View Single Post
Old Saturday, April 01, 2017

valiant222 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad Abbas View Post
20 days are enough for covering GS 100% If you're spending four hours/day. For me Public Ad was boring and a dry subject compared to GS. Earlier, I used to think GS is the subject of ladies, however, my opinion changed when I read the relevant material. It was interesting, social and not merely related to women but all genders, even the queer group.

It's not a lengthy subject at all. The syllabus is divided into eight sections, however, all are concise. It depends upon you whether you want to cover all sections or leave one or two. These days covering 100% is a wise thing as paper setters cover almost every part of the course in question paper.

I have a social science background so it was an interesting subject for me. You are a Psychologist, I guess you'll find it more interesting than me...

My sincere advise would be to collect recommended books of FPSC and start making your notes keeping in view the bullets in syllabus. One or two books on theory are enough, I hope you find Free PDF of these somewhere on internet or in the GS section of this forum. Or visit a good book store or order on-line. If you have access to libraries that would be best.

On Women issues in Pakistan: Try to collect all materials by Dr. Farzana Bari and Robina Seigol even If you find their news items, op-eds, or journal articles. The issues are; gender based violence in Pakistan (all types; be it honor killing, domestic violence, rapes, acid throwing, sexual harassment, add flavor to it with the statistical data of Human Rights Commission Pakistan reports), women and political marginalization in Pak (again Farzana Bari and Seigol have written alot about it, you can collect news articles and seminar reports on the issue), women and quota system (you can go pro or against the system of women proxies by political parties they nominate for 60 women seats), yet another important element is the problems of queer community (LGBTS).

Also visit websites of Gender Studies Center/Departments of main Pakistani universities; QAU, Karachi Uni, Peshawar Uni, Allama Iqbal Open Uni and Punjab Uni to get an idea of the working of discipline.

Hope it has cleared your confusion about the subject. May Allah bless you...

Ahmed Abbas I am thankful to you for giving me such a comprehensive response regarding GS. Well after analyzing syllabus of both PA , GS and an insight from your side , I have decided to opt GS. Yes I am psychologist by profession and hopefully will find this subject interesting as told by you . I will cover it by keeping 20 days in my mind having syllabus in front of me .

I will surely keep with you a contact at this forum if felt any problem during course of preparation .

Thank you