View Single Post
Old Monday, June 26, 2017

Anum Zara is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali89 View Post
Thanks alot for your valueable suggestions, surely i will reconsider history subject once again, but according to some members environmental sciences and public administration both are little bit techinal subjects and consume more time and require some background knowledge.

and please guide me if i start preparation with one compulsory and one optional with English daily or i should prepare compulsory first then optional. I have only 7 months for preration, or can you suggest a better plan for average student.
Ali89 yes I have seen a lot of people saying that but I do not know the reason behind it. I am not going to say that my opinion is right and others are wrong but I am going to elaborate a bit more for you. After that you can decide.

In last attempt my optional subjects were IR, Indo Pak History, Pub. Admin., Gender Studies and psychology. I had only 1.5 months to prepare these subjects. I use to study almost 18 hours for these subjects. I have gone through syllabus of all at least once before CE-17. Although I was not well prepared but all my papers went well except one that is public administration. I am also a silent observer of scoring trends from last 7-8 years. I have also gone through previous syllabus of public administration. My paper of gender studies went well. After exams I started analyzing my performance and what is needed to be changed as I am preparing for next attempt and this time it will be with full strike. I talked to few persons who have cleared 2016 written (After change of subjects). They agree with my opinion.
Many students say that GS is very easy and general subject. I do not agree. It is very technical subject and it 's preparation requires a lot of time. First you need to get grip on key terminologies. After that basics concepts are needed to be understood. Lastly one need to prepare many topics in Pakistan's context paying special attention to women related topics. For getting marks you need 2-25 days to prepare it being an average student. Also marks trend is not very high. You can score as high as 65-70 if you are lucky.
About public administration. My paper did not went well because I was unable to study that subject well. Dr. Sultan's book was highly recommended so, I bought it but it was not according to syllabus so, I was only able to cover the topics present in that book. I also had JWT book but I was unable to digest even a single word from it. Also it was not good at all. One cannot prepare that subject from internet as topics were required to prepared in Pakistan's context. Book issue was faced by many people so many have not attempted it. The score was also very low in previous result due to very reason. Otherwise this subject is not technical at all. Now Dr. Sultan's new book is out in the market and it is well written. If one prepares well he can fetch good marks in it as not many are attempting it and it is also a strategy to do things which others are not doing. Scoring trend was a lot better than Agri. & Fore. at least. I am a business graduate. Half of the topics were covered by me in masters. It is easy and not a technical subject. That is why i was my optional as I had short time.
I believe from Ce-18 onward P.A is going to be a very scoring subject.
After exams still no book was available so I switched my subject to ES. I have studied science subjects till my FSC only and I am done preparing ES. It is not technical and can be easily prepared. Also one can score 90 above in it. One book and internet is enough for it. Topics are simple. You are from Engr. background so I think it will be pretty easy for you. It will also help you in GS&A.
My suggestion is to forget about Agr. & Fore. and choose from these subjects. ES is most recommended but you should choose according to your interest and aptitude by keeping scoring trend in mind.

We have 7.5 months till exams. You need to exclude at least 1 month for revision. So technically 6-6.5 months. Every one has his/her own technique. I can give few suggestion.
English (both subjects), CA and PA. These subjects are needed to be prepared 1st and continuously. Write 1 essay on weekly basis and get it checked from a teacher. For 2nd paper, practice precis, translation, comprehension on weekly basis. Work on grammar and topics like change of voice, tenses, narration and finish them as fast as you can. After that divide lists of idioms, pairs, vocabulary etc and start memorizing them. Keep revising them on weekly, monthly basis and a comprehensive revision before examination.
For CA, PA. Prepare them 1st. For current topics stay in touch with dawn and JWT mag.
Along with them take 1 optional or compulsory subject give it 10-30 days depending upon requirement.

You need to make a schedule for the books that how much time is required to prepare a subject. Try to finish in 6 months. Rest spare 15 times as things always do not turn out the way we want. So, it will be like a shock cushion and will give you time to prepare the subject or topics which you were unable to do in given time. You need to solve past papers as well during preparation or you can prepare them in these 15 days if you want. You are an average student so, do not try to prepare notes as time is really short for you. Instead make outlines of each question you study. It will help you in exams for revision as one hardly gets 1.5 hour of revision especially for 2nd paper. Preparing past papers is also a kind of revision. Time divided for each subject depends upon you. For me Islamic studies can be prepared in 3-5 days. For IR I need more time say as 25-30 days. Similarly you need to make your own. Syllabus and books chosen for studies will also give you an idea for that. Go through syllabus. Chose subjects wisely. Leave 1 or 2 optional subjects in which you have any doubts to prepare at last as you have time till end of oct to decide which one you are going to choose. Till then new result will be out.
Last month is for comprehensive revision. Revise all you subjects.
Time is very short so, start studying. You need to study 12-15 hours daily to cover syllabus now. Quit other activities. Go on sleep-eat-study routine. Keep your self active by a little entertainment. You can choose 1,2 optional subjects later so start preparation now. After checking syllabus. Go to book shop or take help from seniors. choose books asap and start studying.

Goodluck.
Ali89 (Tuesday, June 27, 2017)