View Single Post
Old Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Great Afnan is on a distinguished road
Default The essay that fetched me just 25 marks.I leave upto you to do justice.

Democracy and Illiteracy Do Not Move Together

Plato,one of the fathers of the western philosophy,onece remarked,"Tyranny naturally arises out of democracy".If he were alive,he would be suprised to observe that the present world opposes his perspestive tooth and nail.Contrary to what he believed,democracy,in today's world,is considered to be a pacea for all evils that could plague a society.To put it more simply,the humankind perceives democracy to be the road to glory and prosperity.The political system is presumed to be the path to economic progress,social harmony,and political stability.Truly,the western world would not have reached the pinnacles of development without practising democracy.Nevertheless,the viewpoint of Plato is truthful in at least one way:That democracy turns into a bane and becames a sham democracy if it is the political system of a country where illiteracy reigns supreme.In other words,the success of democracy,to a large extent,is contingent on the presence of an educated populace.

Democracy is the government of the people,by the people,and for the people.It is the political system where the citizens choose their rulers at local,regional,state,and national level so that their problems and issues could be resolved.The masses elect the a public representative to empower him with enough authority to provide them with quality education,quick justice,lasting peace,potable water,cheap electricity and housing,among other basic facilities.As e result,a society progresses from underdeveloped to developed gaining recognition from the comity of nations.However,this purpose of democracy goes in vain if the rabble that elects is uneducated and illiterate.

To give a casual view of the argument,illiterate electorate can't choose a wise politician.Nor can they make him accountable.In addition,illiteracy leads to poverty and population overgrowth,both of which inhibit the growth of democracy.Not only that,illiteracy begets terrorism and gender inequality.Collectively,all these prove to be impassable barriers to democracy.

To begin with,illiterate electorate can't choose wise rulers.Illiterate people are guided by emotions.They easily believe in false promises of a demagogue politician.They succumb to slogans of Roti,Kapra,and,Makaan and elect him.Such type of corrupt politicians,when come into power,destroy democracy and turn it into a feudal oligarchy.They kill merit,commit corruption,and do many other things harmful to democracy.The greatest example is that of the democracy in Pakistan.

Besides,illiteracy prevents people from making the rulers accountable.Illiterate people are unaware of the rights a public representative owes to them.Besides,they are poor at organising themselves and launching protests.Because of which,they are unable to make a politicaian accountable.As a recent example,Turkish populace was able to resist a military coup as it was highly educated and better at planning demonstrations.Without accountability,the rulers destroy institutions,control police,and politicise judiciary,to name a few antidemocratic actions.

In addition,illiterate people are prone to poverty.They don't have skills to be eligible for good jobs.This poverty makes them too obsessed with daily life tensions to spare time for engaging politics.This reduces vote turnout and results in poor representation.

Not only that,illiteracy leads to burgeoning population growth.Illiterate people subscribe to the myth that it is against relegion to exercise birth control.For instance,illiterate Muslims consider it anti Islamic to use contraception.When population goes uncontrolled,the state finds it hard to provide basic necessities to each and every citizen.Democracy is sham if it is unable to support the citizens with fundamental rights.

As if the aforementioned things were not enough that illiteracy also breeds gender disparity.Illiteracy leads a community to deprive women of their rights.It subjects women to cruel customs and traditions,which relegate their position to nothing.They are even prevented from participating in politics because of thesenegative customs.How can a democracy flourish where a majority does not take any part in politics.

Last but not the least,Illiteracy begets terrorism.Terrorists easily lure an illiterate person into thinking that the state is responsible for his current plight.So,they succeed in arming him and propelling him into carrying out antistate activities like suicide bombing.This results in disunity and violation of fundamental rights like the right to live,which is antithesis to democracy.

NOTE:Here,due to shortage of time,i did not write outline,two more arguments and conclusion.Just tell me,isn't it passable?except quite few modifications that i have done because i forget just few things,I have been able to reproduce what i wrote substantially.If it is not passable,what should have I done?If it is,then what sort of institution is it?Obaidd and other honourable members are requested to comment