View Single Post
Old Tuesday, July 11, 2017

PartyPooper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarrar Khan View Post
Referring to your essay outline, I would like to share my thoughts about it.

Sorry to say, your essay seems to portray the technological evolution and progress of the human race. That's not what has been asked in the question. Modernity is a world view and it should have been dealt on ideological and ontological grounds. Per question, one needs to identify Modernity as an idea/ideology and its status in the contemporary world. Has it become "an unending project" ? or is there any possibility of its being evaporated/defeated/deconstructed by any other idea/world-view (existing or new) ? It was a philosophical and theoretical proposition asked in the question. In my opinion, you, unfortunately, could not grasp the core/scope of the question. I hope you would consider my criticism in a positive and constructive manner. Thanks

I did attempt the same essay. I briefly remember my outline:

Introduction: Modernity could be an ending project due to natural order of history and its dialectical process

Thesis statement of Modernity: Man is an autonomous rational being.

Brief history and origin of Modernity: Reformation, renaissance, Enlightenment, Romanticism Movements

Display of Modernity as an unending Project:

Concept of Modern State & Hegemonic globalization of Modernity.

Capitalism and economic exploitation of the globe.

Thesis of "The End of History and the Last Man" by Francis Fukuyama

Deconstruction of Modernity: (Referring to the fact that Modernity could be an ending project)

Marxism and its historical materialism.

Deconstruction of Modern Thought and its hegemony..."Specters of Marx" by Jacques Derrida.

Anti-Modernity and anti-Capitalism school of thought...Jean-Paul Sartre, Antonio Gramsci, etc.

Brexit dialect.

USA Elections and its implications.

Conclusion: Modernity is a worldview/ideology. A stronger and popular worldview/idea (new or old) could bring down Modernity. 21st Century events apparently depict the process of ending of the Modernity project. etc.

While your criticism on Wazir's essay is valid insofar as it failed to address the core idea of the essay, and that it should have dealt with modernity as an idea, your own essay is too philosophical and jargonistic for an everyday English professor to interpret and grade. Disregarding the content and inherent merits of your essay, this approach (of using esoteric terminology and ideas) is discouraged in CSS essays. A generalist is marking your paper, and you are to be a generalist throughout your career. As simple as that.

Having said that, your essay is good structurally and in its technical treatment. You show a good command on the discussed concepts. Perhaps too good for this exam. That can sometimes come to bite you. Best of luck though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PartyPooper For This Useful Post:
étoile brillante (Tuesday, July 11, 2017), Zarrar Khan (Wednesday, July 12, 2017)