View Single Post
Old Friday, July 17, 2020

Muhammadwd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I agree with your opinion although the approach of The Dream of Rain is also correct regarding a certain segment in our society. This segment of population is small but will get bigger with the time as we are heading in a wrong direction. The glorification of working 10-12 hours a day in the name of financial independence (which is a fraud actually) is worsening the issue of elderly (along with many other problems but those are not in the scope of this question) in Pakistan. The elderly will remain dependent economically and socially just like a child in young age. This reality can't be avoided. Approaches to reach at this issue must be more than one as Pakistan is diverse but all of them should eventually require a same solution, a solution which doesn't create two more problems by solving one which happens in most of the societies.
In my opinion the solution will make a difference in this question, not approaches because owing to cultural diversity of Pakistan no matter how do you discuss this issue, it will be admissible up to some extent.
Agreed. However, I do wonder about the possible steps that can be taken. State intervention in cases of neglect with the state providing stipends to
needy families for the care of the elderly, can be one solution.
A bill addressing the rights of the elderly and duties of the young towards them can also be presented with neglect being a punishable offence, giving the elderly the right to invoke state help through hotline etc., much like the Zainab Alert Bill.
Like you said, this issue needs to be addressed first at the micro level (the family), and then the macro level (the government). There is only so much that the state can do to protect the hordes of elderly people that can possibly flood the streets as homeless people if the family structure is destroyed.