I have collected all the details for HEC Advance country fellowship as follows:-
The scheme envisages Masters leading to PhD/ PhD in HEC identified world top ranked discipline wise Universities of the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Japan, Singapore etc.
• To create a critical mass of highly qualified Engineer, Technologists, and Scientists Manpower in high-tech fields
• To build up the capacity of Universities, Research & Development Organizations and Industries in Pakistan through addition of PhD’s in priority fields.
• Considerable intellectual activity is expected to be generated through this scheme as groups of scientists, technologists and social scientist would be engaged in publishing their research work. It is expected that good number of papers/studies could be produced annually. The scheme would provide our system an impetus for an out-put and productivity. Major organizations & universities would be increasing their R&D by absorbing specialized trained manpower. A number of new R&D Projects having economic returns can thus be launched.
• The current scheme would supplement HEC efforts for provision of adequate number of trained PhD manpower, to support technology upgrading, develop high standards of Science & Technology, Humanities and Business education/training in Pakistan and to meet the challenging needs of Pakistan’s economy.
1. Candidates must have minimum sixteen years of education (MSc, MA, MBA, ME, MS, B.E / BSc (Engg), M.B.B.S or equivalent).
2. Maximum two second division throughout the academic career.
3. No third division (less than 50% marks) or D Grade in academic career.
4. Maximum age on May 30, 2007:
a. 40 years for full time regular faculty members of public sector Universities/Colleges and employees of the public sector R & D organizations.
b. 35 years for all others.
5. Applicants must have secured admissions for programs leading to PhD in the specified disciplines in the HEC identified world top ranked discipline wise Universities. The list of these universities & disciplines is available Here
6. Applicants who are applying for Physical Sciences, Engineering & Technology and Business Education need to submit GRE/GMAT score. GRE score will be sent directly through ETS to HEC on institution code GI 9054. GMAT score will be acceptable only for the candidates for Business Studies
7. Applicants who are applying for Agriculture & Veterinary Sciences, Biological & Medical Sciences, Social Sciences and Arts & Humanities need to have minimum cumulative 50% academic marks as per HEC Academic Evaluation Formula (HEC-AEF). The HEC-AEF is available at HEC website (www.hec.gov.pk/ossphase2batch2)
8. The students already registered/enrolled for programs leading to PhD in
HEC approved institutions abroad may also apply.
9. The candidates who are already availing any other HEC scholarship are not eligible to apply.
How to Apply
The prescribed application form should be accompanied with the following documents
1. Attested photocopy of CNIC
2. Attested photocopies of all educational testimonials.
3. Attested photocopy of GRE/GMAT score. GRE score report in original must also reach HEC by the last date specified by HEC each year directly through ETS, USA to Institution code GI 9054. This is required only for Physical Sciences, Engineering & Technology and Business Education disciplines
4. Attested photocopy of confirmed admission for PhD or leading to PhD Program at one of the HEC approved universities (list is available on HEC web site).
6. Statement of Purpose for pursuing higher studies (max. 500 words)
7. Research Proposal
8. NOC from the employer (only for Government employees)
Note: - All above documents should be in proper order and stapled
1. All scholarships will be awarded on merit.
2. Admission letter should clearly state that admission is in PhD or MS/MPhil leading to PhD, otherwise application will not be entertained.
3. Candidates having MS / MPhil degree (18 years education) will be preferred.
4. Those who have already applied for the Overseas Scholarship in previous phases and have not been awarded scholarship are required to re-apply.
5. In-Service candidates should apply through proper channel. NOC from the organization must be provided with the application form on or before the closing date of application.
6. Maximum 4 years funding will be provided for higher studies leading to PhD.
7. Awardees have to execute a bond with the HEC to serve in Pakistan for 5 years after completion of study, preferably in an institution of Higher Education.
8. Incomplete and applications received after due date will not be entertained.
Application forms, complete in all respect should reach the undersigned on or before the last date advertised by HEC each year under this scheme.
Application Forms Download:-
List of Subjects
Agriculture & Veterinary Sciences
All subjects including,
Biological & Medical Sciences
Evolution & genetics
Marine Sciences (Biological Aspects)
Medicine all subjects including
Human anatomy, cytology, histology
Pharmacy, Pharmacology & theraputics
Medicine (Clinical) including,
Surgery & related medical specialties
Gynecology related medical specialties
Public health including,
Promotion of health
Incidence & prevention of disease
Physics all specialties including,
Electricity & Electronics
Chemistry all subjects including,
Astronomy & allied sciences
Earth (Astronomical geography)
Earth, Atmosphere and Marine Sciences
Earth sciences & Allied Sciences
Geology, hydrology, meteorology
Paleontology- Paleozoology, Paleobotany
Computer Sciences & related disciplines
Information Technology, Software Engineering
Engineering & Technology
Management information systems
Technical & Vocational education
Finance all subjects including
Business Administration & Management
Administrative sciences including
Library and Archival Sciences
Law and Legislature
Arts & Humanities
Recreational & performing arts, Music
Physical Education and sports
Languages and Literature
Museology (Museum science)
Journalism, Advertisement, mass communication
LIST OF APPROVED UNIVERSITIES
As posted in my last mail above.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Question)
Question No. 1: Is GAT-General score conducted by NTS applicable for these scholarships?
Answer: GAT-General Score is NOT applicable for these scholarships. GAT-General score will be accepted only for the “90%overseas scholarships for MS/ MPhil leading to PhD in selected fields (Phase2-Batch2)” which will be advertised in May 2007.
Question No. 2: Am I eligible to apply?
Answer: Please read the following statements carefully and answer in Yes or No only. If your reply is “YES” for serial number 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6 and “NO” for 7, 8 & 9 then you are eligible to apply
1 Are you a Pakistani / AJK National? YES NO
2 Are you less than or exact 35 years of age on closing date i.e. May 30, 2007?
Or YES NO
(Only for full time regular faculty members of public sector Universities/Colleges and employees of the public sector R & D organizations)
Are you less than or exact 40 years of age on closing date i.e. May 30, 2007? YES NO
3 Have completed minimum of 16 years of academic education? YES NO
4 On selection would you be able to get leave sanctioned for the whole study period (Only for Government employees)
(Please tick “Yes” in case non government employee / unemployed / student) YES NO
5 Have secured admission in PhD or MS/MPhil leading to PhD in the specified disciplines in the HEC identified world top ranked discipline wise Universities? YES NO
6 Have GRE / GMAT score, in case applying for Physical Sciences, Engineering & Technology and Business Education
Or YES NO
Have more than 50% marks in HEC-AEF, in case applying for Agriculture & Veterinary Sciences, Biological & Medical Sciences, Social Sciences and Arts & Humanities YES NO
7 Have more than two second divisions throughout the academic career? YES NO
8 Have less than 50% marks in academic career YES NO
9 Availing any other (HEC/Government.) scholarship. YES NO
Question No. 3: Is this fully funded scholarship or only covers 10% of the total cost of the expenses because title of the scheme is “10 % Overseas Scholarships (Phase2-Batch2)”
Answer: This is fully funded scholarship which will cover tuition fee, stipend, health insurance and air fare.
Question No. 4: I don not have admission letter from HEC identified discipline wise world top ranked university, Can I apply”
Answer: A candidates has to has admission letter from HEC identified discipline wise world top ranked university before applying otherwise He/She is not eligible to apply.
Question No. 5: Can I apply if I have admission letter from foreign university other than HEC identified discipline wise world top ranked university?
Answer: A candidate has to have admission letter from only HEC identified discipline wise world top ranked university.
Question No. 6: I have admission in HEC identified discipline wise world top ranked university and university doesn’t require GRE/GMAT score, do I have to provide GRE/GMAT score to HEC?
Answer: Applicants who are applying for Physical Sciences, Engineering & Technology and Business Education have to submit GRE/GMAT score because HEC needs GRE/GMAT score to draw the merit list due to limited number of scholarships. GMAT will only be applicable for business studies.
Question No. 7: I am not sure that either I need to submit the GRE / GMAT score or HEC-AEF is applicable for me.
• Applicants who are applying for Physical Sciences, Engineering & Technology and Business Education need to submit GRE/GMAT score. GRE score will be sent directly through ETS to HEC on institution code GI 9054 and as well attested copy will be attached with the application form. GMAT score will be acceptable only for the candidates for Business Studies
• Applicants who are applying for Agriculture & Veterinary Sciences, Biological & Medical Sciences, Social Sciences and Arts & Humanities need to have minimum cumulative 50% academic marks as per HEC Academic Evaluation Formula (HEC-AEF). The HEC-AEF is available at HEC website (www.hec.gov.pk/ossphase2batch2)
Question No. 8: How should I know that my subject is falling under which discipline?
Answer: Please visit HEC web site (www.hec.gov.pk/ossphase2batch2
) for the list of subjects and disciplines.
Question No.9: I am already availing HEC Scholarship for PhD studies. Am I eligible to apply in this Scholarship scheme?
Question No.10: If I am selected, will I be required to submit the undertaking form, bond agreement and other related documents, to serve in Pakistan?
Question No.11: Is international GRE-Subject sore acceptable?
Question No.12: I have admission in MS/MPhil Program in HEC identified discipline wise world top ranked university, University web site clearly state that after the completion of MS /MPhil candidate can apply for PhD program. Can I apply with MS/MPhil admission letter?
Answer: Admission letter should clearly state that admission is in PhD or MS/MPhil leading to PhD, otherwise application will not be entertained
Rana Shafiq Ahmad
Higher Education Commission
H-9, Islamabad, Pakistan