View Single Post
Old Monday, February 11, 2019

Dire Wolf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aishalam View Post
In such topics you have to pick a side and defend it with solid arguments and persuasive writing. Some people might pick a middle route and write about both in an attempt to objectively show both sides of the picture and allow the reader to make up their own mind. There are some drawbacks to such an approach. Firstly, we tend to prefer one side of the argument over the other and hence our discourse wouldn't be an objective study of both sides and also showing both sides might create an impression of indecisiveness on the part of the writer in the mind of the reader. It is much better to pick a side and defend it with clarity. In saying that, you can also show the other side of the debate and provide counter-arguments for them. Like in the example you have provided, I could be writing about how freedom of media is a blessing in Pakistan and how and why it is needed for progress. I can also, towards the end of the essay, provide instances when such a freedom had turned into a curse/bane but I would end that section by defending my original stance and saying how despite these arguments for "bane", freedom of media is a blessing. You must also note that there is no right and wrong in such debates (that is why they are debates in the first place). Every opinion is valid, granted as long as you can back that opinion with logical and solid facts and reasoning.

Note that if the topic was in the form of "opportunities and challenges", "pros and cons" etc then you are to show both sides of the argument in the essay. I hope this was helpful.
That pick a side approch is valid for all subjects or Essay only?