View Single Post
Old Saturday, February 07, 2009
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

Shaa-Baaz is a jewel in the roughShaa-Baaz is a jewel in the roughShaa-Baaz is a jewel in the roughShaa-Baaz is a jewel in the rough
Default Preparing for Interview - A planned approach

Preparation for the CSS Interview can be a tricky subject. Some feel that no preparation is required as it is just a personality test. Some feel a details mugging of all issues important on taht day is required. Some are finicky about dress code, some on presentation, some about content, and some about everything under the sun. Every person has a different view.

I feel that Personality test - as it is called - can be broken down to basic identifiable items upon which we can work and improve. I will put some key points here.

What are the things that trigger a question in the mind of the INterview board?
Ans: The elements in their immediate view.
What are these elements?
Ans: First the candidate himself/herself, second his back ground record as revealed from the mains application form, third important events that have happened in last few months or are in news currently and lastly words taht we use in our answers to teh board.
Can we identify these triggers?
Ans: Yes to large extent. By doing so we can be very well prepared for about 85-90% of the questions.
How does this help?
Ans: By preparing well on these triggers, we can also work on their presentation as well so as to avoid giving unnecessary triggers through our answers or positively giving triggers that will lead the baord to our familiar territory.

For example, my date of birth coincides with that of Mother Teresa. I had prepared on the controversies surrounding Mother Teresa. There were about 2 main questions and about 3 supplementaries on that.

Practically speaking we can sit with our mains application form. and write down each and every word that we have written in that form separately on a separate page of a register. Having done that, then list questions that can be asked, with that word acting as a trigger. Refine the list by sitting with few friends. You will have a list of about 300-400 questions. Start preparing on their content and work on their presentation to keep it crispy and meaningfull. Similarly we can work on other triggers and try avoid giving unnecessary triggers in our answers.

In this manner we can prepare for the interview. This is one of the approaches that stood very well.
A Banker (Wednesday, January 13, 2010), anwaartheravian (Sunday, February 07, 2010), aurkn (Monday, July 20, 2009)