Saturday, April 20, 2024
11:23 AM (GMT +5)

Go Back   CSS Forums > General > Discussion

Discussion Discuss current affairs and issues helpful in CSS only.

Reply Share Thread: Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook     Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter     Submit Thread to Google+ Google+    

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Monday, August 29, 2005

twilight is on a distinguished road
Default Importance Of Good Schooling In Competitive Exams

IMPORTANCE OF GOOD SCHOOLING IN COMPETITIVE EXAMS

ASSALAM-O-ALAIKUM!
Hope u all be fine by the grace of almighyt Allah!
Here I wanna draw ur attention to my observation in relation to CSS Examnation.

Usually common people ignore schooling in rating importance to the various stages of educational career. So far my observation is concerned i am firm on the point that education at school level, especially primary education, is of key importance in not only CSS but all competitive examinations and GRE Tests. Usually less importance is attached to the selection of schools and mostly students are sent to low standard schools where from parents get fascination due to low fees. Even at some schools where high fees are charged, the standard of education is still pathetic. I herby wanna tell u all that wherever ur schooling is from,have a look and see the reality of my statement. At least we can take special care of the education of upcoming generation at school level. Let’s consider CSS and PCS exams and we will for sure cry out for the primary importance of good schooling.

1. ESSAY paper is essentially dependent on the strong expression. The expression is usually built up in school while writing essays of various types. Those who have gone through the O Level must be aware of the fact that strong expression and organization of essay of various types is usually carried out in school life. Many among the aspirants of competitive exams have good knowledge about a topic but they tremble when it comes to organization and impressive expression.

2. PRECIS & COMPOSITION is usually dependent on the capability and calibre of a persont. It needs good précis skill and good vocabulary. So far I have seen, vocabulary is usually built up in early student life and utilized later. Idioms, synonyms, antonyms, sentences, direct and indirect narration and active and passive voice etc are practiced continuously in schools and not in colleges and universities.

3. ISLAMIAT is concerned with the basic general knowledge about the religion and beliefs. In schools these topics are continuously in practice and a student is continuously provided with knowledge related to religion, hence a base is formed.

4. PAK AFFAIRS deals with the historical details about the creation of Pakistan and the conditions of Sub-continent. These details are provided in schools and a student is continuously in touch with the evolution of Pakistan and its development in various aspects. The concepts broaden in college, but the credit hours for the subjects reduce while in schools it is a compulsory subject.

5. Optional papers usually need strong and impressive presentation. Many students present the fact and details read from same sources but the expression matters and the expression is made during schools.
In light of this discussion, I hereby invite comments of the forum. It is commonly seen that students with good schooling go through only because of their good schooling which has made their base strong. Schooling is the basic education need to be taken care of and the College and University education is the utilization of knowledge gained in schools with further broadening on the foundations of schooling. College and University education is more a struggle towards a degree for obtaining a job while schooling is a move towards founding a base.

Twilight
(Pardon in advance for errors and spellings due to scarcity of time)

Last edited by Argus; Saturday, January 14, 2006 at 08:05 PM.
Old Monday, August 29, 2005
Staff Member

Hafsah is on a distinguished road
Smile i agree

i agree, institutions create a huge difference when it comes to getting jobs & aquiring further education.
as far as schools are concerned they do infuse a sense of accomplishment if they really are doing something great in building the personality of the students. where as the college & university enhances the person's character & intellect.
thats my view ... others are welcome to share theirs.
Old Saturday, January 14, 2006
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CSS 2007Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

mahmood has a spectacular aura aboutmahmood has a spectacular aura about

I think schooling deserves some merit as far as the writing skills of a person are concerned. however there are other factors too. I believe the most important factor is how hard you work.
I went to a good school but i think the my writing style did not develop until very recently. ever since graduation from college, I have been reading a lot of books. that have made my vocabulary stronger. coupled with the strong grammar, I think, that is the most potent weapon in writing.
Old Tuesday, July 13, 2010
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Sociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to all

I wonder where the stuff produced by the famous and trendy SCHOOL SYSTEMS is going. If these school are imparting quality education, what is the ratio of their students among the CSS qualifiers, Drs, and other respected professions.? Most of the talented ppl. writers, lawyers, politicians of today are former students of govt. schools and colleges. I have never seen a successful person at a prominent position who is educated at beacon, Grammer or City Schools.
Old Tuesday, July 13, 2010
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Arbab.Danish will become famous soon enough

I agree with Sociologist PU. We don't see many people on good positions especially ones which are decided by merit and not money. We do see many politicians, and many persons in Business organizations coming from schools which are called to be of good standard. But on positions like Civil Services, Army, defense. Intellectuals, writers, researchers and others such, mostly people are from so-called backward schools.

Why people from backward schools are not in large private sector and business firms is simply because they can't afford heavy fees of Business schools.

And why more people from backward schools are on good positions in Govt services, it may be because they have learn more practically from life and world. May be they are more hard working and may be because they know for them the only way to be successful is by succeeding in education while it is not true for those who can afford the fees of quality education.

So in short behind the educational success of a person his economical background matters more than his schooling background. However quality schooling is a blessing (not available to the poor)

Another reason behind large number of persons being from so-called backward schooling and on good competitive posts may be simply because in they are more in numbers than those from good schooling, while competing for such posts. So the former automatically out number the latter.

Well this could be a good topic and issue to write a research paper. (Sociologist Pu ! kia khyal hai? won't it be a good topic) and yeah this was almost dead discussion over here given life by Sociologist Pu.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arbab.Danish For This Useful Post:
Sociologist PU (Wednesday, July 14, 2010)
Old Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Sociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to allSociologist PU is a name known to all

@ arbab

Ya it is good topic for research in the fields of Education and can help parents in selecting the school for their children. In fact, what i have observed is that students of these costly private school prefered to go abroad after their education or will feel comfortable in a foreign bank or in a Multinational corp.
Does it mean that they feel themselves "misfit" in pakistani society ?

New Student has a spectacular aura aboutNew Student has a spectacular aura about

It is a good topic. However, one needs concrete data of csp's educational backgrounds. Can anyone have those data from 1972 onwards?

Muser is on a distinguished road

Good topic. Obviously it can make you stand out provided you too have the required personality ingredients to be successful. Self matters more than environment but then environment's influences can't be denied either.

Another aspect; the differing aims & struggles of the classes of our society easily explains why we all end up where we end up.

Unfortunately, good institutions churn out their best products for the international market where they are appreciated and rewarded more likely; plus their bright students feel it a duty upon themselves to reach out for the higher horizons & they are very right in their own right. Take the example of Agha Khan Medical University, Karachi.

Plus the schooling systems and their graduates pointed out here are young enough to be judged that properly, because mostly they are in the earlier halves of their careers...relatively younger lot.

theelegant444 is on a distinguished road

Schooling is no doubt a very pivotal component of one's life. It is the school that provides profound opportunities to polish one's qualities in studies and extra curricular activities. It shapes one's personality in every dimension. Manners and ethics after the lap of mother are instigated in one's life. That could go a way longer and reveal greatly when one speaks a single word.

Especially, schooling has a great influence on one's writing skills. In this context, english writing skills perked up which is certainly of immense significance in competitive exams.

Though good institutions allow ample chances for enhancing these skills. But the curiosity and love towards learning English language is the key. As it is not our mother tongue so the only way to keep us well to do knowledge of its vocabulary and usage of words is hidden in reading.

New student has rightly said that we need data to find out the information regarding the schooling of CSPs. That data must be available with the FPSC and CSA, but will be difficult to obtain even for research purpose. So we can only depend on our observation. (which is also a research techenque in Anthropology and works in some situations like this)
Another observation in this regard is the role of some of the best (private) institutions of Pakistan like LUMS, LSE etc. LUMS is rated No. 1 in management sciences, but i have never seen a gradute of this university in any public sector depertment. Why ? The government does not need best managers to run its affairs ?
Similar is the case of LSE which is best in Economics. But you will not find any gradute of LSE in the Planning & Development Depertment.
It seems that gradutes of these prestigious institutions dont like to join govt depts or govt dont want to recruit them ?