CSS Forums

CSS Forums (http://www.cssforum.com.pk/)
-   PMS Papers 2014 (http://www.cssforum.com.pk/punjab-public-service-commission/pcs-pms/pms-past-papers/pms-papers-2014/)
-   -   PMS Botany Paper 2014 (http://www.cssforum.com.pk/punjab-public-service-commission/pcs-pms/pms-past-papers/pms-papers-2014/109261-pms-botany-paper-2014-a.html)

Amna Sunday, May 08, 2016 01:36 AM

PMS Botany Paper 2014

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana][CENTER][FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=5][B]PUNJAB PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=3][B]COMBINED COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION FOR
RECRUITMENT TO THE POSTS OF
PROVINCIAL MANAGEMENT SERVICE, ETC - 2014[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana][FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=3][B]SUBJECT: BOTANY-I
[/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[/CENTER]
[/FONT][/COLOR][B]TIME ALLOWED: THREE HOURS
MAXIMUM MARKS: 100
[/B]
[B]NOTE: [/B][B][B][B](i)Attempt in English only. [/B][/B]
(ii)Attempt any FIVE questions.[/B][B] All questions carry equal marks.

[/B] [B]Q.1.[/B] [B](i)[/B] Discuss the economic importance of algae.
[B](ii).[/B] Give an account of general characteristics of Chlorophyta with special reference to reproduction.

[B]Q.2. (i).[/B] Write down the means of reproduction in major groups of fungi.
[B](ii).[/B] Discuss fungal disease of economically important plants.

[B]Q.3. (i).[/B] Discuss the evolutionary trends in the sporophyte of Bryophytes.
[B](ii).[/B] Explain the life cycle of Adiantum.

[B]Q.4. (i).[/B] Describe the general characteristics of Gymnosperms with special reference to living fossils.
[B](ii).[/B] Discuss the evolutionary tendencies in land plants with lead to the formation of seed.

[B]Q.5. (i)[/B]. Describe Bentham and Hooker’s system of classification of plants. What are its merits and demerits?
[B](ii).[/B] What are the main provisions of International Code of Botanical Nomenclature?

[B]Q.6. (i).[/B] Write a comprehensive note on Meristem
[B](ii).[/B] Describe Secondary growth in plants.

[B]Q.7. (i).[/B] What is Alternation of Generations? Describe it with the help of an example of flowering plant.
[B](ii).[/B] What do you know about Sclerenchy ma tissue?

[B]Q.8.[/B] Write notes on the following:[INDENT]i). Epidermal Tissues
ii). Ecological Anatomy
iii). Botanic Garden
iv). Sporocarp of Marsilea
[/INDENT][B]Q.9.[/B] Differentiate between the following:[INDENT]i). Ascus and Basidium
ii).Vessel and Tracheid
iii). Seed and Fruit
V). Parenchyma and Collenchyma
[/INDENT]

Amna Sunday, May 08, 2016 02:01 AM

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana][CENTER][FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=5][B]PUNJAB PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=3][B]COMBINED COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION FOR
RECRUITMENT TO THE POSTS OF
PROVINCIAL MANAGEMENT SERVICE, ETC - 2014[/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana][FONT=Palatino Linotype][SIZE=3][B]SUBJECT: BOTANY-II
[/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR]
[/CENTER]
[/FONT][/COLOR][B]TIME ALLOWED: THREE HOURS
MAXIMUM MARKS: 100
[/B]
[CENTER][U][SIZE=3][B][FONT=Palatino Linotype]SECTION-I (Plant Physiology)[/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/U]
[U][SIZE=3][B][FONT=Palatino Linotype]
[/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/U][/CENTER]
[LEFT][SIZE=3][B][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Note: Attempt any one(1) question.
[/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/LEFT]
[B]Q.1. (a).[/B] Describe role of stomata in regulating transpiration in plants?
[B](b).[/B] What is meant by the term active transport? How does it differ from Passive transport?
[B](c).[/B] Describe different types of plant growth hormones in plants?
[B](d).[/B] Differentiate between photorespiration and dark respiration.

[B]Q.2. (a)[/B]. Differentiate between cellular respiration and oxidative phosphorylation. [B](b).[/B] What is structure and function of Chloroplast? Explain
[B](c).[/B] What is photosynthesis? Describe the ways in which external factors may affect the rate of photosynthesis.
d). Write a short note on bud dormancy.

[CENTER][U][SIZE=3][B][FONT=Palatino Linotype]SECTION-II (Ecology)[/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/U][/CENTER]
[LEFT]
[SIZE=3][B][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Note: Attempt any one(1) question.[/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/LEFT]
[B]Q.3. (a).[/B] what is plant Ecology? Differentiate between “Auto ecology” and “Synecology”.
[B](b).[/B] How wind causes soil erosion? How it could be prevented?
[B](c).[/B] How energy flow in an ecosystem?
[B](d).[/B] How does climax community differ from early successional stages?

[B]Q.4. (a).[/B] What do you mean by pollution? How industrial revolution has led to the problem of water pollution?
[B](b)[/B]. What is water logging? Describe briefly Water logging problem in Pakistan.
[B](c).[/B] Write a short note on vegetation of Pakistan.
[B](d).[/B] Write briefly about “Ecological energetic”, “Food chain”, “Food web” and “Trophic Levels”.

[CENTER][SIZE=3][B][FONT=Palatino Linotype][U]SECTION-III( Cytology)[/U][/FONT][/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][B][FONT=Palatino Linotype]
[/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/CENTER]
[B]Q.5. (a).[/B] Briefly describe the different steps involved in Glycolysis.
[B](b).[/B] Describe the different steps involved in prophase of 1st Meiotic division.
[B](c).[/B] What is the cell cycle? How oncogenes effect the cell cycle?
[B](d).[/B] What is the importance of pores in nuclear membrane? Differentiate between Chromatin, Chromosomes and Chromatids.

[B]Q.6. a).[/B] Describe the “ Fluid mosaic model” of cell membrane.
[B](b)[/B]. Discuss Mitochondria as power house of the cell.
[B](c).[/B] Write a note on “Polytene Chromosomes”.
[B](d).[/B] What are the “Genetic codes” ? Describe its properties.

[CENTER][U][SIZE=3][B][FONT=Palatino Linotype]SECTION-IV (Genetics and Evolution)[/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/U]
[U][SIZE=3][B][FONT=Palatino Linotype]
[/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/U][/CENTER]
[B]Q.7. (a).[/B] What are mutations? What is their significance?
[B](b).[/B] How would you proceed to propagate a hybrid plant?
[B](c). [/B]Describe different types of polyploidy. Why polyploidy is more common in plants than in animals.
[B](d).[/B] What is the frequency of heterozygous “Aa” in a randomly mating population in which the frequency “aa” is 0.7?

[B]Q.8. (a).[/B] Why are the plants not like their parents?
[B](b)[/B]. Differentiate between Incomplete dominance, Co-dominance and Over dominance.
[B](c).[/B] Describe the main elements of the theory of evolution by natural selection.
[B](d). [/B]Groff and Odland found a veriety of cucumber whose flower fail to open when mature. These flower nevertheless be pollinated them artificialy. The results of experiment were:
[B][COLOR=White]------------------------[/COLOR]Phenotype of the[COLOR=White]---------------- [/COLOR]offspring [/B]
[B]Parents[COLOR=White]----------------[/COLOR]Opened Flowers[COLOR=White]----------------[/COLOR]Closed Flowers[/B]
Closed X Open[COLOR=White][B]---------------[/B][/COLOR]all[COLOR=White][B]--------------------------------[/B][/COLOR]none
F1(of above)xF1[COLOR=White][B]-------------[/B][/COLOR]145[COLOR=White][B]--------------------------------[/B][/COLOR]59
Closed x F1[COLOR=White][B]------------------[/B][/COLOR]81[COLOR=White][B]---------------------------------[/B][/COLOR]77
Define symbols of the gene involved. Indicate the genotype of the closed parents, the open parents and F1.

[B]Q.9. (a).[/B] Write briefly on Allemorph, Crossing over, Linkage, Sex Linked inheritance and Lethal factors.
[B](b).[/B] What is transduction? How does it differ from transformation?
[B](c).[/B] Differentiate between Terrestrial and Aquatic ecosystem.
[B](d).[/B] What are multiple alleles? Discuss Rh and ABO incompatibilities.

[B]Q.10. (a).[/B] What are the factors that affect recombination frequencies?
[B](b).[/B] What is the role of Hfr factor recombination of bacteria?
[B](c).[/B] Describe about Translocation, Inversion, deletion and duplication in relation to chromosome rearrangement.
[B](d).[/B] Two phenotypically wild type of Drosophila females(a) and(b) were mated to the same wild type male and produced the following offspring. Explain the results.

[B][COLOR=White]-------------[/COLOR]Female Offspring[COLOR=White]-------------------[/COLOR] Male Offspring [/B]
[COLOR=White]---------[/COLOR][B]White eye[COLOR=White]------[/COLOR]Wild type[COLOR=White]----------[/COLOR]White Eye[COLOR=White]------[/COLOR] Wild Type[/B]
Female (a)[COLOR=White]-----[/COLOR]0[COLOR=White]-----------[/COLOR]73[COLOR=White]------------------[/COLOR]32[COLOR=White]---------------[/COLOR]37
Female (b)[COLOR=White]-----[/COLOR]0[COLOR=White]-----------[/COLOR]68[COLOR=White]------------------[/COLOR]33[COLOR=White]---------------[/COLOR]0

02:20 PM (GMT +5)

vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.