View Single Post
Old Saturday, March 10, 2018

Anum Zara is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyas View Post
Anum i have a question for you that what is your strategy for vocabulary part of Precise & Composition paper and one more question Sociology or Psychology? what's your take?
Everyone has their own strength. I am not a good crammer. It was impossible for me to cram extensive lists like GRE 3500 word list etc. I did prepare a list this time but it was a short one. I prepared GRE critical list of around 350 words and Manhattan 501 list. I had GAT book which has around 500 words and it was already prepared as I appear for few other tests. I prepared less than 1000 words. Many of the words in these lists were same. I kept revising them in order to retain instead of learning too many new words. I was able to solve 12 MCQ's in first reading of paper. Rest was guess work and I do not know how many I have got correct. If someone has good cramming ability, they can retain more than that. You can build your vocabulary from newspapers as well.
For pair of words, I prepared past papers and rest just tried to go through lists 2,3 times. I was able to solve 4 correctly in examination. Rest, I had knowledge of only 1 word from each pair. I solved it anyhow. Same I did with idioms. First past papers than from book of Karimdad. I do not cram them. I just try to understand their meaning. After going through all of them 2-3 times, I was able to solve 4 in first reading. But understanding meanings give me an idea to solve unseen ones. So I did managed to correctively solve all. I am a very bad crammer. I cannot retain much. One should cram reasonably long lists. Neither too short nor too long. Past papers are important for pair of words and idioms. I generally focus on other questions like precis, comprehension etc. as they are my strength. In this paper, one should not take risk and give importance to all parts to fetch passing marks.

Sociology is easy no doubt but very low scoring. Most of the aspirants had score between 40-55. Do not know about past papers of this subject. Psychology has medium scoring trend. It is not very easy but it is not difficult either. It is highly interesting. Only one chapter of nervous system can give aspirants a little tough time if they have no background. Last year, questions were straight and just bookish crammed knowledge was enough. This year, examiner gave general and twisted questions which no one really expects in this paper. One can fetch 70-80 in this subject if prepared well.
As I am appearing next year as well, I may go for psychology again. My second option from this group can be anthropology and third can be journalism and mass communication. I will decide after seeing final DMC's of pass students of 2017. I am not in favor of sociology, geography and Punjabi at the moment but other regional languages are still a great choice.