View Single Post
Old Friday, May 22, 2009

Dr.G.AsgharMemon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Dr Sb, I do agree with u but in spoken, there is no hard and fast rule even in Uk or US. Distortion does occur as it happens in real life. As I am known to many laguages, sometime instead of replying in required language, I want to reply in some other language( e.g. english k paper mein punjabi mein jawab sojhta hy and its true, just observe urself honestly. Only ur concious effort helps U to anwer in English.) I have lived in these countries and talking about my personal experiences.
You r right. i have elaborated this pointed in my article on english in this post. Perhaps u didnot read it. i said, that we tend to think in our own language. and it is proved. psychologicaly, medically it has basis. during first three days or so a child has tendency to learn almost any language. and he is kind of neutral to all languages. But, after three days, he becomes acquainted with his native language cos that is mostly spoken before him. and he is able to diffrenciate with reliable accuracy which sound is his mothers sound.... it is for this reason that i said that one should be well versed with english language in its real form.

Quote:
I m not emphsizing the type or nature of movie. One can see according to his/her own taste. I still use to watch a movie from 9-10:30 (whatever is being broadcast) Star world and Star movies presents good movies with good english usage. Even Bloomberg is good. What I have observed in UK is that teachers show good cartoon movies, programs to children and later on ask them to pronounce those words with meanings.

Every person has his own way to teach or learn. I have learnt grammar especially usage of idioms and proverbs from movies. Everything has -ve side too but +ve side is for those who want to learn from everything.
i have got your point. you r most right on this. idioms and phrases may be learned from movies. movies are not only good for accent but for the purposes u have mentioned above. i also maintain, that this is fair use policy which u have adopted. but this is not the case with all people. most infact fall victim to catchphrases.. and thinking it good incorporate some of it in their sentences. nevertheless, i myself have watched movies abundantly for phonetics, language but at the same time with a cuatious eye so as not to fall for cheap phrases...
The Following User Says Thank You to Dr.G.AsgharMemon For This Useful Post:
Faisalmemon (Friday, May 22, 2009)