View Single Post
Old Tuesday, November 10, 2020

waqarsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuneezaRafiq View Post
I picked the essay pertaining to my field: English Literature. My topic was "Do we really need literature in our lives?" I lucked out because I had already practiced an outline based on the importance of literature. I had plenty of arguments to prove my point.

2020 is my second attempt. I failed in Essay alone in my first attempt, and I had 660 marks if I include the 33 marks I received in essay at the time.

Here's what I've learned:
1) Always choose the topic you have the most analytical knowledge about
2) Work on your handwriting; reading pages upon pages of chicken scratch is not fun for any examiner
3) Practice making as many outlines as you can on a wide variety of topics
4) Include small statistical facts and at least one quotation for each topic
5) Master the basic structure of an essay: Introduction, Body and Conclusion
6) Practice the essay topics from past papers

My last advice is this: identify your strength from the predictable areas which are covered by the essay topics each year. Education, philosophy, literature, politics, current affairs, technology, women, human rights, etc are your basic areas. Pick which ones you are most interested in, and then practice outlines of topics within that area.
I have devised a plan tailor made for myself. There are around 8-10 topic of which I'm sure we will be getting few essays. These topics are corona, globalization, cold war/ multi-polar world, rise of xenophobia, freedom of Speech, digitalization, governance, economic challenges and foreign policy. I have decided to sufficient material on these topics. Quotes, stats, and reference remain same for each topic. Then I will need to just practice at-least one essay on each and multiple outlines on different variants.

From what I have understood by analyzing failing candidates is that their essay do lack something. Sometimes they unknowingly deviate from topic or their outline is misleading right from start. Others have grammar issues. Some fail because of lack of quantity or quality. Those who are pure from all these might have suffered from lack of time management.

If I can manage to save my essay from these blunders then I will probably have good chance of passing essay.

BTW which subject did they fail you in this time?