Wednesday, April 24, 2024
10:41 AM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > General > Discussion

Discussion Discuss current affairs and issues helpful in CSS only.

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Asi01 will become famous soon enoughAsi01 will become famous soon enough
Default A True Story of a CSS officer's resignation.

A True Story of a CSS officer's resignation.
Source (The News)

Besides the famous ex-foreign minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi, who resigned over the Raymond Davis affair, there was a silent officer in the Foreign Service as well, with a conscience, who also quit in protest but was never heard of.
In eight years, he joined three services, all through competitive exams but his conscience pulled him out of them each time, the latest being the Foreign Service from which he resigned in protest against the release of Raymond Davis, a CIA contractor charged with killing of three Pakistanis.
Adnan Randhawa is a restless soul, not ready to reconcile with the decline of the civil service where hypocrisy reigns supreme, corruption as well as deception is rampant, and dissenting views are killed with a stroke of pen. Now this disillusioned youth has quietly started law practice in the district court of Islamabad, saying good-bye to government service.
Neither could he make headlines like Shah Mehmood Qureshi who apparently had resigned 'only' over Raymond Davis case nor was this his first resignation in life, and has joined the list of the country's unsung heroes.
An interview with him gives a rare insight into the working of Foreign Office, the country's 'cozy' relations with China, and Pakistan's sheepish attitude towards the US. All he says is dictated by his personal experiences and observation.
"I understand the Foreign Ministry has scored the highest marks in moral bankruptcy. It is polluted with the officers who would not think for a while compromising on national issues and only for petty gains," he said in a two-page resignation letter after Raymond's release.
In hand-written Urdu, the resignation letter reflects on his nationalistic perspective. "While studying Chinese language, I learned one thing: a country can't progress if its people shy away from their own language," he told The News in an interview.
Adnan was deputed on the desk dealing with Raymond's case short before the release of this CIA contractor. Instead of getting first hand information from within the ministry, he would learn about the latest through media. The ministry first misguided the minister whereas I was kept in dark, he said.
"Right from the start of Raymond's case, I felt upset with the Ministry's conduct. It first cheated on the minister as he took a clear stand after consulting with the senior officers who later started dilly-dallying tactics before the court. A slain's wife committed suicide that only left me crying on the general apathy of the nation," said his resignation letter.
Adnan scored 12th position in CSS exam that he cleared in 2005. Previously he entered into prison service and then excise & taxation department through competitive exam and resigned from both due to rampant corruption.
As he joined the Foreign Service hoping a difference, the reality dawned on him about the standing of the country in the eyes of two friends/allies, China and USA as he got an opportunity dealing with them.
The official indifference to the country and corruption of varied nature sickened him further. "Office timings are 8 to 3 at Headquarter but not even sweepers reach at 8 and no one can dare to leave at 3," he told The News. Officers usually come at 10 or 11, and then they disturb the whole system of timings, he explained. "Same is copied while posted abroad."
His first hand accounts are an eye-opener for the whole Pakistani nation as to how the country and its leaders are treated abroad. On relations with China, he got to know about the reality when sent there for two-year language course.
President Asif Zardari frequently visited China during Adnan's stay there. During each coming visit, the level of dignitaries receiving President Zardari reduced, he said. "It was a sheer disrespect but our embassy, instead of requesting the president to stop visiting China in such a mad way, was trying to find a precedent which they could convey back to Pakistan that other heads of states have also visited so frequently."
What they could find out, Adnan explained, was perhaps an example of a Thai President but that too was so severely criticized that they dropped this idea. During Zardari's visit at Guangzhou I was a camp officer in the hotel where he was staying. No Chinese newspaper covered his visit and only story about Pakistan that day was about Baitullah Mehsood.
As to how Pakistani awards are treated abroad that our rulers madly throw on every one, Adnan shares his experience. "On 23rd March ceremony which was held in one of the most expensive hotels of Beijing, the highest award was to be given to a Chinese General who did not come to collect it and instead sent an officer of Colonel-rank to receive it. What a disgrace."
Narrating an experience of Chinese exhibition inaugurated by President Hu accompanied by all powerful ministers, Adnan said there was not a single portrait of Chinese leader shaking hand with a Pakistani leader. However, there were pictures at display of Chinese leader shaking hands with Indian leaders like Gandhi, Nehru, Shastri. "Then I saw Chinese leaders with Yasir Arafat, and even with an Omani president besides with leaders of many other unimportant countries. I was shocked why the hell Pakistan is missing."
That exhibition was silently conveying a message that we are nobody for them and they don't consider relationship with us as an achievement as we do, Adnan explained.
Adnan said China did not issue airport passes to Pakistanis who are lower that third secretary, notwithstanding repeated requests by Pakistani embassy. In contrast, Pakistan issues passes to as many Chinese diplomats here as are demanded. When I came back to Pakistan and was posted on the China desk, I refused to accept every request by the Chinese in terms of passes but "my boss issued those passes to them."
In terms of misuse of resources by Pakistani mission abroad, he referred to an instance of the country's mission in Jordan where Pakistan ambassador who during the visit of his friend, not only deputed staff and vehicles inside Jordan but in several adjoining countries as well. "How all those expenses are justified? What the hell audit teams who visit embassies do except getting dinners, parties, discos, massages and bribes?"
Regarding his experience with the US diplomats, Adnan said upon joining the service, he found hundreds of applications for visa extensions were pending on desk, mostly comprising those who did not provide all requisite information. A high level meeting first directed me not to forward to the interior ministry unless the desired information is provided and later pressurized by the same officers, I was asked to do otherwise.
The country's embassy in Washington and consulates probably have less than 100 staff in contrast with above 700 Americans in Islamabad embassy alone, Adnan noted. My experiences led me to the conclusion that all the important position of Foreign Office has been occupied by the persons who safeguard US interests very diligently, he said.
"And those at less important positions are desperate to do that job if given an opportunity. There is complete institutional and moral decay."
The Following 41 Users Say Thank You to Asi01 For This Useful Post:
Aamish Bhatti (Tuesday, April 03, 2012), adnanaqeel99 (Friday, April 13, 2012), Attia Farooq (Thursday, November 01, 2012), azure (Wednesday, April 04, 2012), drvalentino (Wednesday, April 11, 2012), FarahKhan (Saturday, October 27, 2012), hafiz ishtiaq ahmad (Friday, April 13, 2012), Hannya (Wednesday, April 11, 2012), headache (Monday, April 16, 2012), irfansays (Monday, September 10, 2012), kiyani (Tuesday, April 03, 2012), liberation (Saturday, October 31, 2015), Malmeena Khan (Wednesday, April 25, 2012), maqsood1981 (Thursday, September 20, 2012), mjkhan (Wednesday, April 25, 2012), moeenulhaq (Thursday, November 01, 2012), morningcloud (Monday, November 12, 2012), mudasr (Wednesday, November 14, 2012), Muhammad humayun (Thursday, April 12, 2012), Muhammad iqbal Serwar (Wednesday, April 25, 2012), mursaleen (Friday, November 16, 2012), Naqash Fatima (Friday, April 13, 2012), NASR KHAN (Friday, April 13, 2012), Neo[t] (Thursday, November 15, 2012), Pakistaniguy (Tuesday, April 03, 2012), Perhar (Saturday, October 27, 2012), Riaz Ahmed Alizai (Wednesday, April 25, 2012), Seemab (Wednesday, November 14, 2012), shakeel matta (Saturday, October 27, 2012), Shaw (Tuesday, April 03, 2012), sikander marri (Wednesday, April 11, 2012), Silent.Volcano (Thursday, April 12, 2012), sparkofighter (Tuesday, May 22, 2012), Stunner (Tuesday, April 03, 2012), Sweet Gondal (Saturday, October 31, 2015), Taimoor Gondal (Wednesday, November 14, 2012), Tipu Shah (Tuesday, May 22, 2012), umaryousaf (Tuesday, April 03, 2012), Umm e Farwa (Thursday, April 05, 2012), uzmauzi (Saturday, November 10, 2012), xaadis (Tuesday, April 03, 2012)

Pakistaniguy will become famous soon enoughPakistaniguy will become famous soon enough

Thank you for sharing this story. If possible then kindly mention the source so that we can further spread it on Facebook and other social networks.

I have also mentioned the source below the title.

Here is the source.

http://images.thenews.com.pk/03-04-2...ws/t-13660.htm

Regards
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Asi01 For This Useful Post:
kiyani (Tuesday, April 03, 2012), moeenulhaq (Thursday, November 01, 2012), Pakistaniguy (Tuesday, April 03, 2012), Stunner (Tuesday, April 03, 2012)
42nd CTP (PAAS)
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2013 - Merit 66

sabahatbhutta is a splendid one to beholdsabahatbhutta is a splendid one to beholdsabahatbhutta is a splendid one to beholdsabahatbhutta is a splendid one to beholdsabahatbhutta is a splendid one to beholdsabahatbhutta is a splendid one to behold

I really respect Mr. Adnan Randhawa and I have high regards for him, He is one of those people who can not tolerate corruption so he is unique but He should have remained in the system and tried to correct it. If all honest persons will leave civil services then how the system can be corrected?
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sabahatbhutta For This Useful Post:
azure (Wednesday, April 04, 2012), BALOCHISTAN (Wednesday, October 31, 2012), oxon (Thursday, November 01, 2012), Pakistaniguy (Tuesday, April 03, 2012), shakeel matta (Saturday, October 27, 2012), Shanic Khan (Wednesday, November 21, 2012), umaryousaf (Tuesday, April 03, 2012), wasfagillani (Thursday, April 12, 2012)
PHILOSOPHER
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Stunner is just really niceStunner is just really niceStunner is just really niceStunner is just really niceStunner is just really nice

A brave step taken by Adnan Randhawa .. I had already been instructed about the politics of Foreign service by a friend CSP .. I was planning to drop down the Foreign service preference from 3rd to the lowest possible level, in case I pass InshaAllah ..

The story I was told was even gruesome than the one mentioned above .. Adnan Randhawa's one quote "all the important positions of Foreign Office have been occupied by the persons who safeguard US interests very diligently", says it all ..

I salute Adnan Randhawa for coming out of the mess as a clean and patriot citizen .. But the question is, is it just Foreign service that is corrupt .. ? I'm sure people like him will face the same bitter reality in every field, in Pakistan ..

Parween Shakir in a preface of one of her books writes:

"Basti mein baraf-baari hui, to logon ne apnay haath taapnay k liye ghar hi jalaa diye .. Aur jab tamaam basti sho'lon ki lapaitt mein aa gaii, to saaray haath buland thay (Aasmaan ki taraf), magar kisi ko Soorah Ibrahim yaad na thi" ..

The Soorah Ibrahim mentioned by her I guess denotes to the forgiveness from Allah .. I think we too like those people, are burning our homeland to ashes, and once it will be burnt or destroyed to an irrevocable position, we might not even be pardoned for the sin we are committing .. Allah hamaray dilon se bhi Soorah Ibrahim mitaa de ga ..

May Allah bless our homeland and guide us all to the right path .. The precedent has been set by Adnan Randhwa, we just need to follow .. May Allah make an honorable and clean life easy for all of us ..
Aameen .. !!

Regards ..
leadsmalik98 (Wednesday, April 25, 2012), Umeed Ali (Saturday, October 27, 2012), Umm e Farwa (Thursday, April 05, 2012)

I also appreciate Mr Adnan for what he did and resigned from the group (Foreign Services) which is becoming top preference among CSS aspirants.
The corruption has engulfed our country and it not only exists in civil service but in all departments from President to peon. It has paralysed the economy and pushed our country into the darkest era.
The corruption has deteriorated the image of our country at international level.
Everyone comes whether a politician or bureaucrat and fills his bag and vanishes. There is not any accountability on the contrary the poor people are suffering from hunger, inflation, unemployment etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Asi01 For This Useful Post:
oxon (Thursday, November 01, 2012), wasfagillani (Thursday, April 12, 2012)

greenhorn is on a distinguished road

when he knew, how the system works in pak, why did u join the service. In my opinion a bad move on his part, he shud have waited patiently for the transition into a non corrupt society. nothing happens overnight. He could have done something to stop those corrupt practices instead of succumbing to them. Very bad move, infact a stupid mistake.

regards
Sonia Sudham Chand Rajpal (Thursday, November 15, 2012), UbaidKhalid (Sunday, December 16, 2012)
Qualifier: Awarded to those Members who cleared css written examination - Issue reason: Css 2010 - Roll no 08234

tknw01 will become famous soon enoughtknw01 will become famous soon enough

By any chance, is he the same guy who's in PTI?

@thwk01
I think that he is not in any political party.

@greenhorn
Dear Adnan had previously joined two groups but left them due to chronic corruption and finally joined foreign services but unfortunately he also faced the same problem there.

If he waited, what would be the situation and could he alone change the system or eradicate the corruption?
certainly not. A single hand can not clap.
Old Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Zaheer Ahmad Khattak is on a distinguished road

i agree with you my friend that single hand do not clap