt, DC was contacted, being the administrative head of the distt, he was responsible for whatever happened in the distt...In new system the dimensions or the scope of duties of DCO & DPO regarding maintenance of law n order are vague...

Everyone/every politician is seen condemning Musharaf on all his decisions but when it comes to LGO, they say it is that n that system....it is just like to get a tuition of physics from a teacher of english...when his way of getting power was illegal (in real sense, although he had got that validated from this very CJ) then how come his LGO which was NOT PASSED BY ANY ELECTED BODY/ASSEMBLY can be right...The Government should do onething...it should take the LGO matter in all provincial Governments and IF any of the provincial assembly approves the bill, that province must adopt this system otherwise that should be scrapped because this system did not come into existence by legal ways....

Today thousands of cases are pending in civil courts which are of trivial nature....Had there been Magistracy those cases had never been piled up...the nature of the cases include of minor thefts etc

In short the system had been seriously messed up...now there are bright chances of it being restored but lets see what these political masters do
point taken sir ...thanks for such a detailed reply ...actually the arguments that you made against this system are of great help to me . since i wanted to hear someone speaking against it ...
thanks a lot sir..
regards