Thread: All About Dams
View Single Post
Old Sunday, February 01, 2009
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Shaa-Baaz is a jewel in the roughShaa-Baaz is a jewel in the roughShaa-Baaz is a jewel in the roughShaa-Baaz is a jewel in the rough
Default All About Dams

I am gonna start this thread in which information regarding all dams (under construction or coming project) will be discussed . It will not be a huge mess. One dam in one day . It will be lot more easier to remember them in this way

Gomal Zam Dam

Gomal Zam Dam is located at Khajuri Kach on Gomal River in South Waziristan Agency, Federally Administered Tribal Area (FATA), on the West of Districts Tank and D.I.Khan of NWFP. The areas to be irrigated fall in District Tank & Tehsil D.I.Khan Tank Road. From Tank, the Dam site is about 60 km (38 miles) to the West and is connected through a metal led road

Objectives and Components

Primary objectives of the Project are:
• Development of a lined canal irrigation system
• Hydropower generation of about 17.4 MW
• Control of flashy hill torrent floods.

The project comprises the following major components:

i. A 133 meters (437 feet) high curved Gravity Type Roller Compacted Concrete (RCC) Dam at Khajuri Kach with a Gross Storage of 1.140 MAF and a Live Storage of 0.892 MAF.

ii. Power house near the Dam site to generate 17.4 MW of hydropower.

iii. An irrigation system to serve a cultivable command area of about 66,000 hectares (163,100 acres) in Districts of Tank and Dera Ismail Khan. It includes a Diversion Barrage near Kot Murtaza Main Canal about 60 km (37.5 miles) long and Distributaries about 200 km (125 miles) long.

iv. Flood protection works of protect the infrastructure and irrigated areas from flooding caused by hill torrents to the North.

v. On farm development works confined to construction of watercourses for conveying the water from outlets to farm gate.

ALLOCATION & EXPENDITURE DURING THE YEAR 2008-09

There is an allocation of Rs. 2000 Million for the financial Year 2008-09.
Local Component = 2,000 Million
Foreign Component = Nil
Total = Rs. 2,000 Million

OVERALL FINANCIAL PROGRESS SINCE COMMENCEMENT

Total up date expenditure incurred on the Project since commencement is about Rs. 2.973 Million. The overall upto date financial progress on the project is thus 23.17% of the PC-I Cost (i.e. Rs. 12,829 Millions).

Last edited by Last Island; Thursday, February 05, 2009 at 10:13 PM.