View Single Post
Old Saturday, May 23, 2009
Medal of Appreciation: Awarded to appreciate member's contribution on forum. (Academic and professional achievements do not make you eligible for this medal) - Issue reason: Qualifier: Awarded to those Members who cleared css written examination - Issue reason: Css 2010

Thanked 1,291 Times in 524 Posts
Viceroy is a splendid one to beholdViceroy is a splendid one to beholdViceroy is a splendid one to beholdViceroy is a splendid one to beholdViceroy is a splendid one to beholdViceroy is a splendid one to behold

Partial Solution
Everyday Science Paper 2001

Time Allowed: Three Hours Maximum Marks: 100
Note: Attempt any ten questions. All questions carry equalmarks.

Q. 1. (a) What were the special characteristics of Muslim Scientists?

(b) What were the contributions of the following Muslim Scientists:

(i) Umar AI-Khayyam.
(ii) Abu Ali Sina
(iii) ibn Hayyan
(iv). Jhn al Baitar
(v) Zakariya Al-Razi.

Q. 2. (a) Differentiate clearly between Cyclone, Huriicane and tornado.

(b)

(i) Name two minerals which are exported from Pakistan.

Gypsum and Common salt

(ii) Name some gem-minerals used in Jewellery.

Topaz, Emerald, Jade, Opel, Saphire, Garnet, Diamond etc.

(iii) What is dead sea.

(iv) Why does the Sun appears orange-red at the time of Sunrise and Sunset.

The earth's dust, gas and air particles scatter the sun's light in different directions. Violet light has a peculiar property due to which it gets scattered the most. Red light gets scattered the least.
At sunrise the earth is rotating towards the sun. Similarly, during sunset, the earth is rotating away from the sun. During these times the sunlight has to travel at an angle and thus cover a longer distance through the atmosphere. It encounters more obstacles in its path. Most of the colours, like green and violet, get scattered before the light reaches the earth. Since red is scattered the least, it is this colour that we see as it reaches us.

(v) Why does the total Eclipse can happen only at the new Moon.

Lunar eclipses can only happen when the Earth is between the Sun and the Moon, and that can only happen at full Moon. The moon passes completely into the earth's umbral shadow

For details

http://www.abc.net.au/science/features/lunaeclipse2007/

Q. 3. (a) Name popular forms of Energy. Write five various scientific devices used to convert one type of energy into another form of energy.

b) Write meaning of the following units:

(i) Barrel
(ii) Joule
(iii) Btu
(iv) KWh
(v) Newton.

Q. 4. Write short notes on any THREE of the following:

(i) Synthetic Polymers
(ii) Laser.
(iii) Pesticides
(iv) Fission and Fusion
(v) Pararnagnetism and Diamagnetism.

Q. 5. Write difference between:

(i) Microcomputer and minicomputer
(ii) Main frame and Super computer.
(iii) Hardware and Software.
(iv) Byte and Word.
(v) Ram and Cache memory.

Q. 6. Describe briefly the principle and working of any TWO of the following:

(i) Pressure cocker
(ii) Television
(iii) Microwave oven
(iv) Radar
(v) Tape recorder.

Q. 7. Differentiate between:

(i) DNA and RNA
(ii) Brass and Bronze
(iii) Blood and Lymph
(iv) Hard water and Heavy water
(v) Small pox and Measles
(vi) Pig iron and Stainless Steel.
(vii) Alloy and Amalgum
(viii) Isotopes and Isobars
(ix) Artery and Vein
(x) Barrage and Dam.

Q. 8. Explain the scientific reasons for the following:

(i) It is not advisable to sleep under trees during the night.
(ii) Water boils quicker on mountains.
(iii) Rainbow is produced in the sky after rain fall and sunlight.
(iv) Water remains cool in a Earthenware pitcher.
(v) Milk is considered as an ideal food.

Q. 9. Which of the following statements are true or false. Only write “True” or “False” in the answer book. Do not reproduce the statement.

(i) Urea is a phosphate fertilizer. (False)
(ii) Cellulose is a natural polymer. (True)
(iii) Magnetite is the ore of copper (False)
(iv) Malaria is caused by drinking polluted water. (False)
(v) The instrument used to measure velocity of wind is Barometer. (False)
(vi) Our eye is very sensitive to blue light. (False)
(vii) Sound can not travel through vacuum. (True)
(viii) Enzymes are biological catalyst. (True)
(ix) Leprosy is a disorder of Nervous System. (False)
(x) Mica is a non-conductor of electricity. (True)

Q.10 What are Endocrine glands? Name any four. From which part of the body are the followings secreted:

(i) Insulin
(ii) Thyroxin
(iii) Adrenaline
(iv) Oestrogen
(v) Testosterone and
(vi) Cortisol

(Discussed in paper 2000)

Q.11 (a) Name the important parts of a Flower.

A flower is regarded as a modified stem with shortened internodes and bearing, at its nodes, structures that may be highly modified leaves

Typical Flower Structure

Calyx:
the outer whorl of sepals; typically these are green, but are petal-like in some species.

Corolla:
the whorl of petals, which are usually thin, soft and colored to attract insects that help the process of pollination.

Androecium:
(from Greek andros oikia: man's house): one or two whorls of stamens, each a filament topped by an anther where pollen is produced. Pollen contains the male gametes.

Gynoecium:
(from Greek gynaikos oikia: woman's house): one or more pistils. The female reproductive organ is the carpel: this contains an ovary with ovules (which contain female gametes). A pistil may consist of a number of carpels merged together, in which case there is only one pistil to each flower, or of a single individual carpel (the flower is then called apocarpous). The sticky tip of the pistil, the stigma, is the receptor of pollen. The supportive stalk, the style becomes the pathway for pollen tubes to grow from pollen grains adhering to the stigma, to the ovules, carrying the reproductive material.
b)

Explain the Pollination and Fertilization processes.

Pollination
The transfer of pollen from the anthers of a flower to the stigma of the same flower or of another flower. Pollination is a prerequisite for
fertilization:

the fusion of nuclei from the pollen grain with nuclei in the ovule. Fertilization allows the flower to develop seeds.

Summary - Pollination and Fertilization

Flowers contain the structures necessary for sexual reproduction. The male component, or stamen, consists of a thin stalk called the filament, capped by the anther. The female component, the pistil, includes the stigma, a sticky surface that catches pollen; the ovary, which contains the ovule and embryo sac with its egg; and the style, a tube that connects the stigma and ovary (A).

Pollen is produced in the anther (B), and is released when mature (C). Each mature pollen grain contains two sperm cells. In self-pollinating plants, the pollen lands on the stigma of the same flower, but in cross-pollinating plants—the majority of plants—the pollen is carried by wind, water, insects, or small animals to another flower. If the pollen attaches to the stigma of a flower from the same species, the pollen produces a pollen tube, which grows down the neck of the style, transporting the sperm to the ovule (D).

Within the embryo sac of the ovule, one sperm cell fertilizes the egg, which develops into a seed. The second sperm cell unites with two cells in the embryo sac called polar nuclei, and this results in the development of the endosperm, the starchy food that feeds the developing seed. The ovary enlarges (E) and becomes a fruit.

Q.12 Write short notes on any FiVE of the following:

(i) Ecosystem
(ii) CNG
(iii) PVC
(iv) Hormones
(v) Antibiotics
(vi) Ceramics
(vii) Green House Effect
(viii) Photosynthesis
(ix) Pasteurization
(x) Vaccine.

Q.13 What are the factors of water pollution? What types of diseases are transmitted by using polluted the methods to control pollution of water.

Q.14 Fill in the blanks with appropriate words:

(i) The purpose of computer is store, retrieve, and process information

(ii) polio is caused by Virus

(iii) The stalagmite is deposit of Calcium Carbonate

(iv) Bauxite is one of the ores of Aluminium

(v) The chemical name of washing soda is Sodium Carbonate

(vi) The main constituent of Sui gas is Methane

(vii) Violet color has the shortest wave length.

(viii) Glass is an amorphous solid.

(ix) Monomers of protein are Amino Acids

(x) Ascorbic acid is vitamin C

(xi) The solar system has 8 planets

(xii) Aids is caused by Human Immunodeficiency Virus

(xiii) In a normal resting person the rate of heart heat is 70 bpm

(slightly varying values from different sources)

(xiv) The science which deals with heredity is known as Genetics

(xv) In Pakistan Copper mineral is found in Saindak

(xvi) The most abundant element in the earth crust is Oxygen

(xvii) Manometer is an apparatus used tbr measuring the pressure of
gases.

(xviii) The smallest branches of an artery lead into tiny blood vessels are
called arterioles

(xix) The living part of a plant cell is composed of a nucleus and cellulose

(xx) The fastest revolving planet is Mercury

Disclaimer
This material is intended, but not promised or guaranteed to be accurate
I have only used "featured" or "protected" articles from Wikipedia (if they are used)
Aspirants are advised not to rely on the solution and use it for revision purpose only
I will try my best to post a paper each day till we reach the final 2009 paper

Last edited by Xeric; Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 06:04 PM.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Viceroy For This Useful Post:
awaisnaveed (Friday, June 05, 2009), dr.atifrana (Saturday, May 23, 2009), Engr.Aftab (Sunday, May 24, 2009), irfihyder (Wednesday, December 11, 2013), M Zahid Gondal (Sunday, March 10, 2013), M.Murtaza (Monday, April 05, 2010), oxon (Tuesday, November 06, 2012), pisceankhan (Sunday, August 17, 2014), ramshakhan (Sunday, May 24, 2009), Saba Alam (Tuesday, March 12, 2013), sanu (Thursday, September 09, 2010), sumaira85 (Thursday, February 10, 2011), uzma khan youzaf zai (Saturday, October 24, 2009)