View Single Post
Old Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason:

The Star has a spectacular aura aboutThe Star has a spectacular aura aboutThe Star has a spectacular aura about

Doctor sahb u have raised many question and it seems that u have not only studied David Thomson but also Elphinstore, Wolsely Haig , Lane Poole, S.M Ikram,Ishtiaq Hussain Qurashi and Ishwari Prasad as well.i am truly impressed.
Aurangzeb’s war against his father and brothers has been a subject of serious criticism especially by Hindu and Western writers.we all know that auranzeb twice remained the governor of deccan.the affairs of deccan were unsettled ,cultivation was neglected and the revenues were diminishing.aurangzeb worked hard and introduced land revenue reforms which akbar had adopted earlier.he was successful to a large extent in deccan but unluckily his relation with his brother dara shikoh were not good.dara shikoh at capital delhi created many difficulties for him.once he was almost at the verge of annexing bijapur when dara interfered and aurangzeb was ordered to withdraw at the time when it seemed possible that whole of bijapure will fall.dara shikoh did everything which he could to dishonour aurangzeb.this was perhaps due to the fact that dara knew very well that he is no match to aurangzeb but dara enjoyed the favour of sahah jahan and towards the end shah jahan left all administration to dara and conferened on him the title of shah-i-buland iqbal.we all know that shah jahan fell seriously ill and all the princes began to take measures to assert their claims for the throne.in aurangzeb’s letters which he wrote to Shah jahan during the war of succession,he used to say that he is acting just for the sake of true faith and peace of the kingdom.all historians agree that auranzeb,s brothers were no match to him.he was far superior in all spheres,whether military or administrative.shah jahan was still alive when dara started to act as king. The king was seriously ill and was even unable to attend the court.Dara’s life meant the death of ablest auranzeb.this was the “survival of the fittest” and auranzeb through his tactics and military leadership emerged as “fittest”.in my own perception we should not take this war as the ’war between father and son”.and we see when shah jahan recovered from his illness,he ultimately became reconciled to auranzeb’s kingship and when he died in 1668,his daughter jahan ara begum who was with her father throughout his internment,presented aurangzeb with a letter of pardon written by shah jahan.
Frankenstein of css (Wednesday, February 25, 2009)