View Single Post
Old Friday, July 26, 2019

anzabb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obaidd View Post
This was a question in 2019 Pakistan Affairs exam:

“How far the nature of Centre-Province relations has changed under various amendments to the 1973 constitution? Evaluate”

Now I think this question requires knowledge of more than just 18th Amendment. How would you answer this question? @anzabb please give an outline if you can.
I can guide you on how I will answer, but this is not necessarily the only format. In exam, I will never do a question that has the word constitution in it, because I will be required to quote it, which so far I haven't been able to master
Also this is more like a rough draft than an outline

I would begin with an introduction about Pakistan being formed in 1947, but an effective or present constitution coming in 1973 (i will keep it brief.)
Then I will give a background (half page)
Provinces joined Pakistan because they wanted autonomy.
Tradition of dismissing the provincial governments, even Quaid did that
lingual issues
1971 disaster
Punjabization of Pakistan
conclusion: center province relations need to be stable
Main Points/heading
Important amendments (5th changed the role of the governor, 13 gave governor the right to dissolve the provincial assembly, which caused quite the heat, 16 extended the quota system, good for small provinces, 18 the most important)
Constitution made with a Concurrent list (policy making at the top level, public policy has to be bottom-up to be successful, not giving provinces the power delayed the process of local government) nature of relations: Public policy making capacity at center
Dismissing Provincial Governments (political reasons, done with constitutional means, quote the article, dangerous because it leads to trust deficit, today provinces have their autonomy, but they don't trust the center, recent case of 3 sindh hospitals showed the bitterness of the Sindh govt towards the center (i wont quote the whole issue just put the analysis here))
18 Amendment (transfer of power, NFC, chaos in the development sector, the amendment was done in a haphazard manner and the was a lack of provincial capacity)
Challenges: Federation is coordinating (problems of provincial capacity, details about the 4 Sindh hospitals, and capacity problems of the Baluchistan government)
Why reversal is a failure/success of the policy (your opinion with facts and anti-thesis of other's opinions) (this is not really required, but it will add weight to the answer)
conclusion: main point: There are problems, but we are on the right tract.

I would write half page for a para, and 1 heads for a para, I am not very good with the headings yet, and I am still practicing that, so I couldn't make a proper outline

- hope this helps
The Following User Says Thank You to anzabb For This Useful Post:
Obaidd (Friday, July 26, 2019)