View Single Post
Old Friday, July 17, 2020

Muhammadwd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dream of rain View Post
1. Discuss the status of elderly people in Pakistani society.

Looking at the question at first i drew some other picture but then i pondered over this thought.

Status of elderly people in Pakistani society portrays a bleak picture. As the society is deprived of providing social and economic program for them. Therefore, they lack health facilities, face chronic diseases and mental health issues like depression, loneliness, etc. Besides, they also confront lack of resources, for instance, loss of income for their personal sustenance, economic dependency, social problems like loss of social relations, alienation from family and scarcity of elderly care units. Such a poor status of elderly people in Pakistani society is evident from society's reluctance to celebrate International Day for Older People.

Whats your take? Awaiting for views.
I had shared my views on this questions earlier on this thread. In my opinion, issues such as loneliness, and economic dependency, and personal sustenance don't hold much weight in Pakistan's society. Yes, there are increasing cases of neglect, but the answer can be structured with a top down approach that highlights the status of elderly people in our society with respect to social institutions such as family and religion, and then proceeds to present a modern take on the social standing of elderly people with our society leaning more towards the modern, materialistic world view. This can help explain the trend towards striving for financial independence from an early age, how that leads one away from his/her family, and how the care of the elderly is thus neglected. This point can be further elaborated by the need of elder care centers and the role of the state in ensuring basic human rights. However, one can also make a point of propagating the need of keeping the family unit strong, as it has historically been a stronghold of social relations with multiple actors involved in caring for each other. We can further add that religion as a social institution adds to our responsibility to our elders (Quran, 4:36, 17:23, 2:177). In my view, involving certain sociological aspects to our answer can help build strong arguments, whether positive or negative.