View Single Post
Old Tuesday, June 20, 2017
CSP Medal: Awarded to those Members of the forum who are serving CSP Officers - Issue reason: CE 2008

trotsky59 is on a distinguished road

Argumentation is a very diverse topic to discuss, i hope i could get time to write about art of argumentation because it is the main pillar of discourse and very important for essay writing, until i write on different aspects of argumentation, you can sent your essays for assessment on my email.

There are mainly three types of structures of arguments
1) Series structure of Argument
2) Divergent structure of Argument
3) Parallel Structure of Argument

Series Structure of Argument is the method of argument in which different sub-claims are interdependent. They can be interdependent in many ways cause-effect-remedy is one of these ways. Suppose We say in first paragraph that poverty is caused by poor economic conditions, in second paragraph we say that this poor economy is the result of bad governance and in third paragraph we say that bad governance is due to corruption . These arguments contributes to the main claim as set of arguments, dependent on each other. Now from this causation arises another set of arguments based on effects, in same manner from the set of arguments of repercussions arise an other set of arguments based on suggestions/remedies
Normally this method of argumentation is used in descriptive essays where some sort of problem is involved such as Energy Crisis in Pakistan, Poverty in Third World etc.

In Divergent Structure of argument sub claims apparently are independent of each other as i have mentioned above. Mostly this type of structure is used in argumentative essays.

Third method is Parallel Structure of Argument which is more complex and include both of the previous methods of arguments . In this method we have a set of arguments in which sub claims of a set of arguments are interdependent and other set of arguments is independent of previous set of arguments

social aspects of ABC
aspect 1
aspect 2(dependent on aspect 1)
aspect 3(dependent on aspect 2)
aspect 4(dependent on aspect 3)

Political aspects of ABC
aspect 1
aspect 2(dependent on aspect 1)
aspect 3(dependent on aspect 2)
aspect 4(dependent on aspect 3)

Hope i could draw diagram to elaborate these methods more easily.
Secondly none of these method is strictly pure. Series structure can contain the elements of divergent structure and vice versa. Parallel Structure contains both of these structure.
For reference see : Argumentation: The Study of Effective Reasoning By David Zarefisky