Tuesday, April 23, 2024
05:09 PM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > General > Discussion

Discussion Discuss current affairs and issues helpful in CSS only.

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Friday, February 02, 2007

Nedian is on a distinguished road
Post From Hot lines to Barb Wires.

From Hot lines to Barb Wires.

The discussions are being held in upper echelons of Pakistan about the fencing and mining of the Durand line. But, would it be feasible and acceptable to common masses. Let’s analyze the situation.

Brief History.

Pakistan and Afghanistan had been on logger’s head since the partition of Pakistan, when Afghanistan being the first country to oppose Pakistan’s entry into UNO. Both countries had lukewarm relations till 1979. During the 1979 war Pakistan was on the forefront and helped America to achieve its interests in the region. From the Pakistan side the Pashutuns, who had brethren relations with Afghanis helped the America to bring the USSR on its knees by destroying USSR’s hegemony in the region.

During 1979 war millions of Pashtuns refugees came to Pakistan. Today they have become part of Pakistani community and have married the Pakistani pashtuns. These people have been living in Pakistan for more than 20 years.

Even though, when Taliban were ruling the Afghanistan, Pakistan had amicable relations with Taliban Govt. And Pakistan was the first country to recognize Afghanistan at the UNO and fought for its membership. But, it was after 9/11 that Pakistan took U-Turn in its foreign Policy towards Afghanistan. Which alienated the Afghans as well as local Pashtuns in the region.

Present situation.

Today the Pakistan has to fight its past legacy, when it used to support Pashtuns in Afghanistan. But, that support can be justified because India at that time was busy in supporting non-pashtuns in the region. Therefore, it was necessary for Pakistan to support Pashtuns to balance the equation of Power in the region.

Today, Mr. Hamid Karzai, the president of Afghanistan, whose writ is confined to his capital, Kabul, is constantly blaming Pakistan for the insurgency in Afghanistan. The recent ICGS (International Crisis Group Study) and USA secretary Condoleeza Rice has also blamed Pakistan, according to them the terrorists have made safe havens in the Tribal Areas, NWFP and some areas of Balochistan.

After listening to all these blames Pakistan has decided to fence or mine the Durand line. It looks that Pakistan has got tired of these baseless blames; therefore, it has decided to settle the dispute permanently through fencing or mining the border. But would it work?

1. Afghanistan is Land Locked Country:- Afghanistan is the land locked country. It has no transport facility or sea route except from Pakistan’s side, and it has different transport deals with Pakistan, as well. That is y Mr. Hamid Karzai, who is strong rival of Pakistan Govt, is reluctant to fence or mine the border.

2. The Porous Border:- The Durand line is a porous border and it would be extremely difficult to set a mines field in the region or wholly fence it.

3. Ethnic and Brethren Relationships; - The both sides of border have Ethnic similarity as well as their long stay in Pakistan and inter marriages has increased their fraternity and loyalty to each other.

4. Mines can be detrimental;- If Pakistan Govt is deciding to mine the border then it should be kept in mind that it would be highly dangerous to those living near the border, because these mines can harm them easily.

5. Other International Borders; - Pakistan can take the Example of American-Mexico Border or even Pakistan-India Border. These both borders are fenced but it is well known fact that people cross them easily; therefore fencing would not be a feasible option as well.

So, we can say that this dispute cannot be solved through fencing or Mining the Border, but it must be settled through the diplomatic talks or through Grand Jirgas, which is traditionally respected by the Afghanis as well as Pashutns from Pakistan.

Pakistan is doing well and it has already captured hundreds of Taliban and Al-Quaida members and handed them to Washington. However, due to its strict measures against Taliban, Al-Quaida and their operatives, it has been facing the menace of terrorism at home, after all this, if USA is not satisfied then it should force NATO to take the responsibility of infiltration and ask Hamid Karzai to put his house in order. Because, Pakistan has no desire to be the escape goat for the follies of others.

Well, all members are earnestly requested to post their views.

Regards

Nedian
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

I M Possible will become famous soon enough

Talibans are a serius threat to Pakistan. They are accountable for the imbalance in Pakistan's society. We are fighting against our own peopl in Waziristan, Wanna, Balochistan and many other places just because we have to get the Talibans from these places. It is an issue which need to be pondered seriously on government level. If our government fails to hit the bull's eye then this issue need to be raised on international platform.

Pakistan is paying a high price to fight against the terrorists, it is an open truth. Then why world is not paying heed to the troubles that we are facing in return of becoming an ally in War on Terror. They really need to put their hands in ours to help us out to resolve the burning issues of fencing durand line and many others.

Karzai government is not taking our good will for Afghanistan seriously. It is true to bits that Pakistan is doing a lot for Afghanistan but in return Afghanistan is just throwing us badly. This is very unfair. We are not in critical conditoin, if we are doing something for them then it is just for their sake.

They can only resolve the issue of Durand line if they can't do anything else. I tell u, if they succeeded to resolve this troublesome issue then we would be able to have an upper hand on Taliban and many other terror generating communities in Pakistan.

Regards,
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6323339.stm
Old Saturday, February 03, 2007

amjad777 is on a distinguished road

AoA,

You started good discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedian

During 1979 war millions of Pashtuns refugees came to Pakistan. Today they have become part of Pakistani community and have married the Pakistani pashtuns. These people have been living in Pakistan for more than 20 years.

Now see that we are also poor country, we can feed our own people well, with huge poverty and un-employment.

What is your openion of sending Afghan refugees back??? Keeping in view that they are responsible for creating a lot of social and economic evils in Pakistan.

Now Afghanistan is independent state and now they started showing us eyes. I think its time now to send all Afghans back to their homeland.

Pakistan will be able to spend alot of money on its citizen and security situation will be improved. This will have dual impact like more employmen and economic activities with reduction of crimes and boosting of local economy.

Please comment

AA

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness".
"Achieve excellence to become a dear or dire of the world"
"Failure is the world, don't known to me"

Quote:
What is your openion of sending Afghan refugees back??? Keeping in view that they are responsible for creating a lot of social and economic evils in Pakistan.
They need to be send back. Why we should keep them in our country? We already have bear the trouble of keeping them here with us for a long span. We provide them space to live in becaue their own land was in trouble. But now things are going well in their country so they should go back.

Well we could have keep them for some more years if they want to ameliorate over here but the very issue is that Karzai is not keeping good relations with us. He is blaming us for unnecessary rationales.

Regards,

Nedian is on a distinguished road

So sweet of u that u people responded so quickly.

I’m totally agree with u IM possible & Amjad that Taliban have grown a serous trouble for Pakistan and this cancer should be tackled soon. And the issue of refugees must be resolved as soon as possible to get rid of mischievous elements from this Land.

For that Pakistan Govt has already started it program for new NICs for the refugees. But, it looks that some elements in the Govt themselves don’t pay heed to the issue seriously, and no strict efforts have been taken so far. However, to stop the cross border infiltration Pakistan has also setup a Biometric system on its border, but it has also bore the same destiny like new NICs.

As I already quoted in my last post that Pakistan has done a lot to tackle the problem, its efficiency is much greater than that of NATO and ISAF forces.
But, the consistent blames of insurgency over Pakistan, has added fuel to fire and President is reluctant to fence the border so that Pakistan could be saved from becoming escape goat for the inefficiency of others.

And I’m 100% agree with Mr. President when he said “The battle was in Afghanistan and not here (Pakistan)”.

Because whatever Pakistan did it was a gesture of good will but Afghanistan took it their inherent right to force Pakistan to do more. If karzai is serious to settle the problem then he must keep his head cool, calm and collected so that any viable settlement can be achieved.

Regards

Nedian

thanks for further elaborating my point by I M P and Nedian.

What our government is doing? Afghan refugees has NADRA's NIC, and even more than 5000 -10000 afghan refugees performed HAJJ on new NIC and Passports. Enquiry is started that how it happend (but only on papers). How, this issues of repatriation of refugee will be solved? Our government should take bold steps and should give them deadline to leave the country. Although, policy has been issued that registration process will soon be started again and no refugee will be allowed to have work permit. But, see whats the reality?? In NWFP especially, Afghan refugees are owning major share of business. Most of shops are rented by them, just because of higt rent and advance payment by them to owner. The introduced KLASHANKOOF culture with herion and other norcotics. They took us to this place of misery. They took us to no where in this world. Now although we remained their saviour till now, but what they are doing from both sides (in Pakistan and Afghanistan). Discuss the repatriation issue with Afghan refugee then you will feel what they are saying, belive me they don't even bother to say that Pakistan will have to bear the cost for that. We will never left Pakistan, why you don't left Pakistan etc.....

These are the statements.

Now our government should take firm step and compell the to leave the country immediately with clear deadline. We can't bear their burdon any more, they are really burdon on us, because we were/are thinked/thinking that they are our brothers, but what they are doing??? Its the limit and they cross the limits.

Hope that we will soon be free from the evil of these refugees.....

Best

AA

You guys are welcome.
Old Sunday, February 04, 2007
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Qualifier: Awarded to those Members who cleared css written examination - Issue reason:

prieti has a spectacular aura aboutprieti has a spectacular aura aboutprieti has a spectacular aura about

i totally agree with i m p and amjad. they are correct wid their justifications.these afghanis are a serious threat to the safety,security and well-being of our motherland. pakistan is already facing a lot of social problems especially poverty and illiteracy. in these circumstances the presence of these people is a havoc. they should be immediately sent back to their country. they hav no right to live in our country when they are having their own. (i think i hav been too harsh but its natural i am a true patriot). so to conclude i would just say that all the afghanis should be propelled back to afghanistan and the durand line should be fenced as early as possible.
regards

A Man Would Do Nothing,
If He Waited Until He
Could Do It So Well
That No One Would Find Fault
With What He Has Done.
Old Sunday, February 04, 2007

@ Prieti,

Yes we should have to patriot and should love Pakistan as one can. Your statements are not harsh, but true feelings that reflects rather harsh realities. It will have to be done, if not now then later on in the future. So why not now? I think governmet has started taking it 10% seriously and even Sindh PM issues statement of expelling all aliens from Sindh including Afghan refugees.

Lets hope for the best and prosperity for margnalized community of Pakistan because of these refugees.

Thanks for your favour.