View Single Post
Old Friday, October 03, 2008
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CSS 2007Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

mahmood has a spectacular aura aboutmahmood has a spectacular aura about
Default english is not about writing big words

@kashif

while reading your post, it seems like you have tried your best to put in words that are hardly in anyone's vocabulary. but i must tell you something; that wont take you far.

I dont know if you have ever read any of my posts. you will probably notice two things about my writing. one, i dont write difficult words to impress people. two, i dont use text language. unless it is very necessary to use, avoid the hard diction. why? i will tell you.

the first thing that you want to do is to make the examiner read what you have written. now if you make it so difficult for the examiner that he has to consult dictionary at every step, he wont even look at your paper and will either give you average or below average marks. you want to engage him, not distract him. think of it as a conversation. people like those people who are easy to understand; people like ideas that are easy to understand.

your goal should be to make the person understand, not bamboozle him. the examiner will not be amused if you keep giving him a hurdle after hurdle. he wont even go through all of what you have to say.

in essence you should try to make your writing as effective as possible. your ideas should be clear, and precise.

i remember the precis from 2006 paper. it was the most idiotic one i had ever seen. in my view the paper setter had taken a paragraph, had gone through the electronic thesaurus, looked for some hard words in place of the easy ones and had placed them there. the end result was that i could only think one thing: the papers setter was an idiot.

if you want to have a look at some effective, simple english, try reading Amartya Sen's The Argumentative Indian. I think that will give you a good idea of what i am talking about.

i think someone has given you the wrong idea about the exam. I hope you understand what i am trying to say.

the positive in your writing is that you have a good grip over grammar. dont spoil that impression. use simple language. you will always succeed.

regards
The Following User Says Thank You to mahmood For This Useful Post:
tanker (Saturday, June 18, 2016)