View Single Post
Old Tuesday, November 04, 2008
Super Moderator
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Best Moderator Award: Awarded for censoring all swearing and keeping posts in order. - Issue reason: Best Mod 2008

Thanked 1,764 Times in 818 Posts
Princess Royal is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Royal is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Royal is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Royal is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Royal is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Royal is a splendid one to beholdPrincess Royal is a splendid one to behold
Default Tuesday, Nov 04, 2008

1. How is the word `malaise' pronounced?
(K. Geetha, Mysore)

The `a' in the first syllable is like the `a' in `cat', `bat' and `sat'. The second syllable `laise' rhymes with the words `daze', `gaze', and `maze'. The word is pronounced `ma-laze' with the stress on the second syllable. This is a word of French origin and it is mostly used in formal contexts. `Mal' means `bad' and `aise' means `ease'; the word literally means `ill at ease'. Malaise is normally used to refer to the general feeling of uneasiness that we sometimes have. Very often we are unable to explain the cause of this mental or physical discomfort. This is just one of the meanings of the word.

------------

2. What is the difference between `prevaricate' and `procrastinate'?

(R. Sridhar, Hyderabad)

Sometimes, we are asked to do things we don't want to. What do we normally do under such circumstances? We postpone doing them! When you procrastinate, you delay doing something that you ought to be doing. This Latin word literally means `to put off until tomorrow'.

Stop procrastinating. I need an answer right now. When politicians are asked questions by reporters, what is it that they do? They try their best to avoid answering them. They do everything possible to avoid giving a direct and truthful answer.

When a person prevaricates, he avoids telling the truth. The word comes from Latin and literally means 'walking crookedly'. The `a' in the second syllable of both words is pronounced like the `a' in `cat' and `bat'.

The press accused the Prime Minister of prevaricating.

`Procrastinate' and `prevaricate' are mostly used in formal contexts. Both words have the stress on the second syllable.

------------

3. Which is correct: `Half of my friends are in America' or `Half my friends are in America'?
(S. T. Dilip, Chennai)

Both sentences are correct. You can use `half' or `half of' before a `noun with a determiner (article, possessive or demonstrative)'. For example, you can say, `I finished half of my work by 6: 00 pm'. You can also say, `I finished half my work by 6: 00 pm.'

Half (of) her adult life has been spent in jail.

Before pronouns, however, we use only `half of' and not `half'. For example, `These chocolates are really good. I've already eaten half of them.' We cannot say, `I've already eaten half them'. When we talk about measurements or quantity, then we use `half' and not `half of'. There's only half a bottle of shampoo left.

------------

4. What is the meaning of `blow away the cobwebs'?
(R. Shruthi, Chennai)

This is an idiom which is mostly used in British and Australian English. Sometimes when we have stayed indoors for a long time, we feel tired or bored. To overcome these feelings, what is it that we do? Most of the time, we decide to step outside and get some fresh air. We may go for a walk, or play some cricket, tennis, etc. This outdoor activity which we take part in to clear our head is called `blow away the cobwebs'.

A nice little walk on the beach should blow away the cobwebs.

"The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable." - John Kenneth Galbraith

S. UPENDRAN