View Single Post
Old Monday, May 04, 2020

Innocent Hafeez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nida Rizvi View Post
Why is the English writing important in CSS exam? What book should we consult when Wren & Martin, Dawn News Paper, academies remain unable to make your write-ups good?
I have taken an attempt in 2017. Although my score was 658 in total, I was failed in the essay(32) and precis papers(37). I didn't join any academy and prepared all the subjects myself. Now, I am thinking again to give CSS a dedicated try. For it, I have also taken online CSS coaching from the World Times Academy, but it was a total waste of time and money as all of the teachers and officers were of the lowest quality. Being a media person, I am in contact with many CSP officers and take guidance for the CSS exam on and off. Some days ago, I met an AC(G) with whom I got a chance to discuss my 2 years of preparation in detail. After listening to me very carefully he told me a fact that as long as I don't stop seeking coaching from a CSP officer, I cannot make it through. He further said, "Being an AC(G), although I qualified CSS with a distinction, I cannot teach you English essays and precis. I can be a competitive officer, but I am not a competitive teacher. The only reason behind the failure of thousand of CSS aspirants is nothing but academies and CSPs' coaching. In my life, I have hardly seen an officer from PAS, Foreign Services, or PSP joining an academy to teach aspirants. Literally, we don't have time to do this. When aspirants will accept this fact, they can be able to qualify CSS. The CSS exam is based on written expressions, and you can only qualify when you will be able to express your opinions fluently, coherently, and logically. Writing is crucial for CSS. You must read good English grammar books and find a mentor who can check your write-ups daily. You must develop a good vocabulary as vocabulary is the only essential part that enables your writing more effective and more expressive."
After listening to him, I concluded that I haven't only wasted some of my previous years but also lost a lot of money in CSS pursuit. Currently, I am working in a reputed news channel and also have taught in Beacon House School in Lahore, but I am still unable to express what I mean. I am new here, can anybody guide me on how to prepare for the essay and precis papers?
I agree to what you say. Academies pay attention only one week or so and then drag aspirants 2 to 3 months deliberately. Well, my suggestions:
1. Academies provide you only way; its upto you how you go ahead
2. Your score is good, i do not think your writing expression will be poor.
3. Just reading will not help you unless you practice. So, when you read dawn editorial, try to summarize it in your own words
4. Also, try to follow your favourite author's style. I, for instance, like Nadeem Farooq Paracha.
5. If suitable, you can write letters to editors. Since, you are a part of media, it wont be difficult for you. This practice can be helpfu in improving expression. Atleast, i can say it for myself
6. For precis paper, past papers are helpful. Atleast, you should cover vocab, idioms, pair of words from past papers. They can help you cover half of your paper, as they keep on repeating. Precis, composition and translation part require rigorous practice.
7. Essay is everyone's dilemma. A lot of material has been already shared on this forum, you can take it for guidance. To me, no book is going to help you in this paper, except your own practice. Others will guide you properly regarding essay. It would be better if you quote here Your attempted Essay. Just outline and intro. Let 's see what response you get from the memebers. Hope you get it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Innocent Hafeez For This Useful Post:
Sheikh Arham (Monday, May 04, 2020)