View Single Post
Old Thursday, March 01, 2018

Fahad Qaiser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaindy View Post

Paper - II

Q8 First I explained what a state is according to the Montevideo Convention on the Rights and Duties of States 1933 and how Afghanistan is only fulfilling the "capacity to enter international relations" requirement properly. I fully supported the mainstreaming of the Taliban in order to attain a peaceful resolution of the futile 17 year old Afghan conflict. I explained that the current South Asia strategy of Donald Trump relies on a troops surge from the current level of 8000 troops, but this strategy had already been tried by the Obama administration to no avail. I explained that Pakistan can play its role through multilateral fora in mediating between the Taliban and the Afghan government. This is necessary as according to a BBC report, the Taliban control 70% of Afghan territory. Afghan forces face heavy casualties and desertions. Political engagement with the Taliban is also in the interests of China, the CAR, and Russia as well so there will be broad international support for the measure. Finished by stating that the current US policy of troop surge is just trying the same thing and expecting different results, which is insanity.

I regret attempting this question first because I don't think I could include much IR theory in this answer.

Exactly. Q 8 was too broad and too general. I wasn't sure whether to focus on current events, actors involved or future recommendations. So I tried to throw everything in the mix. I too couldn't link any of that with any IR theory.