Thread: All About Dams
View Single Post
Old Thursday, February 05, 2009
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Shaa-Baaz is a jewel in the roughShaa-Baaz is a jewel in the roughShaa-Baaz is a jewel in the roughShaa-Baaz is a jewel in the rough

Kurram Tangi Dam Project

(a) Total expenditure approved in PC-I amounting to Rs. 17205.267 Million and revised expenditure due to raising of Dam Height will be Rs. 19445.460 Million.

Basic Objects
  • Purposeful and effective use of water resources of Kurram and Kaitu Rivers.
  • Irrigate New Areas in Sheratalla Spaira Ragha and Thal Plain in North Waziristan Agency.
  • Improvement in cropping intensity of Command Areas of Civil Canals and Marwat Canal.
  • Installation of Hydro Power Plants to Generate cheap and pollution free Electricity 83.4 MW.
  • Improvement in the socio economic Condition of the most Backward Areas of NWFP and FATA.
(b) 83.4 MW Cheep and pollution free electricity.
(c) Total No. of affectees are 12899 (Revised) and paid Rs. 8.038 Million to the affectees at FR Bannu District.
(d) The land acquisition activities at FR Bannu. District Bannu, District Karak and North Waziristan Agency is in process. The actual date of completion according to approved PC-I is 48 Months.
(e) Due to tense situation in tribal area and stoppage the survey work by the then Chief Minister NWFP, the construction work of Kurram Tangi Dam Project is not started.

Supplementary Material:
  • Kurram Tangi Dam is a multipurpose project. It is located on Kurram river in North Waziristan Agency about 14 Km upstream of Kurram Garhi head work and 32Km in North of Bannu city. The height of Dam is 322 ft (Revised) ws storage capacity of 1.2 MAF. The Command Area of this project is 3,62,380 acres (Revised). The Project will be generated 83.4 MW electricity and 332 Gwh energy annually through five houses.
  • Presently the demarcation of pond area/dam area at North Waziristan Agency, District Bannu, District Karak and FR Bannu is completed.

ACHIEVEMENT

1. FR Bannu

1304.61 Kanal i.e 163.07 acres land have been acquired for main Thal canal and payment of Rs. 8.038 Million has been made to the Effectees through DCO Bannu. Some portion has been remained due to demarcation of FR Bannu and District Bannu boundary. The case of 5.12 Acrs is in process.

2. Bannu

Presently the work is in process.
Section -IV has been completed for main Thal Canal.
Section-V for main Thal Canal/Distributaries is in process.

3. Karak

Section-IV for main Thal Canal is completed.
Section-V for main Thal canal is in process.

4. North Waziristan Agency

The dam area/pond area is located in North Waziristan Agency.
The demarcation of pond area/Dam Area is completed with paint.
Sixty No. Badragas have been approved by the Authority but relaxation for recruitment of employees has not been accorded from the ban. It is therefore requested to exempt the Kurram Tangi Dam Project from Ministry of Water and Power w.e.f 12-04-2008 please.

Jirgas are in process with the elders of Tribal area. They demanded the advance payment of land. Project Director explained the position to allow the LAC staff to take measurement and the staff will classify the land i.e. Agriculture/Hilly area, owner of the land, so that the LAC will prepare estimate and and it will be submitted to head office for releasing the fund. However this office is waiting for the decision of political Administration Authority.

ISSUES

The progress of Kurram Tangi Dam Project is delayed due to the following reasons.
  1. Due to tense situation in Tribal area i.e. North Waziristan Agency.
  2. Due to stoppage of Survey work/Land Acquisition by the then Chief Minister NWFP Peshawar.
  3. Due to imposing ban on recruitment of employees by Federal Minister of Water and Power Development Authority Islamabad w.e.f 12-04-2008. It is therefore requested to exempt Kurram Tangi Dam Project being located in Tense area from the ban w.e.f 12-04-2008 please.
Target 2008-09

The construction work not yet started due to tense situation in Tribal area. It is hoped to be targeted that the land Acquisition activities will be started in the tribal area during financial year 2008-09.

Last edited by Last Island; Friday, February 06, 2009 at 12:34 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shaa-Baaz For This Useful Post:
Frankenstein of css (Friday, February 06, 2009)